WE are at Distro Search for Stability not burnout!

kamicota

Bruno Julia, Striker LizandAll those other Et-Als that have helped me :hysterical: :thumbsup: :devil: WE are at Distro BURNOUT :D andReally need only One Distro for the Desktop and One for the Laptop – HOPEFULLY the same oneThe Desktop seems much more agreeable to Most Distros while the Laptop is STILL is much mre temperamental as to which one to install and STICK with PLUS--->>>Even in Mandriva it has CLICKED off TWICE and shut down which may NOT be the distroReasons behind this now is to consolidate where I am going ie:-Desktop for Publishing, Graphics, Downloading Burning etc.Laptop for Wireless, Graphics, Journals Surfing and the odd download As Julia said I may NOT have given PCLos the opportunity to correct the sound server problemAnd as Bruno has suggested words to the effect – Get one stable distro up and running and leave it at that.THIS is my aim nowSo I truly hope you can bear with me until this comes to fruition.Cheers for YearsColin

Edited by kamicota

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• striker

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

After Being NUDGED - Burnout :D NOW has got me TRYING on the Laptop--->>>Get this--->>>DSL 2.2b Thought Process--->>>Do I NEED all the BELLS & WHISTLES on the Laptopand as of NOW No I don't - Maybe a way to save the files with Password thoughColin a Little frazzled ;)

;) You never stick with one distribution long enough to really learn anything about it. :D Why should this time be any different! :lol: :hysterical: :w00t: Let us know which distribution you will be installing next week. :lol: :hysterical:

What about Kanotix, Colin ? Have you tried that one in the past ? (I just can't remember what you tried, it must at least have been 300 distros or something around that.) The word goes it has an excellent hardware detection.BTW : your plan sounds good to me, just one distro on there to do the 'net'-stuff and that sort of things, so it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, there's no need for that. ;)

I think there is only ONE distro really ( tailor-)made for you Colin . . . . and that is PCLos . . . . . ;) :D Bruno
Need I say a word? You even got wireless all by yourself. :hysterical:

All I can say is find the one that works the best and stick with it. Jumping distro to distro really doesn't gain much. The one that likes your hardware the most is the one to go with.

Thank you ALLDard--->>This is DECISION time PCLos OK for the Desktop - the Laptop = ??? because as much as I was NUDGED to DSL 2.2b I still have to wrestle with this. So WE find a Distro that works on the Laptop that is it OK!!![/b][u]Striker--->>>Yep yhe BELL[/u]S & WHISTLES are for the Desktop & the laptop is still up in the air AGAIN I do NOT know why I was nudged to give DSL 2.2b a try and yes I liked Kanotix wether the laptop does I don't knowBruno--->>>PCLos in itself IS TAILOR made for the DESKTOP as for the Laptops much lesser priorities I still wonder and AGAIN the NUDGE to try DSL 2.2b is still floating around[u]Julia--->>>[/u]PCLOs well it IS the DESKTOP now laptop/??? NEEDS to be sorted out this week because it is TRULY BURNOUT thta has hit me as I have been doing this for 2 Years now and it is time to settle down to ONE distro TAILOR MADE for the DESKTOP and ONE distro TAILORMADE fior the LaptopKelly--->>>Yes Kelly finally I have seen the light that it is the one distro that likes my hardwre and stick with it. Desktop is that way Laptop still to TUNE itself into it's own DistoThank you ALL :thumbsup: Colin :whistling:

Good luck with that! :D It's only taken you, what, three years. :thumbsup: I've had brain surgery and finished chemo since you started. :whistling: I think it would be hard to go wrong with DSL. Of course, I'm Debian biased.

Thanks GregYeah I AM a SLOW learner at times often go off ON WILD GOOSE chases :whistling: But we are in the final COUNTDOWN NOW :D Curious though--->>Does anyone know what the--->>> PCLos (apt) RPM's is it seems to have more that the Live isoColin :thumbsup:

Colin -->> Desktop = PCLosColin -->> Laptop = PCLos ( we will fix the sound . . . )Colin -->> Desktop = PCLosColin -->> Laptop = PCLos ( we will fix the sound if you are patient enough . . . )Colin -->> Desktop = PCLosColin -->> Laptop = PCLos ( we will fix the sound if you are patient enough to let us do it :whistling: ):thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno :D Lovely timing was just getting used to kanotix on the LaptopWas wondering IF I needed to download a NEW PCLos ???Thoughts are I still would want to upodate itAnother NIGGLE right now :thumbsup: is Three times in mandriva and a couple in PCLos it just CLICKED screen went black & it shut downBut I suppose that could happen in any distroColin :whistling:

