Lychee - not the fruit

abarbarian

Self-hosted photo-management done right

Lychee is a free photo-management tool, which runs on your server or web-space. Installing is a matter of seconds. Upload, manage and share photos like from a native application. Lychee comes with everything you need and all your photos are stored securely.

https://lychee.electerious.com/

I would have posted some screenshots of the program in action, however they have a very neat web demo to play around with so why not give it a go.

More info is available at the git.hub site. This includes some extra plugins and extensions and some useful information. Such as how to add a facility to take photos on your phone>send them to Dropbox >and then into your Lychee set up.

https://github.com/electerious/Lychee

To run Lychee, everything you need is a web-server with PHP 5.5 or later and a MySQL-Database. Follow the instructions to install Lychee on your server. Installation »

Most of the information on the net mentions " MySQL" like this excellent guide to setting Lychee up on Raspberry Pi.

Discovered thanks to the french forum dedicated to the Raspberry, Lychee is a lightweight and fast Photo Manager, easily insatiable on our favorite Raspberry (You can try it on this page). Need a database and a web server

http://www.pihomeserver.fr/en/2014/01/23/raspberry-pi-home-server-heberger-toutes-vos-photos/

For those of you that do not want to use MySQL you can use MariaDB as this guide on how to install Lychee on a Ubuntu VPS shows,

In this tutorial, we will explain how to install Lychee on an Ubuntu 14.04 VPS with MariaDB, PHP-FPM and Nginx. Lychee is an easy-to-use self hosted photo management system. This guide should work on other Linux VPS systems as well but was tested and written for an Ubuntu 14.04 VPS.

https://www.rosehosting.com/blog/install-lychee-on-an-ubuntu-vps/

If you want to be at the cutting edge of tech then you will want to install Lychee in a Docker container,

Docker has become more popular among developers as a platform to automate deployment of applications inside software containers within cloud servers. It is very easy for developers to deploy their applications on a Docker container, save the container image, and then, manually or automatically, deploy the application image in other Docker-enabled cloud servers without having to worry about the underlying operating system or environment settings.

It is possible to install Docker on a virtual machine running virtualization technology. In this guide, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to install Docker 1.10.2 on a Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS (64-bit) virtual machine.

http://www.servermom.org/install-docker-ubuntu-server/

The feminists out there will have noticed that the above guide was written by a female. Girl power at the cutting edge of life. :blissysmile:

There is a Docker image that is recommended by the creators of Lychee available here,

https://hub.docker.com/r/kdelfour/lychee-docker/

Here are a few comments by users of Lychee,

https://www.g2crowd.com/products/lychee/reviews

Lychee sounds like it may be a neat fit for me. So I will attempt to get an instance running in a Docker container on one of my Pi's. if I do so I will report back. Do not hold your breath. :breakfast:

Oh and do not confuse Lychee with lychee,js. :whistling:

https://lychee.js.org/

• Like 1

Well I used the HypriotOS v1.0.0 Blackbeard and used their hypriot/flash script

https://github.com/h...er-rpi/releases

https://github.com/h...aster/README.md

to see if I could get my Pi back in action.

I followed their instructions

Run flash http://downloads.hyp...-132854.img.zip

Insert SD card to your notebook

Press RETURN

Eject SD card and insert it to your Raspberry Pi - done!

but I had no sdb choice, that is my sd cards mount. Of course it would not show as it was not in the pc, I should have spotted that shouldn't I. So their instructions are not 100% correct.

I inserted a sd card but still no sdb showing. At the prompt I typed sdb and and away the program sailed giving me a sd card with hypriot on it.

Popped the sd into the Pi and lights flashed in wht looked like a normal pattern. Tried to

$ ssh pirate@black-pearl.local

Nothing. Tried to ping still nothing. Did a reinstall, pinged,ssh'ed still nothing. Not quite true as I got this

ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted

Seems there is a problem with Jessie Light and you have to reinsall on the Pi

sudo apt-get install --reinstall iputils-ping

Is this a similar problem with hypriot, does not matter as I can not access the Pi with a screen without a load of pfhaffing around.

Re-visited the hyriot site and found that a new version v1.0.1 was available, so am now downloading and installing via their flash script.

Hope this one works. :whistling:

Edited by abarbarian

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I tried to connect to the black pearl with Vector linux which I have running on this Dell along with MX-15. I got the same response "connection timed out".

So I looked at the router to see what is going on. The router tells me that black-pearl is connected and it gives me an ip address for it, looks like the hypriot side of things is working.

On Vector ping seems to work ok so I have no idea what is wrong.

:'(

vector://home/abarbarian
root:# ssh pirate@black-pearl
ssh: connect to host black-pearl port 22: Connection timed out
vector://home/abarbarian
root:# ssh 192.168.1.3
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.3 port 22: No route to host

vector:/~
abarbarian:$ ssh pirate@black-pearl
ssh: connect to host black-pearl port 22: Connection timed out
abarbarian:$ ssh 192.168.1.3

abarbarian:$ ping google.com
PING google.com (216.58.198.174) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from lhr25s10-in-f174.1e100.net (216.58.198.174): icmp_req=1 ttl=55 time=31.3 ms
64 bytes from lhr25s10-in-f14.1e100.net (216.58.198.174): icmp_req=2 ttl=55 time=31.7 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 31.369/31.545/31.722/0.250 ms

Any ideas folks ????????????????

