WPA Problem

bjf123

I've got an iBook running Panther with an Airport Extreme card that I've got working with a Linksys BEFW11S4 wired / wireless router. As long as I don't turn on WPA, everything works fine. As soon as I enable WPA on the Linksys, I can't connect. When I try, the iBook recognizes that it needs to enter the WPA password, which I do, but it still won't connect. Has anyone been able to get those two items to work together? I haven't tried enabling WEP on the router because I really want the extra security offered by WPA.

nlinecomputers

Can't exactly say about a Mac but I've seen this kind of issue with competing cards on the PC side. I.E. you try to install a D-Link to connect to the router.When you say you are typing in the password what do you type? Linksys allows you to use a passphase that is converted into a 128bit security key. Different programs and computers use different ways to compute that key so a passphrase on one wil generate a different key. On the Mac don't use a pass phrase use the big long key that the Linksys router generates.

nlinecomputers

When you hit the WEP KEY SETTING button a new window pops up.It has a place to type in the passphrase and below it a box with the REAL key fills in with the long key. Also you need to make sure that your using the same level of WEP. I have no idea what a MAC supports but it I bet it handles 128bit keys and you should be using that.

I'm using WPA, and the Airport Extreme Card I have does support it. If I read that article on O'Reilly correctly, it makes it sound like I can only use WPA if I'm connecting to an Airport Extreme base station. If Apple did that, they've made a serious mistake.

I’ll apply the firmware update to mine and see if I get get the darn thing to work… It’s been acting funny lately so I’ve just not been using it. My AP Extreme card says that it supports WPA so lets see…Will report later.

AH!!! One reason why I hate this stupid thing… Linksys wont upgrade the firmware for my version, so no WPA. That’s fine, since I no LONGER RECOMMEND THEM.I hope to have an Airport Extreme base station sometime this spring… I’m tired of dealing with companies that favor Windows over Linux/Mac/Windows.

I'm still not having any luck. I even tried just using WEP. I couldn't connect then either. I'm wondering if I wasted money buying the Linksys wireless router. Maybe they're just plain incompatible. Would it be possible to add an Airport Extreme Base Station to my old wired Linksys? I've never really looked at how the AE Base Station connects.

Questions:Under, System Preferences > Network > Show "Network Status"Does it show the AirPort as having an IP that is connected to the net?Have you tried to only connect via the AirPort and not any other connection: dialup / ethernet? So you only have one listing there with an IP address?When you enter the WEP, are you entering the pass-phrase or the encrypted code generated by the router?Also note that officially you need a Windows Machine running IE to configure some of the settings of the router.

Questions:Under, System Preferences > Network > Show "Network Status"Does it show the AirPort as having an IP that is connected to the net?
Answers:The IP is handed out by the Linksys with DHCP. I have it set to only allow 3 IPs, one each for my hard wired Win98 HP, iMac, and the iBook.
Have you tried to only connect via the AirPort and not any other connection: dialup / ethernet?  So you only have one listing there with an IP address?
I'm not sure what you mean, here.
When you enter the WEP, are you entering the pass-phrase or the encrypted code generated by the router?
I tried entering both the pass-phrase and the encrypted code. Neither one worked.
Also note that officially you need a Windows Machine running IE to configure some of the settings of the router.
Do you know which settings?

Might come in handy... :devil: http://www.powermacuser.com/macboard/messages/894.html:) http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106250I've been looking for that tech article about Linksys routers requiring Windows and IE... But the basics were, that none of the Mac browsers were able to change some of the more advanced settings of Linksys wireless routers, where Mac browsers couldn't connect after changes were made (read as changes were not correctly established via Mac browsers). I'll keep looking for the article.

:D Apple just released an AirPort update.
Apple releases AirPort Software 3.3January 26 - 22:50 EST   Apple has released AirPort Software 3.3 via the Mac OS X Software Update preference pane. According to the release notes, this update provides "improved AirPort wireless networking software, and is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme and AirPort enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme base station. This software provides support for the Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) specification for the AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme and AirPort clients. Also included in this release is v5.3 of the AirPort Extreme base station firmware.

This software update provides improved AirPort wireless networking software, and is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme and AirPort enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme base station.New AirPort Extreme FeaturesThis software provides support for the Wi-Fi Protected Accessâ„¢ (WPA) specification for the AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme and AirPort clients. Please see AirPort Help for more information on WPA. Also included in this release is v5.3 of the AirPort Extreme base station firmware. Instructions for updating the base station firmware can also be found in AirPort Help.The AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme client are Wi-Fi Certifiedâ„¢ for 802.11b and 802.11g interoperability.

