16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Posted Image

This little guy was bestowed upon me by a friend the other day. It's in excellent condition; is actually running currently with Win Vista. Of course, it will get Slackified pretty soon. ;)

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

Very cool!
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

It was in storage for years. Even the battery took a charge. I was quite surprised.

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Even better :thumbsup:

Is it upgradeable, like the ram and such? Is everything easily accessible or do you have to remove everything just to upgrade ram and such.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 ONLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Just saw a YouTube video. All you do is remove the battery then take out 2 screws to get the RAM cover off. One slot only so the stick that's in would be replaced with something larger.

Does it have 1GB or 2GB of RAM?

Looks like it takes DDR3-8500
https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B009256HGU

I get conflicting reports. Someone says the max is 3GB, someone else says 4GB and I've also seen 5GB.

I guess the best is to let Crucial scan the device. Crucial usually gets it correct.

Edited by zlim, 24 August 2017 - 11:05 AM.

Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Well the 3gb max is probably referring to a 32bit installation but I could be wrong. Also, Crucial says the max is 5gb although that doesn't seem right to be as I have never seen a machine where the max ram is an odd number (unless it was 1gb). http://www.crucial.c...atitude-xt2-xfr

#7 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 23 August 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Even better :thumbsup:

Is it upgradeable, like the ram and such? Is everything easily accessible or do you have to remove everything just to upgrade ram and such.

Yup. I already downloaded the service manual from Dell (I love Dell's customer support - none better!). I have bigger hdds and lotsa' RAM for this little guy, too. :)

It'll probably be a bit problematic to get the touchscreen portion to work in Linux, but that's OK. I really have no need for that. Also, that little Core2 Duo processor is a workhorse. That's the same processor that is in the Inspiron that you gave me, Josh. I'll have a spare, if needed, since the ol' Inspiron developed display issues a couple years back.

I'm in no hurry to fix this one up. I don't really have a pressing need for it. I'm going to wait a couple months till the weather gets a little more pleasant down here, instead of the current rain forest steam and heat that is now occurring. Once it gets a bit nicer outside, I'll be able to work in my shop without sweat dripping in my eyes and onto the motherboard. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

View Postzlim, on 24 August 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Just saw a YouTube video. All you do is remove the battery then take out 2 screws to get the RAM cover off. One slot only so the stick that's in would be replaced with something larger.

Does it have 1GB or 2GB of RAM?

Looks like it takes DDR3-8500
https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B009256HGU

I get conflicting reports. Someone says the max is 3GB, someone else says 4GB and I've also seen 5GB.

I guess the best is to let Crucial scan the device. Crucial usually gets it correct.

You may be looking at the incorrect video. It's DDR3 RAM (1G+2G = 3G) in two slots. It also has a relatively small hdd (80G - SATA), but I have some compatible "biggies" (250G and 500G) that I can fit in there. It has no DVD bay, so I'll have to install Slackware via a USB DVD player. No problem. I've done it that way before. Works fine.

Dell Support original configuration --> http://www.dell.com/...1/configuration

#9 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Oh, I believe that 4G RAM is the max that a Core2 Duo can handle.

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Actually the touchscreen should work on linux. Here is a video of it working on Ubuntu:

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 24 August 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

Oh, I believe that 4G RAM is the max that a Core2 Duo can handle.

Actually, the Core 2 Duo supports up to 16Gb of RAM depending on what the mb can handle.

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Supports single-channel DDR2, providing up to 16 GB max memory support
https://www.intel.co...rief/316663.pdf

#12 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, but that's Ubuntu, not Slackware. ;)

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 24 August 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yeah, but that's Ubuntu, not Slackware. ;)

Well more than likely Xorg is handling it anyway so if your Xorg is half way up to date, it should work fine. You may have to modprobe a module or something though.

#14 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Meh... like I said, I really don't have any need for that feature. We'll see...

#15 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

If the budget permits this is one unit that would really benefit from a cheap SSD. Even the lowest priced ones would make a huge difference.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#16 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

View Postraymac46, on 25 August 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

If the budget permits this is one unit that would really benefit from a cheap SSD. Even the lowest priced ones would make a huge difference.

Great suggestion!! That would make a world of difference. :thumbsup:

#17 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

A $50 SSD changed an old Toshiba netbook from a slug nobody wanted to a very useful machine to travel with. And this XT2 has much better hardware.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users