Edited by abarbarian

Back in MX-15 and I still get the same results, checked the router and black-pearl is connected.

8nzAYT5.png

@reserve:~
$ sudo service ssh status
[sudo] password for bloodaxe:
[ ok ] sshd is running.
ssh: connect to host black-pearl.local port 22: Connection timed out
$ ssh 192.168.1.3
ssh: connect to host black-pearl.local port 22: Connection refused
$ ping black-pearl
PING black-pearl.dlink.com (92.242.132.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
--- black-pearl.dlink.com ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 8063ms

I am confused ?????????? :'(

I took the trouble to connect the Pi to me tv as I realised that even though hyriot has no X11 you still get text output on the screen. Shows how muddled me thinking is at present if I forgot that fact.

Anyways hypriot is running on the Pi.Ssh says it is running and ok. The router shows hypriot. Yet I still get the same results I get on Vector and MX-15 in that i can not connect the pc's through ssh.

At this point unless some one can help me out with some bandaid info I will have to put a hold on this project as I am in the middle of actually offering bids for property and me head is full of building repair costs etc etc. I started this project as it looked like hyriot would be an easy otb install and I could spend a bit of time relaxing by playing with something useful to me.Struck out there didn't I.

Is there something wrong with the hypriot so or is it something on my os ? Beats me.

:'(

By gum I hate being stubborn :whistling:

Found some info from an outdated guide but it seemed relevant so I gave it a go.

Working from MX-15 I tried

$ hostname -I

Which tells me the ip of MX-15. Then tried the next step in the guide

$ nmap -sP 192.168.1.2/24 | grep black-pearl

Which gave no output at all. So tried with sudo

$ sudo nmap -sP 192.168.1.2/24 | grep black-pearl

Same result ie: nothing.

So does that info help anyone help me find a solution ? Please pretty please. :fish:

Well I'll go to bottom of stairs.I just tried

$ ssh pirate@192.168.1.4
pirate@192.168.1.4's password:

HypriotOS (Debian GNU/Linux 8)

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon Sep  5 16:27:34 2016
HypriotOS/armv7: pirate@black-pearl in ~
$ 

An voilà I have lift of :clap: I have tried that command before with no joy so have no idea why it works now. No matter I have a working Pi with hopefully a working instance of Docker.I have a feeling that all my problems were created by my muddled state of mind. Nothing to worry about there then :Laughing:

I think I deserve a round of applause.

xT8qBepJQzUjXpeWU8.gif

In between I have made a successful bid on a property. Hope that goes better than my computing. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

Docker is up and running on the Pi via ssh.

HypriotOS/armv7: pirate@black-pearl in ~
$ docker pull pypi/lychee
Using default tag: latest
latest: Pulling from pypi/lychee
674ded4e0a75: Pull complete
a3ed95caeb02: Pull complete
3fe37ed373c9: Pull complete
ddf1745d8563: Extracting 35.78 MB/42.32 MB
b9ef83e0e547: Downloading 22.7 MB/128.5 MB
411d39b1247d: Download complete
5b767d10beb4: Download complete
25f5fdcb3950: Downloading 16.32 MB/22.88 MB
a0ced0754594: Download complete

I found a pi compatible version of Lychee

https://hub.docker.com/r/pypi/lychee/

at least I hope it is. It is ten months old so will it work ? Should I have started my Docker adventure with something tried and tested ? Nah jump in at the deep end and swim is my moto :breakfast:

Hmmm I could not get the pypi/lychee to work with docker on the pi. Looks like it made for a different architecture. Also it may not even be the photo management program I thought it was as on the programs web site it states

"I'm Lychee. A static blog generator."

Hmmm hyriot does not have python3-pip installed as it is based on Jessie Lite so I am downloading/installing it to the pi to see if that will help.If all else fails I'll have to make my own docker image for Lychee.

Now won't that be fun. :drooling:

Edited by abarbarian

Turns out that Lychee docker container I found was not for arm architecture. So I will have to come back to this later as I am playing at building containers at the moment. The aim is to run a Ghost hosted blog from the Pi.

Have found a Ghost/arm container and it runs ok. Almost got the hang of building a container but not 100%. I'd like my own Ghost customised container to use as a base whilst I learn how to use Ghost.

Having to finally get to grips with networking and such, managed to give the Pi a static ip via the router. Chose the router route as there are several different ways of doing it by configs and the three ways I attempted all gave instructions for files my os does not have.

Fiddled that much I borked the Hypriot os good an proper.

Bought a domain name and am going to use these folks for a DNS service but I need to ask some questions around that so I'll start a separate thread for that.

:breakfast:

• Like 1