Why I use Uefi Bios and GPT Partitioning

mhbell

I have taken Excerpts From several different sources for this article. If you want to know more about GPT and MBR Partitioning, I would recommend a vistit to Rod Smiths Website. rodsmith@rodsbooks.com. What follows is a short primer on MBR and GPT.

The main difference between MBR and GPT is that MBR has some limitations for modern usage. Namely, MBR can only handle four primary partitions and 2TB of HDD space. GPT, meanwhile, doesn’t have these limits at all. There’s no limit to partitions or storage outside of what the drive itself can handle.

The MBR system originally provided for only four partitions. As a workaround, one of these original (or primary) partitions can be set aside (and is then known as an extended partition) to hold an arbitrary number of logical partitions. This configuration is awkward and can lead to problems, since some OSes can only boot from primary partitions.

MBR partitions are susceptible to damage. The primary partition table is stored entirely within the first sector of the disk, so if it's destroyed or damaged, it will be hard to recover the disk's partitions. Logical partitions are stored in a linked list data structure that's scattered over the extended partition, so if a single link is broken, access to the remaining logical partitions will be lost.

Here is a screen shot of my partitioning on a second hard drive. All of the partitions are Primary and GPT I can delete partitions in the middle, beginning or end, without hurting the other partitions or any of the other OS’s. Note the EFI partition at the beginning.

Mel

Screenshot_partition.png

• Like 4

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting stuff. One of these days, if I ever get a machine or mobo that requires this knowledge, I'll be checking it out more thoroughly. :)

• Like 1