Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Florida is in her sights. I'm a bit nervous. :(

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

Meh, it's too far out to give it a thought.... B)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

I know Cyclone Harvey was tragic but did you know India, Nepal and Bangaldesh have the worst flooding in years? Over 1200 dead so far. Barely made the news.
http://www.independe...s-a7919006.html
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

View Postsunrat, on 04 September 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

I know Cyclone Harvey was tragic but did you know India, Nepal and Bangaldesh have the worst flooding in years? Over 1200 dead so far. Barely made the news.
http://www.independe...s-a7919006.html

That is insane and horrible!!! Wow

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:15 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 04 September 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

Florida is in her sights. I'm a bit nervous. :(
Understandably. Take care Eric. I'm watching closely because they're still saying Delmarva Peninsula is not out of the question as a landfall and that's only a couple of hundred miles from me. I still remember Sandy that wasn't going to hit us until suddenly it "wobbled" west and bam.
Registered Linux User 344759

#6 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

Irma is officially a MONSTER now (CAT 5 - 175mpg sustained winds, 225mph gusts). The Caribbean islands are in deep do-do.

@Elizabeth... Delmarva is a long way off at this point. That monster would have to make a serious right-hand turn and wouldn't be anywhere near its current strength by the time it got up there.

I wouldn't suggest a golfing get-away in Mar-a-Lago this weekend, though. FORE! Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

What with all the fires and hurricanes typhoons etc you guys are having a rough time. Keep safe everyone and good luck. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 05 September 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

@Elizabeth... Delmarva is a long way off at this point. That monster would have to make a serious right-hand turn and wouldn't be anywhere near its current strength by the time it got up there.
Yeah, I do realize that. They are also saying now that it could possibly head right up the east coast after landfall somewhere in FL--that would really spread the damage far and wide, although with lesser impacts as it moved north. And now we have TS Jose warming up in the far west Atlantic. Sheesh! Take care Eric!
EDIT:  Um, TS Jose is warming up in the east Atlantic--don't know what I was thinking when I posted this. :hmm:

Edited by ebrke, 05 September 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

The east coast (of Florida) would be a LOT better for me than the Gulf coast. :)

#10 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

The National Hurricane Center's website is taking forever to load. Oops--just got a connection timeout. Everyone and their dog must be trying to access it.

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Postebrke, on 05 September 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

The National Hurricane Center's website is taking forever to load. Oops--just got a connection timeout. Everyone and their dog must be trying to access it.

Loads fine here.

#12 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Loaded okay for me when I went back a few minutes later.

#13 ONLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

It looks bad. Do you have any friends/relatives that live outside FL?
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postzlim, on 06 September 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

Who me? Yes, to both. However, I won't be going anywhere. I'll be hunkering down with my two kitties and hoping my sturdy ol' house will protect us. I bought the necessities today... cat food and cigarettes. I didn't have enough $ for the Jack Daniels, though. :(

Currently, the strongest prediction probability has Irma making landfall in the Miami area of the Atlantic coast and then sweeping up the coast all the way to the Carolinas. This will be DEVASTATING for them, but MUCH better for me (on the Gulf coast). :)

#15 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 06 September 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Who me? Yes, to both. However, I won't be going anywhere. I'll be hunkering down with my two kitties and hoping my sturdy ol' house will protect us. I bought the necessities today... cat food and cigarettes. I didn't have enough $ for the Jack Daniels, though. :(

Currently, the strongest prediction probability has Irma making landfall in the Miami area of the Atlantic coast and then sweeping up the coast all the way to the Carolinas. This will be DEVASTATING for them, but MUCH better for me (on the Gulf coast). :)

Good to hear. I will drink a couple of shots of Jack for you after work B)

#16 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Also should be down to cat 3 by the time it's close to you on Monday. Not great, but much better than the cat 4 they're estimating when it passes the Keys, or for that matter, the cat 5 that Puerto Rico got.

#17 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I read that some forecasters are saying Irma may be like Donna in 1960 and just go all the way up the East Coast. Do hope they're wrong, but at least it won't be as strong by the time it gets up here.

#18 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

View Postebrke, on 06 September 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

I read that some forecasters are saying Irma may be like Donna in 1960 and just go all the way up the East Coast. Do hope they're wrong, but at least it won't be as strong by the time it gets up here.

The wind is insane though. Earlier today I seen where it got to 185 mph which is the fastest recorded hurricane.

#19 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

Yeah... Irma is a MONSTER. There's no doubt about that. That thing will wreak havoc anywhere it gets near to. :(

#20 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

For Irma... music to soothe the savage beast.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Like a Hurricane (1977)

https://youtu.be/6-WMbP1RcC4

#21 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:24 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 06 September 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

Yeah... Irma is a MONSTER. There's no doubt about that. That thing will wreak havoc anywhere it gets near to. :(
Well it won't be great, but it continues to look a little better for Tampa--at least this thing isn't coming up the west coast. Is there anywhere safe you can leave your vehicle (truck, isn't it?)? I seem to remember from pictures that your house is cinderblock, and while I'm not an authority, it seems to me that would be better than just wood frame.

Edited by ebrke, 06 September 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

If Irma stays on its currently predicted track, I will probably only get some rain and winds around 25-30mph. That will be no worse than our every-afternoon summer thunderstorms that blow through here around 4PM all summer long.

My home was build by my father. It is a VERY well-build structure. Homes being built nowadays will blow over in a stiff breeze. This ol' place should be fine. It's stood through some nasty blows in the past 65 years. The worst I've had happen is loss of a few shingles and a lot of tree branches down in the yard.

My truck will be fine out in the driveway (not under any trees there). :)

Looks like the worst time will be about midnight - 2AM on Sunday morning. These storms always seem to hit at night no matter where you are. Wonder how they do that? ;)

All will be well if Irma just stays to the East of us here in Tampa. The left side of the storm is much weaker than the right side. If it came up the Gulf coast, as I mentioned before, it would be a tad bit ugly for this area. :(

Fingers crossed. Since Irma is also the name of one of my aunts, we're hoping it will be kind to us here in Tampa (hopefully all of Florida). :)

#23 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:46 PM

In my times cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale, I've spent a fair bit of time there, and met some really nice people. I hope they'll be OK.
My niece worked out of there all last winter on Caribbean Princess. Right now I bet she's happy her next assignment took her to Alaska and later on Hawaii.

Edited by raymac46, 07 September 2017 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#24 OFFLINE   frapper

frapper

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Security camera footage caught Eric at the liquor store picking up a few last minute essentials before Hurricane Irma hits.

Posted Image

(Just kidding, Eric)  :P

Edited by frapper, 08 September 2017 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image
Norm
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x3
USAF - '67-'71
Posted Image

#25 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

@Frapper... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! ;)