Printer HP and uninstall its driver completely

zillah

I have got hp LaserJet 1012 printer (USB), I guess its driver was installed incorrectly (although it is easy) , how can I remove the driver completely , to install it again , because right now whenever I tried to install driver , windows won’t let me do it .The printer has not been installed in “Printer and Fax†section yet.I have got win2003 OS

If the driver is not listed in the Add/Remove programs, it didn't install at all. If Windows won't let you do it again, I'm betting on either an unsigned driver, or bad media for the driver disk. Try downloading the driver straight from HP.

Device Manager may still have it. If Device Manager shows your printer (with 'Show hidden devices' enabled in the View menu), then do the following in order:- uninstall the device by right-clicking it, - unplug your printer, - remove the software CD from the drive, - reboot, - re-install the software, printer (when prompted to), then update the driver at HP's site.HP printers are finicky this way. Software first, hardware second, then drivers.

I have always hated HP's sofware, but I always use HP printers. Basically (and you may be doing this, it doesn't say). You install HP with their software (download the latst), and uninstall from their uninstall utility. Do not use the windows printer utility.Hope this helps.

Edited by Art743

I have always hated HP's sofware
Likewise.We have 16 of those printers at work. We occassionaly have a glitch with them and I have to unplug the printer (power and USB) and use step 4 from this link to reinstall the printer driver:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757
4. Start Microsoft Windows Explorer, and then delete all the files and the folders in the following two folders (where C: is the drive where you have Windows XP installed):• C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers • C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86
Then reboot, plug in the printer and let it find the new driver from the CD after Windows loads. Usually I'd say install the software first (as Phil said) and then plug in the hardware when prompted, but this way works for me in this scenario. Although it's not quite the same problem you're having it may be worth a shot :D . Edited by daveydoom