67 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

I believe we can safely state that this problem is an issue with Debian-based version 0.13 of LXQt DE in Virtualbox.  Those are the only consistencies across all my VM distros.  FWIW...

#52 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:27 PM

Makes sense. Trust me to choose the DE and distro that'll go pear-shaped in VBox.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#53 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

haha!  it's still a good test-bed though.  If it impresses in VirtualBox, even IF it goes pear-shaped, it will probably go beast-mode on bare metal?!

I'm still digging Sparky LXQt rolling!  Knock on wood...so far so good!

#54 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:29 PM

Found something interesting Ray.  Boot in recovery mode, so you can see the start process without a Plymouth screen.  You can see the boot process "hanging" or being "throttled" at several checkpoints in the boot sequence.  Not sure what it means, and certainly don't know what to do about it, but instead of wondering what is causing the boot delays, you can SEE the extreme delays.  FWIW...

#55 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:34 PM

Recovery mode was rather unenlightening for me. I saw the early part of the boot process but Sparky zipped through it until I either had to put in the root password or hit Ctrl-D. At this point after Ctrl-D the display manager took over and after I put in user ID and password I just got the login screen for a while until the desktop came up.
Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:14 PM

Just for giggles I installed the LXQt desktop on my Thinkpad which runs Debian Stretch. It boots and runs like a champion. Posting from it now. So we can safely say it's a VBox issue. :yes:

Edited by raymac46, 14 September 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Posted Image

#57 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

Let me get clear on this. The problem is only on latest VBox when the guest is updated to 4.18 kernel?
Sparky with 4.16 kernel seems fine on latest VBox. Host siduction has 4.18.6.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#58 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

The one that has given slow boots (but works eventually) is Sparky LXQt in VBox with kernel 4.18. I am using latest VBox on Windows 10 host.
Posted Image

#59 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

I experienced this issue booting Sparky LXQt on VirtualBox 5.1.0.  Both kernel 4.17 and kernel 4.18 are slow.  While I initially installed with 4.16 kernel, I don't know if slow boot was an issue with that kernel, as Sparky was brand new to me and the kernel updated so quickly after initial install.  And Sparky has already "cleaned up" the 4.16 kernel residuals, so I can't boot with that.

Referencing the chain of posts between Ray and me, Ray has the latest & greatest VirtualBox, while I do not (trailing edge, heheh?).

#60 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

Ray, and anyone else following along who's interested, I've got this problem solved!

Cruising the Sparky forums looking for ANYTHING that might yield a clue to slow-booting desktop environments, and found this thread:
https://sparkylinux....pic,4554.0.html

It was interesting to me, as it indicated the problem wasn't limited to LXQt, but also found in XFCE.  I tried the XFCE solution, with no satisfaction, so re-installed the purged package.  Cruised around the forum looking for related entries and found threads discussing
systemd-analyze time
and
systemd-analyze blame
(of which this forum thread discussed extensively) and even some resolved threads indicating that 2 desktops installed on the same Sparky, then removed; and similarly, an UUID entry in fstab in a former dual-boot situation were both culprits in a slow-booting Sparky.

I even cruised the Siduction forum, knowing that my Siduction LXQt VM experiences a nearly identical issue.  (saw a fella named sunrat on that forum!  'Wazzup!)  Siduction forum indicates that a Siduction VM (of any flavor) won't even boot in VB with kernel 4.18, recommending boot with kernel 4.17 as a workaround.  This is exactly what I do in Siduction.

Coupled with Ray & my personal experiences, this all seems to point squarely at Debian Sid/Testing kernels, IMO, and their interaction with VB.  Inasmuch as I continue to be enamored with Sparky, and given that I haven't found any deal-killers (yet?!), I decided to register for the forum and pose the question in that thread.  Woke up this morning to an overnight response from pavroo, who is a Sparky dev, which I know from experiences lurking on that forum.  He said that the Sparky kernel resolves the VB issue?  WHAT?  Doesn't Sparky install and boot with its own kernel?  Nope...
uname -a
indicates the 4.18.0 kernel is a Debian kernel...likely the same problem kernel in Sid, or derived from the same one, I'd venture a guess.

