email in Sea Monkey browser

longgone

Need some help/advice on this. I am using the Sea Monkey browser/email client combo and this problem has just popped up and I have no idea where it came from. I can select any message to view and that is about the end of the session right there. I cannot select another one, I cannot delete the one I selected. Basically the email program just freezes up solid. I cannot get out of it normally by closing the window, all it does is do into a shaded grey format and the only way I have found to get out is to either shut down or restart and then I can go onto other things but I cannot do anyhthing with the email. Any thoughts/ideas what/where I should look for the solution???

No,, haven't tried either one of those.Not sure what the outcome would be, but I guess the worst would be the same as I already have. A froze up mail client.

Do you know if it is your browser's problem, or is it the OS? Have you tried another browser such as Firefox, to see if the other browser functions correctly? If the alternate browser functions normally, then perhaps consider re-installing the broken one, or keep on using the alternate browser.

Unfortunately, Firefox is not a suite, including email like SeaMonkey is. There is no way to compare a browser to an email problem in a browser/email combo.

I only use SeaMonkey in linux and I've never used the email client so I can't offer any tips.

Edited by zlim

Ah haaaa....... recent info here, don't know what to do with it but anyway,,, on my machine I have 3 hard drives installed, 1 1TB and 2 2TB.... All three have windows as the first partition. The primary one has WIin 10 Home, the other two have Win 8.1. I just changed the 1st boot device from Master 0 to Slave 0 to boot into it. Everything works as far as the email goes. Now back to original problem on Master 0 (all drives are SATA), I do have Firefox on it an I downloaded Thunder Chicken email client. I have the same problem in Thunder Chicken as I have in Sea Monkey email, I can select, can't delete and the machine freezes up. One extra item, it seems for unknown reason, while on the Master 0 hard drive the activity light for the hard drive is constantly active, on Slave 0 there is an occasional flash and that is all. Could this be an indication that Master 0 is getting ready to head south?

I used to clog up my hard drive by storing my emails on my hard drive. For some years now, I've been using Google for my emails. This way I can access my emails anywhere I happen to be at the moment. They provide the storage, and the service. And the price is right, free! I've also been using browsers which don't call home and forwaard my data to the Gov't. For security, I use HTTPS, and a free proxy called Zenmate, which also provides VPN for my correspondence.

The nice thing about Google is that it doesn't care which browser that I happen to use. The results for the most part, always come out the same. To me that's stability. When one runs a suite, splitting the browser function from the email function is a hard call. They are melded together. And that creates problems. Can you temporarily disable the email function from the browser, and still use the browser? If you can, then as a trial you could try an external email browser to see the results.

Good luck on finding out the source of your problem.

V.T. Eric Layton

Two things real quick, Dale...

1. There's no such thing as Master/Slave relationships with SATA drives. They all share the SATA bus equally. So, Master/Slave is just a name. It has no relationship to how the drives function.

2. Often, with Mozilla products, you can solve most issues by just deleting your Profile for whichever app you're experiencing problems with. WARNING, THOUGH... deleting profiles means you will lose your setup/preferences/stored emails/stored bookmarks, extensions, etc. It will give you a fresh start for the apps (Seamonkey, FF, TB, etc.) with all default settings. However, scrapping the Profile, albeit a sledgehammer solution, is often the easiest to resolve unknown quirky issues. Over years of usage, the Profiles due tend to get a bit boogered up. It's the nature of the beast.

---

About Profiles in Moz products....

It's always a good idea to back up your profiles in triplicate; each a month older than the previous backup. That way you can revert back to a previous profile before the issues manifested themselves. It's tedious and time consuming, but it does protect you from having to completely delete corrupted profiles and re-setting up your apps. In Linux, the profiles are usually kept in a hidden directory in your /home/dale directory under the name .mozilla and .thunderbird. The former has Seamonkey and Firefox profiles; the latter Thunderbird.

kkvfbw7.png

Backing up and replacing profiles is as simple as Cutting/Copying/Pasting the above directories.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bringing this one back up since the situation has changed. On the SATA drive that is plugged into the SATA 0 slot I now have WIN 10 Pro with Sea Monkey as the main browser. (Learned a few lessons on this one that I shall not ever try again) The mail client in Sea Monkey still gives me fits, I can download the mail from the server, I can read it, I can print it if I want to, I can forward it. I just cannot, for love, money or anything else you can think of delete it. Select whatever email I want, click on delete and that kills that session. It won't delete it and after I have done that, I cannot do anything else except either shut down or restart. I browsed a bit through Sea Monkey topics and one thing that came up was that the "trash" folder could be corrupted, but, it did not give any info on how to fix the problem.

As an additional bit of information, I also installed TBird just to do comparison and TBird appears to work fine. So I am all ears for advice/assist on this.

FWIW, Thunderbird works fine for me. Only downside is that Mozilla is dropping support and maybe handing it off to another entity (?). However, there was a recent update for me from OpenSuSE and my mother's win7 system also got a notification for an update, so apparently there's some support at this point.

I have been trying TBird with no problems encounter so far. I have, thought about doing an install of an earlier version of Sea Monkey to see if the problem would go away. I don't think it would hurt anything to try it and see what the results weould be.