• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

I reckon this is in the running for the best distro ever award. I installed and used the RC-1 recently it it looks slick, runs efficiently and just behaves politely (mostly. I have one petty inconsequential gripe with Thunar, not MX's fault).
The added MX tools are excellent and the installer is a breeze.
Get MX-17, you'll be glad you did!

https://forum.mxlinu...p?f=131&t=43474
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#2 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

I had MX-16.1 installed on my daughters old junk laptop and I have upgraded to MX-17. It was fast and easy - the installer is very slick. Everything worked out of the box.
I installed Chromium  and I am posting from it now. Recommended distro for sure.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#3 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:29 AM

View Postsunrat, on 17 December 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I reckon this is in the running for the best distro ever award.

Looks great. I checked out the live session from a flash drive today (Sunday). Very nice.

Remember, "best" is always subjective; for me, MX is (and has always been) great to have in my toolbox, on a flash drive -- it's still my preferred distro for live sessions -- but they also ship tons of apps and tools that I don't want or need. Different users have different things they want out of a distro; for installations, I prefer a Debian netinstall (with Xfce) over MX, but that's just me. I do like MX for when I need a quick and easy installation, like when a used computer comes my way.

I've had MX-14 and MX-15 hard drive installations here in the past; no plans to install MX-17, but nothing's set in stone. Excellent distro, excellent release.

The default image viewer in MX-17 is Nomacs... First time I've seen or heard of that one. I like it. Found it in the Stable repos and installed it here in Stretch today.

Also, I thought it was pretty cool that MX-17 shipped with Firefox 57.0.2. First time I've taken a look at the "new" FF. I'm still using Pale Moon here, though.

#4 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

MX-17 is a good one to suggest for laptops and new users. It works well with just about any wifi card - including Broadcom. You don't have to install with a wire and tweak stuff to get wifi working. You can configure printers easily. It has nice artwork and the vertical menu is well suited to a laptop screen's real estate.
Even though it has lots of tools it isn't a resource hog. It's a Debian stable derivative so pretty solid.
I usually install Chromium, Abiword and Gnumeric and I'm good to go.
The only disadvantage I see is that for an upgrade to the next release you still have to reinstall from scratch.
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

Good points, raymac46.

Nitpicking:

- Ships with only Xfce. Does the installer have any options for choosing a different DE, or a WM? I know one can be added post-install, and I think there is (or will be) an "unofficial" KDE version. With Debian, I can choose which DE to go with right from tasksel, but there's no option for something like Openbox. The Antergos installer let me choose to go with Openbox -- very nice.

- I wish it didn't take so long for the Stable-based release to come out. Stretch was released six months ago. Long before MX-17 was released, I'd hammered Stretch (with Xfce) into shape and got everything set up the way I like it.

That's some serious nitpicking, though, and both of those things take a lot of work. Also, I'm a BunsenLabs fanboy, kinda; BL ships with only Openbox, and the Stretch-based BL release still hasn't been finalized. These things are understandable, especially considering the size of the dev teams and so forth.

I hesitate to bring up those points because the pros definitely outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

You're right that MX isn't a resource hog even though it ships with so many apps and tools. Reminds me, there was a respin called MX-15 Core or something like that (MX-15_386_CORE_Nov_2016_v2.iso). I wonder what that was all about, and how that one turned out. I kinda wish more distros offered a way to install only the base system and then build from there. I guess that's why I lean more towards something like Arch, or a Debian netinstall -- they take much more work up front, but you end up with only what you really want, for the most part. But as I touched on before, there are times when the user wants to be able to get up and running quickly, with a complete, finished system. Just depends on the situation.

#6 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

View Postsaturnian, on 18 December 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

I guess that's why I lean more towards something like Arch, or a Debian netinstall -- they take much more work up front, but you end up with only what you really want, for the most part.

I'm expecting somebody to mention Slackware. :)

#7 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

Well of course an experienced Linux user can do whatever they want.
MX-17 is designed to make it easy for a new user. It has a decent desktop environment that'll work on most machines. It's well behaved, stable and can do most configuration with its GUI (assuming you want to do more than the defaults.) I use it on my daughter's old laptop as a workroom distro that my wife is also comfortable with.
I also run Linux Mint, Arch and Debian Sid on other machines so I don't feel confined in any way with MX-17. I agree that Arch and Debian lend themselves more to customization.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

OK nothing is perfect. :w00tx100:
I did have to do some minor geeking it up with MX-17.
After I finished the install and rebooted I kept getting this notification window complaining the /home/demo/Downloads directory did not exist. I think it has something to do with a persistence option on the Live USB.
I fixed it by going into the Terminal and using sudo mkdir to create a /home/demo and then a home/demo/Downloads directory. After that the notification went away when I rebooted. :clap:
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

raymac46, see posts #256, #257, and #258 here: https://forum.mxlinu...=demo&start=250

Same issue? But I don't know if that issue was ever really fixed. I think it goes back to well before MX-17, too.

As I recall, if you set up your flash drive for persistence, you still have the option to log into a session that doesn't have persistence, right? I'm guessing that the installation should be done from there to avoid the /home/demo problem. Although simply creating /home/demo/Downloads is an easy enough workaround. Will that directory actually be used for anything, though?

#10 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

@saturnian I believe I tried to save the live info with the wifi password prior to installation (not that it did anything about it.) This probably introduced a user named demo into the setup. I doubt the /home/demo/Downloads directory will get used for much but with a 500GB hard drive I am not worried about capacity.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users