Depressing tech journalism

sunrat

This guy has a seriously glass-half-empty view on life. Most of the issues may be true some of the time for some of the people, and some may be ongoing generic Linux issues that are difficult to fix due to proprietary insouciance or the hurdle of the almighty dollar. Many are niche problems affecting a minority of users or having easy workarounds.

Somehow despite the issues, millions of people happily use Linux. And many millions more use Windows or Macs despite their shortcomings.

It made me cringe many times reading these articles, particularly some of the blatant inaccuracies in the "best distro" article. Worth a read for a laugh or a cringing wimper at least, and there are some good points.

Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2017 edition

Best Linux Distro for the Desktop in 2017

or

a Guide on How to Choose a Linux Distribution Properly

In my view as an experienced user, there are a few reasons to try Linux:

• You are an IT professional or aspire to be one.
  • You are a closet geek and want to learn something new, keep your mind active if you are getting on in years.
  • You have an old set of hardware that you'd like to keep in service, rather than recycle.
  • You are old, poor and computer illiterate. Your needs are simple and non-specific. You have an old PC that runs XP and cannot afford a new one. However you know someone who can help you get started, will give tips, and will do your maintenance for you.

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are the ones in my immediate sphere of influence.

There's no free lunch. If you want to use something as good as Linux and pay nothing for the privilege I don't think it's unfair to expect that you'll need to put in some time to learn. Did you know everything about Windows the first time you turned on a PC?

• Like 1

Hedon James

• You are a closet geek and want to learn something new, keep your mind active if you are getting on in years.
  • You have an old set of hardware that you'd like to keep in service, rather than recycle.
  • You are old, poor and computer illiterate. Your needs are simple and non-specific. You have an old PC that runs XP and cannot afford a new one. However you know someone who can help you get started, will give tips, and will do your maintenance for you.

I'm sure there are more reasons but these are the ones in my immediate sphere of influence.

There's no free lunch. If you want to use something as good as Linux and pay nothing for the privilege I don't think it's unfair to expect that you'll need to put in some time to learn. Did you know everything about Windows the first time you turned on a PC?

I agree with those, but would add 2 more that, for ME, belong at the top of that list as 1a and 1b:

1a. You are sick of spending spare moments on troubleshooting issues for a "professional" and proprietary system that you spent good $$$ on, but seems to be designed to slowly degrade, and that requires a bunch of "add-on" software to slow the degradation process.....not to stop it, but to SLOW it down! (I still troubleshoot, but it isn't to fix a system that I paid good money for, and once fixed, tends to stay fixed due to lack of virus/malware)

1b. The desktop paradigm utilized by most of the world just doesn't quite cut it for you, and there's no way for you to change it.

• Like 1

You are a closet geek and want to learn something new, keep your mind active if you are getting on in years.

That is the one I like best and fits me to a T. 78 years young.

Mel

How about not wanting to see advertisements on your desktop? I can hardly believe what I read about win10 and ads. At least I know that I won't be seeing that in linux.

How about not wanting to see advertisements on your desktop? I can hardly believe what I read about win10 and ads. At least I know that I won't be seeing that in linux.

What ads? I decrapified my Win 10 and used a script to remove all of MS junk and ads. Don't get them anymore.

What ads? I decrapified my Win 10 and used a script to remove all of MS junk and ads. Don't get them anymore.

My thoughts exactly. No ads on Win 10 here. Win10Privacy utility is magic! https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

V.T. Eric Layton

I agree with those, but would add 2 more that, for ME, belong at the top of that list as 1a and 1b:

1a. You are sick of spending spare moments on troubleshooting issues for a "professional" and proprietary system that you spent good $$$ on, but seems to be designed to slowly degrade, and that requires a bunch of "add-on" software to slow the degradation process.....not to stop it, but to SLOW it down! (I still troubleshoot, but it isn't to fix a system that I paid good money for, and once fixed, tends to stay fixed due to lack of virus/malware)

1b. The desktop paradigm utilized by most of the world just doesn't quite cut it for you, and there's no way for you to change it.

YESSSSSSS, BROTHER! YES! Say it again! Can I have a Hallelujah?

Hi All,

I read mhbell's comment (#4) and chuckled. At 82 (pushing 83) I feel that for me, he hit the nail on the head. I have used Linux for a long time,but somehow never became a GURU.

While somewhat sad I never became a GURU,life is more than just computers.Out of the six or seven computers I have around the house and garage,all are various Linux boxes.Now playing around with Android phones for the wife and I. Tech never stops and while the wife and I are behind the curve we will muddle on. In addition I have managed to convert my neighbor in to a linux fan.His Dell Win7 box became un-usable with so much junk, that he tried to install Windows 8.1 which failed then windows 10 which also failed. To the rescue was Linux mint 18 that installed on his machine without so much as a hicup.

He happily uses Linux now and while I am not quite sure he fully understands what Linux is compared to Windows,It dose'nt seem to matter, as he can do all the things he needs to do.

I even convinced my neighbor to throw away his "Flip phone' for a new "smart phone". Now he impresses his friends with his new found tech skills.

Through the years this forum from Bruno on has had great people who try their best to help others.

Carry On,

jolphil

• Like 3

Of course you could all start to write articles instead of just blowing of steam here :whistling: an who knows you might even get paid for them :harhar:

Hallelujah

I agree with the below.

• You are old, poor and computer illiterate. Your needs are simple and non-specific.
  • You are sick of spending spare moments on troubleshooting issues for a "professional" and proprietary system that you spent good $$$ on, but seems to be designed to slowly degrade, and that requires a bunch of "add-on" software to slow the degradation process.....not to stop it, but to SLOW it down! (I still troubleshoot, but it isn't to fix a system that I paid good money for, and once fixed, tends to stay fixed due to lack of virus/malware)
  • The desktop paradigm utilized by most of the world just doesn't quite cut it for you,