Photo

Running Old Software

21 Jul 2017

Posted by raymac46 in All Things Windows
My neighbor across the street asked me to help out with a software issue today.
He was running a program called Simply Accounting and it wouldn't work any more. Why an 85 year old retiree needs to keep his personal finance records on an accounting program is beyond me - but I digress.
Turns out his copy was from 2011 and when he got it the user ran a standalone program on one's local PC. The company has been sold and now it's mostly a cloud based software as a service product. Probably the standalone program has been patched many times. I think there is an up to date standalone version still available.
He had a few glitches so he uninstalled and reinstalled the software, putting him right back to 2011. The program uses a MySQL database and immediately the program informed him that the database format was now incompatible. His data is apparently toast.
I thought maybe we could run a system restore but the only restore point was 9:30 AM today and he couldn't say for sure that he had removed and reinstalled after that time. So I didn't want to chance it.
I advised him to take his laptop to the local computer store. They are pretty literate and maybe if he buys or installs the latest version of the software it'll be able to import his data. Failing that maybe they can parse the database and get a report so he can re-key his numbers.
Why people insist on running obsolete software I'll never understand. But this was one problem I didn't want to try to fix.

124 Views · 13 Replies ( Last reply by raymac46 )

Photo

Why 'experiental' marketing will be a massive IT challenge

Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

In the 1989 comedy Back the Future, Part 2, Marty McFly travels into the high-tech, space-age future of 2015 where he encounters, among other dazzling wonders, a shark hologram advertising Jaws 10.

That kind of advertising is called experiential marketing, where consumers are deeply immersed in a brand in a way that's novel, emotional and memorable.

Advertising on the web, TV, radio, print publications, billboards and elsewhere is here to stay. But it's being supplemented and boosted by the rise of experiential marketing with the aid of powerful newly ubiquitous technology. Unlike more traditional forms of advertising, it appears at first as if experiential marketing doesn't scale.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

31 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

16 essential iOS typing tips for iPad and iPhone

21 Jul 2017

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

How much time do you spend typing on your iPad or iPhone? I imagine you spend quite a lot of your time doing just that—so here are 16 tips I’ve picked up along the way that show you how to type in iOS.

Quick currency

When you want to type another currency symbol, just press and hold the dollar key and you’ll see a bunch of alternatives you can select.

Secret keys

That press and hold tip works on any character on your keyboard. Try it. In many cases, you’ll see that when you do this, you’ll yield a host of useful characters that don’t appear on screen.

CAPITALIZE

Everyone should know that when you double-tap the Shift key you automatically enable Caps Lock.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

14 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 49 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS