AMD + Apple

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

I know this isn't the perfect place to put this discussion, but the Windows and Applications description does say something relating to the future of OS's. (Feel free to move message where ever)OK, LET THE RUMORS FLY!For a while now, there have been rumors and predictions about the future of Apple's processors. Apple's processors have been on the slow side for a while now. They keeps refuting that its not all about the speed of the processor, but how it integreates with the OS and how the OS works etc. But, why not just stick a faster chip in! There have been tons of article and rumors/ predictions that Apple "will make the switch" (no pun inteded;)) to AMD or Intel.In a recent article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/30372.html), the register was reporting that in an interview with Marty Seyer, the head of AMD's server business, Seyer shyed away from questions involving their relationship with Apple (infact, he tried to change the subject). Should this lead one to believe that AMD and Apple may have a future?(Keep in mind that many companies do talk to competitors just to keep they partners in line)WDUT? will this ever happen? if so, when?My guess is that eventually, Motorola/IMB (or whoever is making them now) will either have to speed up their processors or get a 64 bit thing going, or apple with make the switch. But, i don't see it in the near future. What needs to happen b4 Apple may switch (IMHO);a period of stabilty before they do anythingtime b4 they make another big computer release (ex. the new imac: they ppl that just bought those arn't going to run out anytime soon to buy a new one with a different chip). They need to wait awhile. lower their prices (i assume) that the motorola chips are less than Intel/AMD. Apples are expensive as they are now; raising the prices even more may not be such a great move. But, i don't think adding AMD's would raise the price that much. AMD would probably give Apple a very good deal b/c of the business Apple would generate. Plus, maybe if Apple used AMD's they wouldn't have to put dual processors in to achive the speed they want. On the other hand, people would still probably want the duel processors anyway.WDUT?LET THE RUMORS FLY

Guest ComputerBob

I'm fascinated by this topic, and all of the possible ramifications that such a move would have on the entire industry.I don't know if it's even a possibility for Apple, though. The last I heard, I think Apple's share of the computer market was around 4% and dropping. I have no idea what their financials look like, or if they'd have the $$$ to gamble on making such a big change.But, I'm all for anything that gives us all more choices, so if Apple could pull it off, I think that would be a generally positive thing for us consumers.

On PC Magazine's web site, John Dvorak started the latest round of rumours in his column, titled, Apple Switch and a subsequent one called, How the MacIntel will change the world. These rumors have been swirling for about 3 years now, ever since OS X was first released. Last year I was quite intrigued by all this that I even downloaded Darwin, the development kernel for Apple's current OS, which is a customised BSD kernel. Darwin runs on the Intel x86 architecture and I think that's why so many people are hoping Apple switches their platform from Motorola to Intel or heaven forbid, AMD.Can you image OS XI running on an Opteron? That would sell like hotcakes in the Intel/AMD hardware community, but I don't know about Apple's core MacAddicts. I can see the headlines, "Apple Sells Out!" There's also the possibility that even if Apple switches platforms, it dosen't mean their OS will install on a non-Apple machine. Remember, Apple likes to control their hardware.

nlinecomputers

Dvorak is full of it. Why would Apple switch to Intel when IBM is about to putout there new PowerPC 970. Who do think there making them for? It was a dumb article like many of his "rumors" that don't ever pan out. Mac is a powerpc why reinvent the wheel when they will have a new processor with the power needed?

Dvorak  is full of it.
That's the consensus around the web. Yet, he's not the only one flying these rumours; just the most high-profile.

These rumors are putting a damper on my upcoming purchase of a Mac. I’m planning on switching over for various reasons, mainly for graphic and web design (my current setup isn’t pulling it’s weight plus its forever freezing).I’m looking at a G4 tower, but if Apple officially announces something at their Worldwide Developers Conference in June, then I’m for sure going to wait.As with all technology new stuff comes out: faster, better performance, etc. and prices drop… but if Apple switches from the Motorola chipset to a chipset from IBM, Intel, or AMD then that makes my system vastly outdated…It is a dilemma none the less. I guess that just means I will probably never get a Mac, and I will be stuck with my 2 ½ year-old laptop.

These rumors are putting a damper on my upcoming purchase of a Mac.  I’m planning on switching over for various reasons, mainly for graphic and web design (my current setup isn’t pulling it’s weight plus its forever freezing).
I'd still buy the Mac if that's what you want to do. Remember, this is all conjecture. Besides, if you get one, you can regale us with your tales of woe and war stories about tweaking OS X B)

nlinecomputers
...as to dvorak and rumors, he usually is the one squashing them... he's pretty often on target.
Well that is a whole 'nother topic. I disagree with that statement but that is offtopic.
as to why this makes a lot of sense, (as i posted elsewere on this board) motorola is also a chip making giant. it just does not move anywhere near as fast as amd or intel... also, they often cannot keep up with apple's volume. so why wouldn't apple go for it?
Cuz they don't need to. Yes Apple will change processors. But not architechure. The IBM chip is based on PPC just like what Apple now uses. IBM helped design PPC. The IBM chip is fast enough to out run current Intel chips. Why change to an Intel based chip and all the problems jumping ship would do when they have an answer allready.

SonicDragon
These rumors are putting a damper on my upcoming purchase of a Mac.  I’m planning on switching over for various reasons, mainly for graphic and web design (my current setup isn’t pulling it’s weight plus its forever freezing).I’m looking at a G4 tower, but if Apple officially announces something at their Worldwide Developers Conference in June, then I’m for sure going to wait.As with all technology new stuff comes out: faster, better performance, etc. and prices drop… but if Apple switches from the Motorola chipset to a chipset from IBM, Intel, or AMD then that makes my system vastly outdated…It is a dilemma none the less.  I guess that just means I will probably never get a Mac, and I will be stuck with my 2 ½ year-old laptop.
I doubt they will switch for at least 2 yrs but, again this is just me guessing.ComputerBob - I agree, Apple needs some money b4 any of this happens