KB3033929 Causing Infinite Loop Reboot on Win 7 Systems

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

A patch released this past Tuesday is wreaking havoc among Win 7 users. It caused me to waste nearly 2 hour of my life trying to update my main and laptop systems.

Situations such as this remind me how easy it is for me to HATE ALL THINGS MICROSOFT!!! Granted, I'd have to admit that Win 7 has been a relatively trouble-free version of MS's vulnerable... er, I mean venerable operating system. One bad day with Windows can really turn me off, though.

By the way, MS has NOT issued a re-patch or an explanation for this bugaboo yet. Most tech sites are recommending that you just mark the update as "hidden," so the updater will stop nagging you about installing it. I assume that MS will resolve this some day.

Oops... forgot the link to the news story --> http://news.softpedi...op-475631.shtml

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 2

Eric, I always wait until I get the WIndows Secrets newsletter (paid edition) on the Thursday after "Update Tuesday" to apply MS updates. Susan Bradley will do a report on the released updates as to what is safe, and what to put on hold. Sometimes I'll wait for the next edition just to make sure if there are a large number of updates. The paid edition is pay whatever you want to...

Susan is a MS MVP like our fellow Highlander Corrine.

• Like 2

I read this has to be installed after 3035131. I saved that update till last and had no problems on the four Win 7 computers that I updated. (32 and 64 bit Home Premium and Pro mixed).

More news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/13/microsoft_reborks_latest_windows_7_patch/

HP and Dell are mentioned. My husband's desktop is an old refurbed Dell Optiplex. His is fine..

Edited by zlim
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Might be some info on getting it to work here: https://social.techn...w7itprosecurity

If this is a dual-boot Linux/Windows issue as it seems from reading that thread above, I'll just delete KB3033929 and never try to install it again. If I have to, I'll remove networking from Win 7 and cripple it as I did with Win XP at one time. I only use Windows for games, anyway. I don't need Internet or Network access for that.

Once again I lucked out with my mother's laptop running win 7 pro 64. Ironically, it did occur to me just as I was installing updates on Wednesday that I had promised myself to wait a few days each month so problems could come to light. Luckily, I had no problems, but when looking at the history I notice that as Liz mentioned, KB3035131 did install before KB3033929.

Generally I wait 1 - 3 days after updates and read about the fallout. I also do any IE and the malicious malware removal tool first, usually on Patch Tuesday. (If IE breaks, I'd never notice it. :teehee: ) Then I read up on the critical updates because my numbers don't always match the ones in the Security Bulletins and start looking for any complaints.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, my laptop updated OK, it seems. However, a third attempt on my main system choked. I'm giving up on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

New info from Susan Bradley on this update. Dual booting system (Windows and linux was mentioned) will have a problem with that update. So that's why Eric had a problem but I didn't. I dual boot but it is XP and 7.

Hide the update Eric and forget about installing it.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I read about the dual boot thing. Oddly, though... I'm running the exact same set up on my laptop as on my main system... LILO booting Slackware and Win 7. However, the laptop updated without a burp.