CMOS clock is broken, how to tell XP ignore?

jeffw_00

Hi - I have an ASUS MOBO running WIN XP Home SP3. THe CMOS clock is just broken. I've replaced the battery, but when I power up, the time is always correct, except for the YEAR, which has varied from 1968 to 2024 (no back the the future jokes please :-) ). I'm running a little TSR at startup to fix the time (Automacron) but it doesn't work right if the year is too far out of whack. What I really want to have happen is, on boot, for the O/S to just use the last system time, and ignore the CMOS time altogether. Then the TSR will update it and all will be well.I -know- there's a way to do this, but i can't find it wading through all the "replace your battery" and linux-related posts on the subject.THANKS!!/j

Well, I tested both batteries with a multi-tester, and both tested good. And, again, the clock was CORRECT to the second except for the year.

Just a shot in the dark, but who knows... I found two possible sources, see below:way to solve the problem of system clock drift on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboardhttp://www.somacon.com/p394.phpNotice the part: 'setting the FSB Spread Spectrum to Disabled.'The Good, the Bad, and the Uglyhttp://www.nim.com.au/year2000/ye02001.htmOld indeed, but maybe...What board are you using?

Liz, I checked it and it just works fine in Seamonkey 2.4.1I also checked it in Chromium and in there it just works too.Maybe some browser setting or a DNS issue?

It's a P5GC-MX/1333 - The posts so far are interesting, and do a good job filling the thread 8-}, but what I was really hoping someone could tell me is how to go into the registry and tell it to rgnore the BIOS clock, I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it. (or tell me how to find out how myself) Thanks!

Same computer...removed AntiVir, updated SpywareBlaster and flash and today the nim site loaded with no problem.You've heard me say it before and this won't be the last time I say it, "I will never understand computers". :)

Wouldn't a simpler solution be go to the Date and Time Properties settings, click on the Internet Time tab and set it to synchronize with an external network time protocol (NTP) server such as time.windows.com?

Hi Peachy - I don't think you understand the problem: The problem is that the machine boots, copies a CMOS time as windows time with a year of 1968, 2024, etc, and then - the really bad time screws up some applications, long before windows time server could fix it- the time is so far off that at least some time server programs can't fix it. I haven't experimented with windows time server because it can't respond fast enough after boot. What I may end up doing is experimenting with local time server systems, in the hope they can correct extreme changes, I'll run the server on an other local PC. Still, if I could just get windows to ignore the CMOS time, this would all go away 8-{Thanks/j

Hello,Out of curiosity, what was the voltage on the CR-2032 battery? I have seen some systems have similar problems even at +2.95V DC.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

@jeff:I just have run into a situation that the battery checked good(3.092 volts) but the system would loose the CMOS settings when unplugged from the AC..I found that the battery clip was defective and not passing the voltage to the motherboard..I cannot understand in your case why the time was correct though???..Unless you had some NTP software to bring the time back..In my case, dates and all the BIOS settings would reset to default. I have just ordered a new battery clip that I will solder wires to it and attach it to the MB on the reverse side..To find it, I read the voltage on the opposite side of the motherboard battery clip solder connections,and discovered it was zero there while 3 volts on the battery side..This may not be your case but it is something to think about.Goodluck,jolphil

The voltage on the old battery may have been 2.95 ish, but the new one was over 3V. Please understand1) sometimes when it boots the time is fine2) even if the time isn't fine, everything but the year is finealso - new symptom3) occasionally, it resets the order of the boot disks (I require a non-default order)I think the problem is an issue with Windows -reading- the BIOS chip properly. I was able to solve my original issue by finding a time-set program that works even if the date is way out of whack (eztime), and running it at boot. The boot disk issue is harder to solve. My boot disk is SATA and my extra disk is ATA, and the default order goes to ATA first. I'm debating whether to buy a SATA disk or junk the motherboard..../j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,Have you tried reflashing the BIOS? Even just with the same version if if no later version is available? If so, did that make any difference?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky