• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

I have a post in the Windows forum about my wife's friend Shari who borked her Win 10 installation on her Dell laptop - and how I rescued her.
Shari had an old Gateway MX2067 laptop besides her Dell so I thought it might be a good idea to see if I could fix it up as a backup for email at least.
It turned out to be a real crashbox: Celeron M 1.4 GHz, 60 GB HDD, 512 MB DDR 2700 RAM. The absolute Max RAM would be 1 GB but I didn't have any junk SODIMMS and I didn't think it was worth it to spend $30 or so on a 1GB kit. The machine ran Windows XP back in the day. Of course it's a 32 bit model.
I decided that Lubuntu would be a good choice to at least try with this memory challenged junker. The machine wouldn't boot from a USB but it did have a DVD-ROM. I burned an ISO and booted it. No wifi but hey..it's Broadcom. I plugged in an Ethernet cable and started the install.
It took FOREVER but finally I got it configured and running off the hard disk. Lubuntu's driver manager had no Broadcom drivers but after more research I installed firmware-b43-installer and this did the trick. The wifi is working.
I'll set up Chromium so Shari can go in and get her email. No YouTube though - not with this old beast.
I am quite pleased with how well it runs. At least as well as it did with XP. And it's a lot more secure.

Edited by raymac46, 14 December 2017 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,257 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

Cool :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

Nice! I must admit I get a bit of kick out of hearing about hardware like that being saved from the scrap heap. In my early Linux days I was messing around with an old desktop with 256MB of ram and an AMD K series... I actually remember typing up an assignment for university on it using Nano and LaTeX. (The module was "Introduction to Computing" ;) ). The machine is still here in the attic with an old Slackware or possibly Knoppix install on it.
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#4 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Well I'm sure this 2005 era laptop would do fine with a text based Linux but its owner is strictly a GUI user. It's a bit old for my tastes now as I have about a 10 year window.
My oldest machine now is from January 2008 - an AMD Athlon 64 X2 with 6 GB RAM and an Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost GPU. It's actually quite an impressive old desktop that runs Linux Mint Cinnamon very well. I had Linux running on machines that would be 20 years old now but they couldn't do much with modern browser technology.
My oldest Linux laptop today is a broken down 2012 AMD Trinity A6 model that my daughter drop kicked off the bed a couple of times. Runs OK but you can't close the lid easily.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users