In Memory of Our Friend and Mentor, Bruno Knaapen

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

It's been two years already since our friend transitioned from corporeal to universal. Regardless of your personal belief system, or non-belief, we miss those who have left this reality. Yet, they live on always within our own memories and through our celebrations of their lives here in our world. Today, we celebrate the life of long time Scot's Newsletter Forums Administrator, computer and Linux guru, and our special friend, Bruno.

Bruno had an impact on many of us here who were fortunate enough to have benefited in some way from his selfless and patient mentoring. Bruno spent many, many hours (just look at his post count of 37,900+... still a standing SNF record) here at Scot's helping anyone who had a question or needed assistance in some way. If Bruno didn't know something, he'd spend time researching so that he could come back and provide an answer.

I was able to correspond with Bruno every night of the last two months of his life via emails. We were bouncing them back and forth so rapidly, it almost seemed like Chat rather than email. He was trying his best to pass along as much info as he could about SNF and its members to me so that we could continue to carry on in this community following his example. I was honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to spend so much time with Bruno during those waning days of his life.

I was amazed at his collection of knowledge regarding members here. He had kept notes with members' real first names, their favorite OS's, their hardware, etc. He even had notes about what their particular weaknesses were, like needing to recover their GRUB boot loader every other week or so. ;) Bruno was very conscientious about all his "students". No. He wasn't rich or famous or on TV every other night. He wasn't a sports superstar, etc. However, in his own way, he had an effect on every one of us who had the good fortune to have known him.

Don't regret his absence. He's still here at Scot's everyday. Just look around. You won't have to look far before you run across...

bruno_avatar.gif

Please join us here at Scot's today in a celebration of Bruno's life. Speak your piece. Tell us your Bruno stories. All comments are welcome.

Have a wonderful day!

~Eric and all the Scot's Newsletter Forums Staff

Guest LilBambi

Thank you Eric! We all miss Bruno still very much, I know I do.

Bruno was one of the most dedicated, meticulous, helpful, logical, and caring individuals I have ever had the pleasure to work with. It has been hard to lose such a wonderful person in our lives.

Here's my thoughts on Bruno and I have also linked to many other's memorial postings as well:

http://bambismusings.wordpress.com/bruno-r...-a-dear-friend/

My Jim always says that people never truly die if we remember them well in our hearts. If that is the case, Bruno will never die!

We love you and miss you very much Bruno!

Bruno is definitely not dead. I see him in all the wonderful people who keep mentoring me and so many others. You can rest in peace Bruno; your legacy is in good hands.

I still go to his page http://www.brunolinux.com/ at least once a week if not more and learn everyday either from him or those who took his baton.

Doesn't seem like two years.........

The one thing I wish to keep from knowing Bruno is his readiness to help others. I bet that help extended far beyond just Linux and our small part of the world.

Think about it - Bruno took some of his limited time left to send us all a pm to just say goodbye. We can't top that gesture, we can only hope to equal it. I hope I am up for the test.

Bruno, I believe we will meet again one day my friend.

Cluttermagnet

What a guy. So caring and dedicated. He gave freely of himself, and made big impacts in the lives of others, including mine. Thank you, Bruno, my friend. :sorcerer:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

jmjlinux586

Hello,

I can't believe it has been 2 years already.

Bruno is a friend I have never met, but will

not forget. He was so much help to me.

Here is a screenshot of my desktop that

I have used since then.

screenshot