Thanks for the links. I'll give those suggestions a try when I get home this evening. I'll let you know. If I can't get it working tonight, I'll have to wait until next week. My wife and the iBook leave for Florida Wednesday evening.[edit]Looks like I'll be running Software Update tonight, too. Thanks for the heads up.[/edit]

Well, it's working, sort of. :thumbsup: I followed the instructions on the two links, but it still didn't work. Then, just for the heck of it, I tried enabling the SSID broadcast. With it enabled, the WPA encryption works. As soon as I turn off the broadcast, the connection is lost and cannot be reestablished without reenabling the SSID broadcast. I suppose I could leave it set as disabled, and just turn it on when we want to use the wireless connection, but that's a bit of a pain in the butt. Oh well. At least it's better than before. Then again, before, I could leave the SSID broadcast disabled and could connect, but without any encryption. :D

Guest LilBambi

Apparently many routers can have problems with the SSID broadcasting turned off and not just on the Mac. Been reading alot about that recently.If you can get the WPA working, you might just be better off not worrying as much about the SSID broadcasting.

It just seems strange that I can connect with the broadcasting off as long as I don't try to turn on the encryption. I hope that's a problem that is addressed in the future. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll stop by the local Apple store and ask one of the people working behind the Genius Bar.

Well, now it's all gone to **** in a handbasket. I can't connect to the Internet under any configuration. I think it has something to do with the IP addresses. If I look at the Airport item under Network, it says that the Airport card has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet. No kidding! Where the heck do I change the friggin' IP address for it? I've got the Linksys set to hand out IP addresses via DHCP, but have it limted to just three addresses, one each for the iBook and the hard wired iMac and HP PC. I'm probably missing something simple, but I'm about ready to through the ****** thing across the room. HELP!

Wish I could help you trouble shoot more. But I have an older version of the BEFW11S4 and Linksys has basically stopped supporting it by not upgrading the firmware.Have you tried clicking the renew DHCP Lease button under the AirPort's network pane? (see image below) Hm.. Might you open up more than just 3 addresses? I understand for security reasons, but you could set up MAC filtering, WPA, and disable the SSID from being broadcasted, and them possibly allow more than 3 addresses.When my system was working with my Linksys router it took a while to find the right settings to get it to work. But I made some simple change and it got screwed up. So I understand your frustration. I've basically given up, and don't even use the router anymore.Since it looks like you might be in a serious rut... Might I recommend that you reset the router to the factory defaults and start over from scratch setting up all the preferences for the router. First I would write down all the settings you have now, so you can go back to the way you have it set up; then hold the reset button for a while until the lights in the front change at least twice (it takes a while, short is simple reset, long is factory reset).I've also called Linksys a couple of times in the past and, if I got the right person, they were very helpful. You might want to try contacting their support...t~osx-network-dhcp.jpg

I did reset the router to all of the default settings, and then changed them one by one to the settings I want. I also tried to renew the DHCP lease. All that did was assign some strange IP address for the iBook (164.something) with no IP for the router. I have MAC filtering set up to allow only the iBook's MAC address. I can't turn off the SSID broadcast and enable WPA at the same time. It's one or the other, though I can enable both the SSID broadcast and WPA and have it work that way (prior to last night).After another hour of trying different settings last night, I was finally able to get it working again, but only if I kept WPA disabled. I changed so many things during that time, that I'm not sure what was the key to resolving the problem. I won't have a chance to work on it tonight, but I'll try again Wednesday night to get it back to WPA enabled. I sent an email to Linksys support last week asking if they knew any reason why the WPA only works with the SSID broadcast enabled. I haven't heard back from them. Right now, it's not that critical to have the SSID being broadcast or WPA disabled. It's a new house and the lots around me don't have homes on them yet. When things get more developed, there's going to be a park on one side of the house. That's when I'll want more security in place.One thing that didn't make any sense was during all of this, my wife could print wirelessly from the iBook with no trouble at all. That's what made me think it had to be an IP / gateway issue keeping the iBook from getting to the Internet.

Guest LilBambi
One thing that didn't make any sense was during all of this, my wife could print wirelessly from the iBook with no trouble at all.  That's what made me think it had to be an IP / gateway issue keeping the iBook from getting to the Internet.
Bingo! I think you are right there! Gotta be a gateway/IP thing if she can see the local net to print. You are definitely making headway I think. :thumbsup:Now what to do about that ..... I haven't a clue under those conditions. :thumbsup: