HPe now owns Suse

crp

First Novell buys it up, than Attachmate buys Novell, then MacroFocus buys Attachmate and now HewlettPackardE buys MacroFocus.

Either Suse is really liked by big data companies or really not wanted once owned :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yipes. HP seems to be the kiss of death for anything these days, and I've been a devoted SuSE user since 2004. :'(

Yeah, but you use the community-driven opensource version -- OpenSuSE. Don't worry. I don't think that will be going anywhere any time soon. :)

• Like 1

For a few years back in the day when I had the money, I did buy just to support them. But you're right, I've been using the open source version for some time now.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Yipes. HP seems to be the kiss of death for anything these days, and I've been a devoted SuSE user since 2004. :'(

Do you have any examples of this? They sell Linux computers and servers, plus their printers are some of the most widely supported printers on Linux

Kiss of death was probably bad wording. Company seems to have been struggling for some years now, with many layoffs and "new approaches" to their business model. In addition to linux support, I think their printers are great (or maybe used to be, can't tell yet), but they seem to be having difficulty knowing just where they want to go business-wise. Who knows--maybe this most recent split into two separate companies will produce a good result.

securitybreach

Well they split into two companies back in 2014, one handles enterprise support and the other one handles home users/small businesses. In my opinion, this makes a lot of sense instead of spreading yourself too thin.

I actually work as a contractor for HPE (HP Enterprises) in my current position (for the last 9 months or so)..

BTW their new printers are just as easy to setup under Linux as the previous models were.

V.T. Eric Layton

My only complaint with my HP Envy All-In-One printer is that it is INSANELY DIFFICULT to print envelopes. With my old HP 842c, you just slid the envelope in the slot and BAM! It got printed. With this Envy, you practically have to disassemble the printer to load and envelope, then half the time it feeds from the paper tray instead of feeding the envelope. I've never actually successfully printed an envelope on this thing yet. :(

Oh, and HP's printer cartridges are still way too expensive. :(

But Linux support is awesome! :)

securitybreach

I do not know about envelopes but then again, I do not know the last time I actually snail-mailed something...

As far as the ink, I recently seen that HP now offers ink replacement as a service for home users. Still a rip off but they have 3 different levels of price levels. They ranged from $2.99 a month to 9.99 a month depending on how much you print. I guess they figure out the estimates of how often you have to change out ink depending on usage. I have 2 basically brand new HP wireless printer/scanners because ink replacement cost almost as much as a new printer does.

My old HP Laserjet 1220 still chugs along after 11 years. Toner cartridges a little expensive but last for several years. I'm afraid the toner cartridges will become unavailable before the printer dies.

• Like 1

My old HP Laserjet 1220 still chugs along after 11 years. Toner cartridges a little expensive but last for several years. I'm afraid the toner cartridges will become unavailable before the printer dies.

I'll see your 11 yr old Laserjet 1220 and raise you a 15+ yr old Laserjet 6P/MP!!! That old workhorse doesn't get used much any more. While it used to be my main machine, I supplemented it with Inkjets when they became available; now relegated to backup duties, as inkjets were replaced by color laserjets. It seems to have a lot of life left in it, AND I still have a spare toner cartridge...just in case. I suspect the next "fuser replacement" will render it obsolete, but that is likely many years in the future for a light-duty backup toner printer!

I've never been a huge fan of HP computers (don't have a problem with them, but not impressed either), but their printers are the GOLD STANDARD and as long as they continue to provide linux-compatible products, I'll continue to give them my money. Just off the top of my head, I can't think of ANY hardware vendors who are as linux-friendly as HP...and that matters to me! I vote with my wallet...

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I got you all beat. I have a working HP Laserjet IV out in my shop right now, but I don't have any toner cartridges for it. :(

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

I got you all beat. I have a working HP Laserjet IV out in my shop right now, but I don't have any toner cartridges for it. :(

they are still sold, you could get one for under $50
  • Like 1

if you don't have a toner cartridge, it's not working. therefore, I win! B)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Kiss of death was probably bad wording. Company seems to have been struggling for some years now, with many layoffs and "new approaches" to their business model. In addition to linux support, I think their printers are great (or maybe used to be, can't tell yet), but they seem to be having difficulty knowing just where they want to go business-wise. Who knows--maybe this most recent split into two separate companies will produce a good result.

Maybe so but even Microsoft seems to be struggling since they are also closing things and laying off people.

But I know what you mean.

securitybreach

Also, HP is acquiring Samsung's printer division: http://fortune.com/2016/09/12/hp-inc-to-buy-samsungs-printing-business-for-over-a-billion-dollars/

Which in turn, will be closing Dell's printer division (already happened in the UK). This is because Dell buys printers from Lexmark and Samsung, then rebrands them for sale as Dells. HP has announced that they will not sell printers to other manufactures so they can make the consumer sells themselves..

WellThere is a Lazerjet 4050 hooked up to this desktop .The sticker states that it was manufactured May 17 ...1999.... It's got a new 27A toner cartridge in it and it works a dream .

It must be getting on to it's l;egacy years.

Have been using this one for b/w print for the last ten years at least .

Do I get any brownie points for these apples lol

• Like 3

WellThere is a Lazerjet 4050 hooked up to this desktop .The sticker states that it was manufactured May 17 ...1999.... It's got a new 27A toner cartridge in it and it works a dream .

It must be getting on to it's l;egacy years.

Have been using this one for b/w print for the last ten years at least .

Do I get any brownie points for these apples lol

Pretty impressive! My Laserjet 6MP mentioned above has a manufacture date of "September 1996", so I think I still win. However, mine is a backup that rarely gets used; if yours is an "every day driver", that's probably gotta count for something, and I'd give you the nod for "the win" based on that!

Side note, these printers are still going strong after (nearly) 20 years of service! And mine actually started off as the main workhorse in an appraisal office, with about 6 of us printing numerous jobs/runs to that 6MP on a daily basis for about 4-5 years until we figured out that it was the bottleneck, with so many using it. When we bought a newer, faster, higher capacity rating machine (ppm...pages per month), I brought it home for personal use, until about 6-7 years ago. But for printers to be running that long, that's impressive IMO!

My best inkjets only ran about 5-6 years before needing replaced. Inkjets are a catch-22. If you use 'em as "backups", the ink dries up, clogs the jets, and makes 'em unusable. If you use 'em heavy, internal components, carriage belts, etc... wear out. They're designed to be disposable, IMO, whereas the only moving parts in a laserjet are the paper path.

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 2

1996 that's cool. Just for fun I'll just go in the shack and check the plate on it ...ummmmm!!!!

I'm back covered in cobwebs but found it is a HP4000T . lazer. Jan21 1999 . I think that's a fair runner up situation .

Haven't used it in a while . Just waiting for me to fill the toner into the cartridge by divers means . :hysterical: