New Firebird Build Is Huge

Scot

Scot, looking at the zip file, it seems that the phoenix.exe file is 66mb (packed to 27), instead of 6 like it has been.Don't know what this means exactly though.I'm going to install it here in a sec.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I can't figure out why it would become so huge. They may have added a bunch of debugging code, but that's 11x the size of the previous builds.I can tell you it's very fast. It seems a lot faster to me.-- Scot

It took a second or two longer to load initally (on my Celeron 366 work machine), but seems to be faster as a whole... pages are loading quicker. It's not using nearly as much processor time as it used to, but is using quite a bit more memory... (can't tell you exactly how much though.... will report on that after work).I'll leave this up for today, although won't after that... this version uses too much memory on this old machine.

Mozilla's Asa Dotzler just wrote me with the answer on why this new build is so huge:"The windows build looks like somehow the machine made a full debug build rather than an optimized build. Brian's been working on getting talkbck crash reporting hooked up for us and I suspect he accidentally flipped the switch or something like that. I've already sent him mail and assume tomorrow's build will return to normal."So hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow.-- Scot

I think I will stay with my .5 stable build that works great until they come out with a .6 stable build  :lol:
Now where's the fun in that? :) I love toying with new programs :) especially betas :)

The latest trunk 29-Apr-2003 version is huge -- over 25MB. I unzipped and ran it and it seems *very* fast. Haven't had time to check out all the differences. I'm assuming Java, but I'm not sure what else. Maybe someone else can shine more light on it.Check it out:http://komodo.mozilla.org/pub/phoenix/nigh...y/latest-trunk/-- Scot
Scot,It's back down to: Windows - 5.9MB Linux - 9.3MB Solaris - 11.5MBYou are so right - it is noticably faster. :D

Guest LilBambi
Don't blame you. I'm hearing possibly next week for the 0.6 build.-- Scot
Great! Will wait for that then ;)Ryan --LOL! I hear ya. But in this case, I like my current stable version :D

Guest ThunderRiver

Mm..it is not really too huge for me. I am using the nightly build firebird 0.6, and the download is quite small, which has impressed me a buncha on my girlfriend's 56k modem.

Lol ..........even when i first rushed to get the latest build .....i got 25 mb........but had to sneak around to get around and get 5.9 mb one nighlty build of Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030428 Mozilla Firebird/0.6yeah it does seem to be fast........ :ph34r:

Mm..it is not really too huge for me. I am using the nightly build firebird 0.6, and the download is quite small, which has impressed me a buncha on my girlfriend's 56k modem.
Yeah, it 25MB for about half the day, then they posted the normal 6MB version later that day. Nothing new since though, while both the Sparc and Linux versions have been updated.-- Scot

SonicDragon
Don't blame you. I'm hearing possibly next week for the 0.6 build.-- Scot
ooooOOOOOoooo! I guess i better go look!