On Board Sound

Mikey

Well first time for everthing. Built my own P4 2.4 using Asus P4S8X moboard with C-media sound on board. But sound drivers won't load... So installed known working SB Live card and its drivers won't load either. Only message is 'data was bad' or something like it.Same thing happens with latest drivers... is this a toughie or something real obvious I missed? Only info on disabling board sound and bios has settings only for auto or disable.Help please (everything else works great) Mikey

One quick question, does the "Found New Hardware" dialogue box pop up when you boot your machine with the Sound Blaster card installed and the on board sound disabled??

:( Hi mickey , i would say try disabling your on board sound card.....C media through the bios........and then install your sblive card......as far as i am concerned when i had used win2k i never had this issue, i just disabled the onboard sound on the first ever boot.....take yur time and progress systematically documenting all the step u have taken.good luck.

Thanks for the questions and suggestions. Running windows XP home. Disabling on board sound thru BIOS did not help. I did go thru the 'found new hardware' bit several times... in fact it sometimes noted more than one 'new hardware' audiovisual controller.When I start up now I get no such hardware message. I've used the device manager (that shows no drivers installed) and checked install drivers... it finds the drivers but then aborts with the message "There was a problem installing this hardware: C-Media Audio Device. An error ocurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid."I'm able to verify this info as I go (I'm on another machine). My preference is to use the on board sound with this machine (my SB cards belong with other equipment I have).If we can solve this one I can go back to an old problem on my AMD 100 W98SE wSB Live and fuzzy sound.Mikey

Mikey,Which Bios version are you running? The latest is 1004 for your board. I had built a system for a friend with the same board and had a similar problem with the on board sound. I updated from 1003 to the 1004 Bios and had no problems there after. Don't know why the SB shouldn't work. We didn't try another card, like you we wanted the on board sound.ASUS doesn't list any known issue on their support site nor does the 1004 Bios state a fix for the sound. So I can't say this is a definitive fix only that it worked for me.Christopher

Sorry people... out of town for a week and then cable troubles put me off line. I'm using latest BIOS 1004. In discussion with others it's been suggested the board is faulty... is this really likely?(I'm about 60 days into the 90 day OEM warranty)Mikey

Marsden11

Sometimes hardware is dead right after pulling it out of the box. I hope this is not the case with your board but it does happen.

I tried what Temmu suggested because yes I have exclamation against the multimedia controller in device manager. But the only bios option is 'auto' or 'no' for pnp so I shifted to no, restarted, then back to 'auto' and restarted. Can't get pnp to relocate and reinstall items. Of course I did that the first time thru and located the pnp stuff and loaded drivers except for the audio. I'm not sure a reload would work but I'm willing to try it if there is a way to force pnp to repeat.Mikey