Mandriva 2009 with KDE 3.5.10

Bruno

The new Mandriva 2009 comes with KDE 4.1.2 as default ( honestly it's not that bad, I'm getting used to it and even start to like it ) . . . . but if you really want there are a few options to get KDE 3.5.10.I will list them here but since I want to test these options first you might want to wait for the results of these tests before jumping in with both feet.Here are the options:1). Do a net-install2). Do a regular install ( yes with KDE 4.1 ) and after first boot install KDE3 ( "urpmi task-kde3" ) ( your /home might end up in a mess if you first login to KDE4 though ! )3). There is a brand new feature that will update your existing MDV 2008.1 to 2009 like a "regular" update ( with the update applet next to your clock ) . . . it is not active yet, BUT as soon as it is I will test this feature and report on it. This way you will know if you can use it with no risk on your system.Here is from the release notes:

Please note that if you use the Free or Powerpack editions to do an upgrade install from a previous Mandriva Linux release, KDE 3 - if installed - will be replaced by KDE 4, and your personal KDE settings and customizations will be lost. If you do not want this to happen, we recommend you either use the installer's ability to add internet repositories prior to doing the upgrade, or do a network installation, or use the newly-introduced ability of Mandriva Online (the Mandriva update notification applet) to perform upgrades from one release to the next (an official update for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring will provide this function). Using any of these methods, the upgrade process will have KDE 3 packages available, and your upgraded Mandriva Linux 2009 system will have KDE 3 and your personal settings preserved.
:thumbsdown: Bruno

I did a test of option No 2: First I used the ONE live CD to install with KDE 4.1 . . . next I did "urpmi task-kde3" and after installing the packages I changed the default desktop in the MCC --> boot to KDE.All is fine ! . . . . the trick is that KDE 4.1.2 uses /home/bruno/.kde4 for the config files and KDE 3.5.10 uses /home/bruno/.kde . . . . so the config files don't get mixed up and everything is great ! ( Only the menu has a few double entries . . . . but I will sort that out with the menu editor )Still, I don't think option No 2 is the best option !Will test option No 3 as soon as it is available. ( it isn't yet ) And will report back to you.:thumbsdown: BrunoPS: I used the Live CD because the downloads of the PowerPack ( the i568 and the 64bits ) are still running, the torrent is slow, not enough seeders.

Bruno, someone recently posted that they could not find the control center for Kde 4. Is there one, and if so, how did you find it?Thanks,Bill

Edited by BillD

Hi BillThe old KDE Control Center is now called "systemsettings" and there is an icon for it on the taskbar with the caption "configure your desktop" ( next to the icon of the MCC )Also the printer section is removed from the MCC and KDE Control Center . . . it is now a new tool called "system-config-printer" ( start it from the commandline, needs to be installed if you use the Live CD, but is installed by default with the DVD ) . . . works really well.:thumbsdown: Bruno

Hi BillThe old KDE Control Center is now called "systemsettings" and there is an icon for it on the taskbar with the caption "configure your desktop" ( next to the icon of the MCC )Also the printer section is removed from the MCC and KDE Control Center . . . it is now a new tool called "system-config-printer" ( start it from the commandline, needs to be installed if you use the Live CD, but is installed by default with the DVD ) . . . works really well.B) Bruno
this has nothing to do with the review but why would anyone get the dvd iso.........i mean is there a difference between the dvd image and the cd image.

These are the results of the tests of option No 3: the update with the applet next to the clock. ( this might indeed be the best option B) )If you have "DO_NOT_ASK_FOR_DISTRO_UPGRADE=false" in /etc/sysconfig/mdkapplet your applet will turn blue and it will ask you if you want to upgrade to 2009.This only will work if you have a stable broadband connection, don't try it if it is flaky because you will end up with a heap of troubles. ( See Dale's post here on the forum )First open a terminal and leave it open during the process, this is a safety measure so we can run a command as soon as the upgrade is done.( you can and should not open the menu or start an application after the process so that is why we want it open now )Next let the blue applet do the magic and say OK to upgrading . . . it will take some time depending on your connection. On my test-install it downloaded and installed 1711 packages.Once it is finished DO NOT TOUCH the menu or anything else, just in the open terminal type "# urpmi --auto-update" and see if it comes up clean ( no more packages to install, none missed in the previous upgrade process )Next type "reboot" and in most cases you will be fine.In my case it had failed to correctly set up the Nvidia card . . . so I had to do a "safe boot" ( see grub menu ) and "XFdrake" as root to configure the card.Once the card was configured I rebooted and all was fine.I am very happy with the 2009 KDE 3.5 . . . it's great !B) BrunoNOTE: Maybe better wait a few days, with MDV just released ( and this update option active ) the mirrors are hammered ! The risk of an incomplete upgrade are big at this moment . . . . so please hold off for a week at least.

Okay . . . Option No1: the net-install-upgrade trick.Here is the deal: This will not work on an empty or formatted partition. You do need an existing install of Mandriva 2008.1 ( or 2008.0 ) and the boot.iso from here: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...images/boot.iso You will boot from the CD and start an FTP install more or less like described in the first section Here except when choosing sources you can select the "2009" option. ( Navigating in the boot CD is done with the Tab-key, the Arrow keys and the Enter-key )At the point where you see "Loading program into memory" the *normal* Mandriva installer will start . . . . you're half way done.Early in the install you will see this screen:2934505533_f291d17f60_o.png <-- ClickChoose the "Upgrade" ( not the "install" ) . . . and the rest is fully automatic B) Have fun with your 2009 KDE 3.5 !!B) BrunoPS: My favorite option would be Option No 2 ;)Same warning here as in post above: NOTE: Maybe better wait a few days, with MDV just released ( and this update option active ) the mirrors are hammered ! The risk of an incomplete upgrade are big at this moment . . . . so please hold off for a week at least.

ATTENTION: The mirrors have not cooled down yet . . . . please wait more days before jumping in with both legs !!!:D Bruno

Yeah, those jammed servers are also affecting updates...plus it's my understanding that the server sites located in the western US are having power issues..so that (if my understanding correct) would also be a factor.....

Yeah, those jammed servers are also affecting updates...plus it's my understanding that the server sites located in the western US are having power issues..so that (if my understanding correct) would also be a factor.....
LOL . . that is what you get when you release a hugely popular distro ;)Thanks BarryB) Bruno

The upgrade fuction ( option No 2 ) is temporarily disabled . . . . there are many many problems with the mirrors.Here is a quote from Adam Williamson from Mandriva:

As of today (Monday 13th October) we have temporarily disabled the graphical in-line upgrade feature from 2008 Spring to 2009, so Mandriva Online will no longer notify you that 2009 is available and offer to let you upgrade to it.Many people have reported this feature worked great for them, but as anyone reading this forum can probably see, other people have been having trouble. We have identified several potential causes of problems during the upgrade process, from disk space being exhausted to multiple mirror synchronization issues. Therefore we're disabling the feature for a few days while we work on providing updates to make the process more robust. Once we're satisfied that the process has been made sufficiently resilient, we'll re-enable the feature. You don't need to do anything: this is just a notification to explain the situation, and why 2008 Spring boxes won't be offering 2009 upgrades for a few days.I will be adding a section to the Errata - http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata - to provide the possible workaround for those who have already attempted the upgrade and run into problems. Basically, log in - or if you can't log in normally, switch to a console and log in there - and run urpmi --auto-update as root.
source: http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=96256:thumbsdown: Bruno

• 3 weeks later...
KDE 3.5.10 uses /home/bruno/.kde . . . . so the config files don't get mixed up and everything is great ! ( Only the menu has a few double entries . . . . but I will sort that out with the menu editor )
Hi Bruno,Where is this blessed menu editor?I did the urpmi task-kde3 'downgrade' (just because I wanted to) but had a lot of difficulty getting mandriva 2009 to boot to the KDE 3.5.10 desktop.The official solution according to the forum.mandriva.com is to click on the edit button at the login screen where all the options are listed and it should say KDE among others. Mine didn't so I appeared to be stuck booting into KDE 4.I checked the boot options in the MCC and found under the item for setting up an automatic login that the item for KDE was present there. Now I don't like the automatic logging in of a user - it is always me - but even so I don't like it. But it was the only way on this box that I could actually see a way to get to KDE 3.5.10. If you had any solutions or work-a-rounds for this I would be mighty glad to hear them.Meanwhile if you could tell me where to find the menu editor to aid in removing the double entries I would be mighty, mighty grateful,All the best,Hugh

Hi HughFor the login menu issue . . my "kde" showed up after a reboot but if it does not just reinstall "kdm" and you should be fine B) ( urpmi --replacepkgs kdm )For the menu-editor: rightclick on the menu button and you will see "Menu Editor" . . . ( yep I had to remove a good few double entries as well )B) Bruno

Hi HughFor the login menu issue . . my "kde" showed up after a reboot but if it does not just reinstall "kdm" and you should be fine B) ( urpmi --replacepkgs kdm )For the menu-editor: rightclick on the menu button and you will see "Menu Editor" . . . ( yep I had to remove a good few double entries as well )B) Bruno
Dear Bruno,Thanks, thanks and much thanks. urpmi --replacepkgs kdm worked a treat.And thanks also for the menu-editor information.And thanks also for the speedy reply,Hugh