File Manager -- which ?

abarbarian

abarbarian

So I am back up and running with Arch and I need a file manager as I am too lazy to do everything with the cli.

I'd like something like SpaceFM where you could open up several panes and drag and drop content across them. Would like the ability to open up a root version for when I need to alter system .configs. Nice to have the ability to open up a terminal from the program. Needs to be light on system use and fast and reliable.

Has to be pretty and look good with Window Maker.

Any suggestions folks ?

:whistling:

Hedon James

Another +1 for PCManFM! But if you're going with PManFM, you should really consider tweaking it with custom actions/scripts, which seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Madebits has a bunch of preconfigured scripts, previously discussed and linked here (post #6):

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=93415

I installed a DEB for my Lubuntu remix, but I'm sure there's a zip file somewhere for Arch. They're just text scripts that PCManFM picks up and places in a right-click menu. PCManFM and the Madebits action scripts, plus a few others I have found (such as compressing PDFs) are my FAVORITE file manager, bar none. JMO...

• Like 1

Might not be a good solution for you, abarbarian, but I've gone from using SpaceFM exclusively to using Double Commander now. But I drop to the command line to do things as root, and I don't know about the "pretty and look good" part.

securitybreach

Another +1 for PCManFM! But if you're going with PManFM, you should really consider tweaking it with custom actions/scripts, which seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Madebits has a bunch of preconfigured scripts, previously discussed and linked here (post #6):

http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=93415

I installed a DEB for my Lubuntu remix, but I'm sure there's a zip file somewhere for Arch. They're just text scripts that PCManFM picks up and places in a right-click menu. PCManFM and the Madebits action scripts, plus a few others I have found (such as compressing PDFs) are my FAVORITE file manager, bar none. JMO...

Nice I have been using it for years and didn't know about that.

Of course if you want to go with anti-pretty, there's always ROX-Filer:

rox-filer_zpsvwxg89hr.png

Perfect if you loved Windows 3.0

If Rox-Filer were an ocean cruise:

AbandonShip.jpg

• Like 1

abarbarian

Might not be a good solution for you, abarbarian, but I've gone from using SpaceFM exclusively to using Double Commander now. But I drop to the command line to do things as root, and I don't know about the "pretty and look good" part.

Thanks folks for your thoughts.

I think I will give PCManFM and Double Commander a go. PCManFM is pretty lightweightbut may not have all I would like. DC is quite a big program and you could just about do all your every day stuff from within it if you added all the plugins to it.

Seems you can use Total Commander plugins with DC. Darn TC plugins are almost all for Windows.

http://99-developer-...7-zip-support/

Double Commander supports Total Commander plugins.

Total Commander Plugins

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

Hedon James

http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=93415

Nice I have been using it for years and didn't know about that.

I stumbled onto that when I was looking into integrating caja FM into lxde, as caja had everything I was used to & looking for. But now I actually prefer pcmanfm with the madebits scripts, as it does everything I wanted caja for, but in a lighter weight package. Winner!

I don't know how to open a root window of Double Commander, like I'd been doing with SpaceFM. Well, except for with the gksu doublecmd command. Maybe I'm missing something. However, I'm finding that I'm actually okay with not doing that. I guess I'm better at the command line than I give myself credit for sometimes.

So, instead of using gksu doublecmd, I'm working with files that require root access by using sudo (or su, if you prefer) with just a handful of commands, like mkdir, touch, rm, mv, cp -- you know the drill. And, I like nano.

I read somewhere that it's better to do root stuff from the command line instead of with a GUI. Not sure if that's true, or why it would be. I really got used to (and, perhaps, spoiled by) opening up a root window in SpaceFM (File > Root Window).

But, whatever, CLI is fine, I can go either way. More than one way to skin a... oh, wait, maybe I shouldn't write that. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well I think that is mainly because most GUIs will save the password for X number of minutes which could easily be a security hole. Let's say you entered the password and the GUI kept it in memory, you step away from your computer and someone else sits down and now they have full root access.

• Like 1

Wow, never knew that. Well, chances of that happening here (someone sitting down to my computer when I step away) are somewhere between slim and none, leaning heavily towards the latter!

• Like 2

abarbarian

So, instead of using gksu doublecmd, I'm working with files that require root access by using sudo (or su, if you prefer) with just a handful of commands, like mkdir, touch, rm, mv, cp -- you know the drill. And, I like nano.

More than one way to skin a... oh, wait, maybe I shouldn't write that. :)

Yup that root feature was the one that I liked. Using su to go root from the DC terminal is a neat work around and nano is a neat simpl tool. If I used the cli for copying and moving stuff I would soon end up in trouble.

As you might if you keep mentioning skinning :harhar:

• Like 1