26 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   RichardKR

RichardKR

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

OK, I've got Mint 15 64 bit running live off a USB stick.  Internet connected via wireless, no problem.  Now I need to be able to see my windows 7 machines.  I couldn't see anything on my home network until I installed winbind.  Now I at least see a windows network folder and when I click on it, I get MDVGROUP and WORKGROUP folders.  Clicking on them yields only a timeout.  WORKGROUP is the default name I kept for my windows machines so there should be at least 2 machines showing in that folder.
Any ideas?

#27 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Check the permissions on the Windows shared folders. From the Linux side you usually have to create a Samba user (as distinct from a local Linux user) that matches the owner of the Windows share with matching passwords to seamlessly connect to the share. Otherwise you will have to provide the Windows username/password of the owner of the share.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, newbie, tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users