Hi ColinI am suggesting PCLos because it would be wise top use only ONE distro on the Laptop and the Desktop . . . and learn that one inside out and know all the tweaks.There is no benefit in jumping from one distro to another is you do not take the time to learn from it.So I urge you to relax . . . chill out . . . and do one thing at a time:First get the Desktop fully installed and configured.Next get the Laptop to your friend to have a good look at the hardware, because I still think there are things wrong with it.:whistling: Bruno

Phew. Now Colin instead of running in circles installing other distros...do what I do, tell the forum the current PCLos problem and eventually someone will offer a fix that works. Keep a notecard with everything that was broken and how it was fixed then if you have to reinstall, you can do all the fixes right away and have an almost perfect distro.

Thanx Liz :thumbsup: Am trying to do that NOW with my first several attempts to boot from the HDDBut we are in it and looking for the last few commands from bruno on the ???-ht thingAnyways STABLISATION has taken place :whistling: ColinBrunoMy friend & I have not been able to get together yet but WILL soon HopefullyColinBrunoTrying to work throu your list of commands here is the firstPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# lsmodModule Size Used byradeon 72928 1drm 56660 2 radeonsnd_seq_dummy 2532 0snd_seq_oss 28576 0snd_seq_midi_event 5632 1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq 44752 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_seq_device 6668 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seqsnd_pcm_oss 45856 0snd_mixer_oss 15232 1 snd_pcm_osssnd_atiixp 15584 0snd_ac97_codec 75068 1 snd_atiixpsnd_pcm 74596 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codecsnd_timer 19524 2 snd_seq,snd_pcmsnd_page_alloc 8168 2 snd_atiixp,snd_pcmsnd 44068 9 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timersoundcore 6656 1 sndppdev 7108 0parport_pc 24132 1lp 9704 0parport 29672 3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp8139too 20960 0mii 4416 1 8139tooath_pci 67740 0ath_rate_sample 13480 1 ath_pciwlan 126044 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sampleath_hal 146288 3 ath_pci,ath_rate_sampleaf_packet 15880 2ide_cd 37028 0loop 12776 0ati_agp 6444 1agpgart 28296 2 drm,ati_agpnvram 6856 0evdev 7264 0bttv 144432 0video_buf 16420 1 bttvfirmware_class 7136 1 bttvi2c_algo_bit 8552 1 bttvv4l2_common 4608 1 bttvbtcx_risc 3816 1 bttvtveeprom 11544 1 bttvi2c_core 16848 3 bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveepromvideodev 6848 1 bttvdm_mod 48892 0sata_vsc 4932 0sata_via 5412 0sata_svw 4932 0sata_sil 5956 0sata_promise 7684 0sata_nv 6020 0sx8 14284 0sata_uli 4224 0sata_sx4 10628 0sata_sis 4864 0sata_qstor 6596 0pata_pdc2027x 6916 0ahci 8484 0BusLogic 76084 0aic7xxx 181064 0scsi_transport_spi 16640 1 aic7xxxsg 32380 0sr_mod 14692 0cdrom 36224 2 ide_cd,sr_modata_piix 6980 0libata 39908 13 sata_vsc,sata_via,sata_svw,sata_sil,sata_promise,sata_nv,sata_uli,sata_sx4,sata_sis,sata_qstor,pata_pdc2027x,ahci,ata_piixext3 118632 1jbd 46424 1 ext3usb_storage 76196 0sd_mod 15280 0scsi_mod 121384 11 sata_promise,sata_sx4,ahci,BusLogic,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi,sg,sr_mod,libata,usb_storage,sd_modusbhid 41600 0ohci_hcd 18020 0ehci_hcd 27048 0uhci_hcd 27760 0usbcore 102108 6 usb_storage,usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd[root@localhost kamicota]#

Hi Colin . . . . .On the laptop, did you remove the "acpi=ht" from the /etc/lilo.conf file ?? . . and did you run "/sbin/lilo" after the change ??:whistling: Bruno

BrunoThat line is still in there but I can NOT find the open Kedit command to remove it even thpough I am still looking--->>>[kamicota@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GB label="pclinuxos" root=/dev/hda1 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GB.imgappend="noapic nolapic acpi=ht nomce psmouse.proto=imps splash=silent"vga=788read-only[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :whistling:

Good . . . . . now get the updates . . . all of them :D( that will give me time to read the 34 emails I still have un-read/un-answered in my inbox B) )B) Bruno