So I poked around in Sparky's APTus application (for Sparky repo packages) and sure enough, in the System category, is an option to "Install Sparky Kernel".  Long story short, installed the Sparky kernel, rebooted, and the desktop appears rather quickly!  Added bonus, I now have sound and my shared folder with my host system is now visible and mounted in PCManFM-QT!  Double added bonus, it appears that the Sparky community (or at least the developer) is active, with good ability to troubleshoot the distro.  Another criteria checked off the list for new-distro shopping!

So there ya go Ray....I think we were right with kernel/VB issues...and the Sparky dev has provided a solution that works in my rig.  While I still have the ever-so-smallest nagging doubt that it "could be a coincidence", this is easily tested.  If you're so inclined, would you please do the same with your Sparky VB and verify it works in your installation also?

#61 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

Not a lot of time to discuss today as I have a doctor appointment, but yes installing the Sparky kernel fixed the issue of the slow boot in VBox.
Posted Image

#62 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

Back from the doc - all OK. The release announcement for Sparky 5.5 references the long load time and the substitution of Sparky Kernel 4.18.8 as default in the ISO. So it does look as if the Sparky developers are on top of things. It might be a good choice for an HJ respin if you are satisfied with how they handle the Testing to Stable interim when Buster becomes stable.
Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:58 PM

View Postraymac46, on 20 September 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Back from the doc - all OK. The release announcement for Sparky 5.5 references the long load time and the substitution of Sparky Kernel 4.18.8 as default in the ISO. So it does look as if the Sparky developers are on top of things. It might be a good choice for an HJ respin if you are satisfied with how they handle the Testing to Stable interim when Buster becomes stable.

Yep.  They scored major points with quick diagnosis and response on the forum.  I think Sparky might be "the one", but I've got time to keep putting it through its paces.  Ideally, I'd like to pass through that cycle before I make a final determination.  I'm perfectly willing to stick with Lubuntu...don't want to, but willing.  Lack of "rolling release" is the only knock against it, IMO...but that's become an important one.

It's kind of interesting...I was a distro farmer before I even made the switch to Linux.  Back then, I farmed to find out which was the right distro for me.  I bounced around between several distros in a VM before Ubuntu 9.10 became the clear cut choice.  And I was happy with that decision and continued to use it (even through the Unity brouhahaha) until around 14.04, when it started to just get too resource hungry.  Coming from Windows, that's kinda funny, but after 5 years of being spoiled, that was no longer acceptable.  Lubuntu was an easy choice after that.  I could make it look exactly like Unity, but still with underlying Ubuntu under-pinnings (say THAT 3x fast!).  This will be the first time that I'm looking to make a switch because I was the one who moved the target, so to speak.  Even the initial Windows>Linux migration was because of Windows-initiated issues, IMO.  This one is definitely on me though...and thankfully, there are options.  Out of the hundreds available, and the approximately 10+ that I've recently sorted through and distro-farmed, we may have ONE ideal distro.  I love that we have those choices available!

#64 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:39 PM

I think I'll probably keep at least three distros on the go:
  • Linux Mint Cinnamon - my wife and grandkids find it easy to use and most converts to Linux like it.
  • Debian - I like GNOME 3 (finally) and Debian is very stable (if you choose stable.) Flexible enough to choose different desktops if you don't like GNOME.
  • Arch - love pacman and the geeky way you install, plus you can roll it any way you want. As a rolling release, you can't beat it.

Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

More Sparky LXQt Issues. After the last update when I start the VM I get a black screen and the display jumps back and forth between full screen and a much smaller one that I assume is 1024X768 from the look of it. The display manager never shows up. I just deleted the VM.
Posted Image

#66 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:10 PM

i've been updating also, and just updated yesterday.  no issues for me...so far(!).  knock on wood.

#67 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:17 PM

Nuke and repave. I just downloaded and installed the Sparky 5.5 ISO of LXQt and everything is back to normal.
Posted Image

#68 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,804 posts

Posted Today, 01:37 PM

Well, Sparky Linux LXQt is still chugging away and I haven't had any systems issues with instance #2 so far in VBox. What troubles me though is the huge number of updates since it's based on Debian Testing. It should pose no problem to a veteran user of Linux - it's no more problematic than Arch in this regard - but I personally would not install it for a new user. The stable version now based on Stretch might be better, although at present it is an LXDE based distro.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users