The New WinFS! (Yukon) File System

Guest ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, recently, CNet wrote a nice article explaining what WinFS (codenamed Yukon) is and giving users an outlook of what future computing is like in Windows Longhorn. Take a look :D It is worth it!Link is hereThunderRiver

Interesting article, but whats not clear is how would the strucutre of the folders be,same as we see now under this NTFS & FAT filesystems ??Would we have the option of maintaining the current filesystem, i mean if we dont want to usethe WinFs....... :( . What would its performance and impact be etc etc and such many FAQ's.....any idea dudes.....? :D

Guest ThunderRiver

Currently, in alpha leaks, you can uninstall WinFS. However, if you don't use it, it seems to lose the point of using Longhorn. Do you know how much Bill Gates want to make it work in Longhorn? It has been in his dream for more than 10 years since the beginning of OS project codenamed Cairo.Cairo failed, but alot of its features have already been implemented in Windows NT4 and 2000. Now, Bill's goal would be putting Yukon in Longhorn. I am sure that once you started using it, you will refuse to take it off. The feature is great, so try it first before you take it out.I highly doubt you will be able to turn it off by the time beta 1 is released because tt is going to be integrated inside Windows. ThunderRiver

SonicDragon

I'm definatly looking foward to Long Horn. I haven't tested it or anything, but it seems like it's a step in the right direction.

Have to say that I'm not sure I'm buying into WinFS. There's a cynical part of me that has to wonder out loud, is WinFS and the other hardware requirements Longhorn is going to exact just another way for Microsoft to attempt to boost new PC sales through its operating system?And from a technical standpoint, I'm not sure that making a query the primary underpinning for finding anything in your file system is a logical one. I know that many other operating systems (not PC types) have used this paradigm before. But I'm still a little leery of it on mainstream end-user desktops. Millions and millions of them.Of course, I also see the potential, which is huge. But I'm just not sold on it this early.Thunder, what do you like about it? Do you see any downsides you can talk about?-- Scot

Guest ThunderRiver

Yes, currently, Longhorn is still in Alpha development, so WinFS is actually running like an indexing service in Windows Xp. Well, I am talking about the high amount of memory usage and also alot of hard drive write/read. When I was using it awhile back, WinFS uses RAM as much as explorer.exe in Task Manager, and as you use it longer, the memory usage can jump as high as 72 Mb where as explorer.exe uses another 40 to 50 Mb (due to the sidebar). One thing for sure, Microsoft is still improving its product, and I believe sometime this summer, when the beta testing starts, it should be trimed down to an optimal amount of memory usage.Other than that, it is quite sleek. I copied a number of mp3 files on my hard drive pratically anywhere.. on the desktop.. under c:\ or even c:\data\music\mp3., and then I proceed to listen to my music with Windows Media Player 9 (yes it is built-in as part of Longhron), and it plays music straight off this "Media Library" folder (formerly called "My Music"), and every single song that I ever copied on the hard drive, was linked in that media folder. The same case applies for Word documnts for "My Document" folder. I tried the search feature in Longhron, and it is lightening fast. In Windows Xp, you can see that xp is earching for files directory by directory ..or even sub-directory. However, in Longhorn, you type in a keyword, and 3 sec, the result pops out right away. The search feature still needs some improvement though. I remember when I was messing around with the setting in "Serach", and explorer.exe crashed. But keep in mind that it is Alpha. Alpha comes before Beta, so you are expected to see some crashes. Back in build 3683, the "search" box is apparent to user on the sidebar, but I am not sure why MS took it off in M4 4008. I hope MS will add them back as Beta kicks start this year.Another thing is that if you have used MS Access before, you would know how powerful the filtering engine is. I am quite contented that filter feature is implemented in Longhorn, and it partly depends on Yukon to work properly as well. WinFS or Windows Future Storage is currently uninstallable thruogh "Add/Remove" in Control Panel. That also applies to Sidebar as well as Media Center MyTV feature.

Thanks, Thunder, these are some of the most insightful comments about WinFS that I've read anywhere. Of course, I will give it chance. I intend to travel to Redmond and take part in the Reviewer's Workshop that Microsoft has for every new version of Windows. Having search that fast does sound *very* appealing, especially if it is fast enough not to be an end-user's separate function, but is in fact built into the UI such that "running a search" is a background function that the user never even has to think about. That may be why Microsoft took the search area off the interface, in fact.But I guess we'll have to wait and see, eh?I guess I should sign up to be an official beta tester instead of the lazy Press beta tester (who never files bug reports) that I have sometimes become in recent years. This is one OS I want to test from the ground up.-- Scot

Guest ThunderRiver

Oh yes, I am waiting to see what new features MS will put in Longhorn :) There are a lot of exciting features that PC users will be quite impressed.

SonicDragon

Yes, i agree scot, the new file system does scare me alittle, and so does the system resouces issue. What about the compatabily issue? Anyone read anything on that?Scot, i would also love to test Longhorn too, but i don't have the time or the resources :D You'll have to let us know what u find!