Firebird browser newbie question

manzer1984

manzer1984

Here's a real newbie question on using this Firebird browser I here about. Do you uninstall MSIE from your computer when you find a stable version of the Firebird and use it as your default browser. I'm a person that likes the least amount of clutter. If the Firebird browser works so well, is there a reason to keep both on your computer? I hope this is not a dumb question. I don't post much.

GolfProRM

Not a dumb question at all...You really can't uninstall IE as you'll need it for anything that runs ActiveX or even for using Windows Update. You can remove the IE Icon from your desktop if you don't want it there but don't delete the actual program... I just keep the Windows Update Icon in my start menu which will always load IE for WinUpdate.You can go ahead and set Firebird as your default browser... no harm done there :lol:

Prelude76

thanks for bill gates and crew, MSIE is permanently super glued throughout all latest windows. there was a program a while back for Windows 98 that could erradicate IE from windows 98 Lite. I tried it, and it worked perfectly on Win98SE. Last i heard, they are making a winXP version. and they have a free version to boot. but they are way way behind on the XP version, i guess because Microsoft really glued the new IE good deep into the system. :lol:

manzer1984 - there are no dumb questions when it comes to computers. I got my first rig in 1983 and I'm still learning. If it wasn't for 'forums' I wouldn't of had the nerve to try 4 different distro's of Linux - I finally settled on Suse which worked the best for me.golfprorm - thanks for the updates on Firebird & Thunderbird. I downloaded both on my test computer and thus far they work very well. I am glad to see that mozilla.org finally decided to separate their browser and email client. When I get more famaliar with Linux, I'm going to setup Firebird and Thunderbird on that system as well. prelude76 - this is a good reason to start trying alternate operating systems, browsers, email clients and office systems. Once MS comes out with Longhorn, I think we are ALL going to be in for a HUGE surprise when it comes to licensing Bill's products. :lol:

GolfProRM
manzer1984 - there are no dumb questions when it comes to computers. I got my first rig in 1983 and I'm still learning. If it wasn't for 'forums' I wouldn't of had the nerve to try 4 different distro's of Linux - I finally settled on Suse which worked the best for me.golfprorm - thanks for the updates on Firebird & Thunderbird. I downloaded both on my test computer and thus far they work very well. I am glad to see that mozilla.org finally decided to separate their browser and email client. When I get more famaliar with Linux, I'm going to setup Firebird and Thunderbird on that system as well.
Shoot, I'd never heard of Firebird until last month (when I joined this forum). I fell in love and have since devoted a bunch of time to testing it. I believe I asked the same question about IE when I got started on Firebird too... I'm having good luck with Thunderbird too... I absolutely love the interface and many of the features... I can only imagine how good this program will be if they continue down the right road! :DFirebird is a pretty easy install in Linux... same as in Windows! just extract and run! :lol:

manzer1984

Just another question on Firebird. Do you think it has advantages over a IE overlay browser called Crazybrowser? That is if anyonelse has ever used it. This overlay also uses a tabbed format and is only 539 KB. I'm not on Crazybrowser's payroll or anything, but just wanted to know if anyonelse ever used it, and if they had an opinion.

Prelude76

i dont know all what crazybrowser does beside Tabbed Browsing, but just to fill you in, Firebird/Mozilla is a lot more than tabbed browsing. In my opinion, I couldnt function without its amazing Popup manager here on my work's PC. :( plus I use the Image Blocker to block most ads from big time advertisers like doublick and others. plus for peace of mind, i have cookie manager active, so when i visit a new site, it asks if i want to save cookie or not for each site. like this forum, i allow cookies so it remembers me, or certain news sites. but while visiting, i dunno, Maxim Magazine ( :) ) i block cookies for better privacy. and the themes you can get for firebird/mozilla, some are absolutely amazing and slick. I think you'd need like 3 or 4 add-ons for IE, like one for tabs, one for skins, one for ad blocking, one for cookie control. been there, done that, kinda led to too many unstable moments having 4 programs overbearing your IE. mozilla has all that built-in. I even use its email program 100% of time. the main difference between mozilla 1.3 and firebird 0.5 is that mozilla is slower (about as slow as IE :( ) yet seems to be a lot more bug free than firebird, but they are visually the same browsers.let me know if u have more questions, or if i confused u too much by rambling. :(

GolfProRM
Just another question on Firebird.  Do you think it has advantages over a IE overlay browser called Crazybrowser? That is if anyonelse has ever used it. This overlay also uses a tabbed format and is only 539 KB.  I'm not on Crazybrowser's payroll or anything, but  just wanted to know if anyonelse ever used it, and if they had an opinion.
Never heard of CrazyBrowser... and personally, while the tabbed feature is a benefit, it's still using the IE engine, which means it's still essentially IE. I migrated to Firebird looking to drop one more Microsoft program, so it wouldn't be for me. If you like it, use it, I wouldn't tell you otherwise.... just wanted to tell you my reasons. :(

Cluttermagnet
manzer1984 - there are no dumb questions when it comes to computers. I got my first rig in 1983 and I'm still learning. If it wasn't for 'forums' I wouldn't of had the nerve to try 4 different distro's of Linux - I finally settled on Suse which worked the best for me.golfprorm - thanks for the updates on Firebird & Thunderbird. I downloaded both on my test computer and thus far they work very well. I am glad to see that mozilla.org finally decided to separate their browser and email client. When I get more famaliar with Linux, I'm going to setup Firebird and Thunderbird on that system as well.
Shoot, I'd never heard of Firebird until last month (when I joined this forum). I fell in love and have since devoted a bunch of time to testing it. I believe I asked the same question about IE when I got started on Firebird too... I'm having good luck with Thunderbird too... I absolutely love the interface and many of the features... I can only imagine how good this program will be if they continue down the right road! :DFirebird is a pretty easy install in Linux... same as in Windows! just extract and run! B)
I downloaded Phoenix 0.5 stable version to try after hearing a lot positive in this group, including from Scot. I'm sure glad I tried it. It is amazing! I will be using this one a lot and watching its development with great interest. It is definitely experienced as doing many things faster. It has popup blocking, which is pretty much an essential nowadays. I found a really neat plugin called Nuke- a tiny download that enables right clicking on banner ads or other offensive graphics and then banishing them with a single mouse click. Everybody is happy- the website still gets to serve their ads and I get to disable the display of the ads. Works for me. I like this browser a lot! Oh, yeah- tabbed browsing- I know some other browsers have had it- anyway this is the first time I have really tried it and I love the feature. So many conveniences. Very well thought out even though still in beta- they have really done a good job on this browser and it truly is ready to drive the minute you put it in a folder and open it. Phoenix is indeed, as they claim, a really well thought GUI with features everybody is going to want and a lot of the fluff left out- but you can add a lot of other stuff later. It reminds me of a car design where the engineers put a lot of thought into ergonomics- logical placement of controls, etc. Even the support site is well laid out with a lot of good info, lists of keyboard commands, lists of plugins, etc. What's not to like?

manzer1984

Thanks Prelude, I forgot all about enabling the cookie manager. I surf so many places at work and at home, cookies build up fast. B)

friendofdot

GolfPro,I'm the person that could not get Flash to install. After trying everything that you and others suggested, I reluctantly uninstalled Phoenix. However, after a few days without it, I decided this morning to try again. Now, nothing has changed, but I was able to install the Flash. Could not be happier B) I really like the tabs, not to mention the speed. As to why the flash installed today and not the other evening, I am clueless. Guess it is just one of the mysteries of computers life. Thanks again for all the help.

GolfProRM

Glad to hear! Gotta love computers huh? ;) The important thing is that it works...Sorry to get you confused... Too many things going on here all at once to keep track of everything :)If you need anything else, let us know! B)

Switched over to the recommended Phoenix build from Mozilla 1.2.1 (browser only). All seems OK, except for my Yahoo start page which seems to take forever to load completely. It does initially start faster, but I'm not sold on any real advantages over Mozilla. I find the problem with Yahoo (a pretty common site) to be annoying.

You had me wondering. I went over and loaded my yahoo email and the basic yahoo site. I was surprised how much faster they loaded than in explorer. Perhaps you have some settings to tweak (or untweak). I am using the Phoenix .5 build and have zero problems with the yahoo site. Keep trying. I don't know if it is a quirk in the build you are using.

One more thing to love about Mozilla if you like Roboform. They've developed a plug-in that works on builds up through 1.3.1 and it works great.

All I can tell 'ya is that the install routine only mentions "Mozilla/Netscape", and firing up Firebird after the install, I don't have a Roboform toolbar there. But to try it out I went to the LG forum login page, and all my info was already loaded, so maybe it does work in the background but doesn't load the usual toolbar. (???) :huh:

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --And it never did that before when you went to the LG forums?If not, that is very interesting. :huh: What does it mean, man! What does it mean! LOL!

I checked and you've got a point, it seems the built-in password manager is responsible for providing the info, not Roboform. And I don't get the usual right-click Roboform options like I do in Mozilla.I don't know what it means! But I'll bet the government's responsible. Or BiilG. Or both! :huh:

Yahoo (both normal and my customised My Yahoo page) both are at least as good for me in Firebird as in Mozilla - have you customised your yahoo page in any strange way?

Yahoo (both normal and my customised My Yahoo page) both are at least as good for me in Firebird as in Mozilla - have you customised your yahoo page in any strange way?
Actually it's the SBC/Yahoo DSL start page which is a little fancier than the stock one. Part (probably all) of the problem is that there is a small (200 X 150px) Macromedia Flash Player 6 screen that is constantly changing. It walks through all the main headlines and sometimes offers a clickable trailer. When a clickable trailer is featured it's just grey (same in Mozilla now that I think back, I'm now comparing to IE which loads to 'done' in seconds), but clicking on it will usually show the trailer anyway. Rarely does the word 'done' show up in the bottom left hand corner, it's constantly 'transfering data'. There is also a tag line next to it that is mis-aligned and overlays the text/headline under it when a trailer is offered.Right now it is always 'transfering data' and the box goes from normal to a grey box.I mis-spoke when I said it was correct in Mozilla, it wasn't. Must be a bug in the core code and it's handling of Flash.I'd post a screen shot, but I just noticed there appears to be no option to do this (that's a drag).

I'd post a screen shot, but I just noticed there appears to be no option to do this (that's a drag).
You can just press the PrtScn key in windows and then open up paint and paste it... You'll want to save it as a .jpg file, but that's it... If you need a place to host your file, email me, and I can host! B)

Don't forget to post these bugs back to the Mozilla team. I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.