OpenSuSE 13.1 Install

ebrke

Well, OpenSuSE 13.1 is installing on old XP laptop as I write. I chose the network install option, which I've used before, mainly because I can't burn a DVD on my old, old existing linux hardware and I have a poor track record creating bootable media using windows software! Network install still fits on a cd.

The installer did some things I wondered about, but in the end I decided to let the installer have its way and see what happened. There were 2 primary partitions existing (windows preload and a service partition). Using gparted, I had created one EXT4 partition and an extended partition. I figured the installer would pick the EXT4 primary partition for root, and propose creating 2 new logical partitions for swap and home, but the installer wanted to create 3 new logical partitions. I debated editing the partitioning to force root to the primary partition I had created, but decided to let it go and see how it worked. I've never had a system boot from an extended partition before, so we'll see how it goes (I made very sure the new install was NOT going to boot from MBR). I chose XFCE, but I get all the gnome libs installed anyway because I requested gnucash install.

I'm at 35% completion just since I started this post.

EDIT: 81% completion in about 40 minutes. I noticed Mozilla Thunderbird being installed--never got that at install before, but it's fine because I was going to get it later. I did request some additional software during the install including office apps (libre office) but not Thunderbird.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

Cool! Let us know how it goes. I've got openSUSE 12.3 here and I think I'll ride it out until its EOL, or close to it, then go to 13.2. I guess 13.2 is gonna get put off until about November, so hopefully 12.3's lifetime will be extended to two months after that (see: http://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime).

• Like 2

Cool! Let us know how it goes. I've got openSUSE 12.3 here and I think I'll ride it out until its EOL, or close to it, then go to 13.2. I guess 13.2 is gonna get put off until about November, so hopefully 12.3's lifetime will be extended to two months after that (see: http://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime).

There were very few openSuSE users around these parts for a while. Glad to find another brain to pick. Install finished, I've got to check and see what I've got. Start to finish, barely an hour, and I spent some time customizing the install.

EDIT: Looks good so far. Don't know yet how well my HP multifunction printer setup worked, but not too concerned about that at this point. I just started Online Update to get all required patches. I'm really old school--YaST is familiar ground to me--zypper is something on my jeans as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to catch up I guess.

EDIT: Posting from openSuSE 13.1. Less than 2 hours from start of install through downloading 189 patches to update system. Old HP Laserjet 1220 will print, but takes forever in the print queue. This has been going on over several installs since sometime in OpenSuSE version 10, maybe, on different hardware. I just live with it and hope I never have to print something in a hurry. I also just realized that I inadvertently just requested a KDE package in Software Manager so will have ALL KDE libs as well as Gnome. Oh well, that's what I get for working when I'm tired.

Far as I can tell, this was a successful install. I may even try it on my ancient hardware currently running 11.3. With a minimal window manager, it might fly, at least until the hardware finally gives up the ghost.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

You may just have never noticed before, but OpenSuSE came with Moz T-bird in the main repos since forever. When I was playing around with OpenSuSE 10 back in '06, it was in there.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

I sit corrected. I just did a search of the older SuSE repos. Thunderbird does not appear in them until 13.1. I guess my brain's SuSE partition has a few bad sectors. I'm going to fsck it now. ;)

• Like 1

You may just have never noticed before, but OpenSuSE came with Moz T-bird in the main repos since forever. When I was playing around with OpenSuSE 10 back in '06, it was in there.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

I sit corrected. I just did a search of the older SuSE repos. Thunderbird does not appear in them until 13.1. I guess my brain's SuSE partition has a few bad sectors. I'm going to fsck it now. ;)

I always used KDE before and it came with KMail or some such--never used Gnome desktop so I don't know what SuSE used for email with that. I thought maybe XFCE came with Thunderbird. Edited by ebrke

Since I've moved Arch Linux onto an actual machine, I decided to try Open SUSE in Virtual Box. Installation took a while since after downloading the large DVD ISO I also enabled the online repositories so the updates came down from there during the install. The VirtualBox Guest Additions worked right out of the box so no building of modules was needed.

I initially went with Gnome but in VirtualBox at least I found it buggy. When I tried installing Chromium it didn't work properly and I could not configure anything in the settings. After switching over to KDE Chromium works just fine.

• Like 1

I always have an OpenSUSE installed somewhere. I find it reliable albeit slow like some stated but since Mandrake time this is the one I rely on beside Mageia, then it's Linux Mint and all the others after that ( Siduction, Arch, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS). My choice obviously!

• Like 1

I always have an OpenSUSE installed somewhere. I find it reliable albeit slow like some stated but since Mandrake time this is the one I rely on beside Mageia, then it's Linux Mint and all the others after that ( Siduction, Arch, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS). My choice obviously!

Didn't realize you had an OpenSuSE install--as I said, for a while there didn't seem to be many users here. Glad to know there's at least 3 of us now! Reliable is the reason I have stayed with SuSE since version 8.x years ago. I'm not inquisitive--if it works, I'll stick with it. Edited by ebrke

Another OpenSuser checking in. Running 12.3 w/KDE 4.10.5 at the moment.

I have a 250 GB SSD standing by at the moment waiting to be installed, but it's on the back burner for right now. At that time, I'll probably upgrade to the current version. I may do a fresh install at that time since I might be swapping around some other hardware, too.

Far as I can tell, this was a successful install. I may even try it on my ancient hardware currently running 11.3. With a minimal window manager, it might fly, at least until the hardware finally gives up the ghost.

I have 12.3 running on a Dell B120 laptop (Intel Celeron M, 1.40 GH/z, 512 MB RAM) with minimal fuss. I use LXDE for the WM. Honestly, though, that particular machine sits unused 99% of the time. :(

• Like 1

Didn't realize you had an OpenSuSE install--as I said, for a while there didn't seem to be many users here. Glad to know there's at least 3 of us now! Reliable is the reason I have stayed with SuSE since version 8.x years ago. I'm not inquisitive--if it works, I'll stick with it.

I'm not sure when I started using it ( I mean which version) but I know it was in the days of Mandrake 7.0 and Xandros 3. So probably prior to OpenSuSE and when SuSE was available for free.

• Like 1

I have 12.3 running on a Dell B120 laptop (Intel Celeron M, 1.40 GH/z, 512 MB RAM) with minimal fuss. I use LXDE for the WM. Honestly, though, that particular machine sits unused 99% of the time. :(

I just completed an install of 13.1 on an ancient Dell desktop (Optiplex GX260) that is 10+ years old. I wasn't going to bother bringing it up from 11.3, but so far the hardware is still chugging along so I figured I'd give it a try. Installing 192 system updates now.