Slackware 9.1

SonicDragon

I finally got slackware 9.1 downloaded and installed. The download was really really slow, but, it didn't disconnect me for once.No major problems, i tried to scroll mouse tip, and X wouldn't start because it said the mouse was not correctly configured. This led to a reinstall. Oh well, i can deal without a scroll mouse. It said that /dev/psaux was the error. Should i try keeping the /dev/mouse setting and changing everything else?MY SOUND WORKS! The printer still doesn't work, but i'll mess around with that later.

Congrats Sonic !! Slack 9.1 . . . . we love it ! . . . :P :w00t:Your mouse problems . . . . . I followed the Slackware Tips and have no problem at all . . . are you sure you made no typo changing the XF86Config file ?:D Bruno

Slackware does not like me. I put the CD in and it sent to the install. I once did the root and the enters and went into the setup. It threw me out because I said all packages and it did not have neough CDs. Now I can boot from CD but not get into the program. No GUI, no way to install. I've gone out and back to Mandrake and reformatted my partition so I could start over. Looked at JetBlackz install tips and everything else. None of them seem to take me where my computer wants to go. Before I go back in and try again, any advice? Am I doing something glaringly wrong? Or does it have a sign on the distro that says no teachers????

JuliaYou do only need 2 CD´s . . it will only ask you for CD2 to install Gnome, KDE and a few other WM´s . . . . ( that is why you don´t get a GUI ) . . . . . Don´t see why you should have any problems . . Post me the dialogs as you go . . . B) Bruno

If you hesitate during install about the dialogs, give us a shout . . . it´s still fairly fresh in my memory . . . ;)B) Bruno

It appears to be installing correctly. Instead of telling it to install all, I went package by package and installed the defaults. I can go back later if I missed something. Got a weird screen initially that I don't know if it was from shutdown or startup wanting the root password for Mandrake 9.2. Hopefully I did not trash anything. I can always go back to 9.1 for Mandrake if necessary.

Got a weird screen initially that I don't know if it was from shutdown or startup wanting the root password for Mandrake 9.2.
I think your system is haunted again Julia . . . . can´t understand this . . . B) Bruno

All I know is that right now it is almost finished installing. It is doing the KDE packages now and has done the Gnome packages as well as the basics. The test will be when I reboot. I think reformatting the partition probably cleared whatever the problem was before. I am afraid to look to see what the hang was before I went into the install routine. It surprised me so much I took the disk out to make sure I had not put a Mandrake 9.2 boot disk in instead of the Slack 9.1 disk.

Well we will see where this ends . . . hopefully you get either Slack or Drake working . . . or even better both :DCrossing my fingers !B) Bruno

Well I am in Slackware. Everything seems to be fine. Internet up with no problems. However, where is my Evolution? I guess I will have to go to Red Carpet and see if I can get it there or do the line from the prompt. I guess I should also go add a user and get out of root fast!

My fix when I reformatted a partition wiped out my 9.2 /var. Oops. Anyway, all is repaired and working now. I am confident of my Slack 9.1 and my Mandrake 9.2RC1. Not sure about the Drake 9.1. I have a feeling it is toast at this point. I need to keep better records of what is where. ;)

Well done Julia ! Mandrake and Slack working again :), now we only need to find a few more distro´s to fill that 160 GB of HD space you have ;) :lol: You might want to print out your partitions in big characters and pin it on the wall right above the monitor :lol: ;) ;) Bruno

Hee hee...I thought I was the only one that had"My Hd Partitions poster's" I can't tell you how many times I messed up and installed on a already in use partition ;) ...(ummm even with the posters)

are you sure you made no typo changing the XF86Con
I must have. I just changed the file again, and everything is working. Sorry for the confusion.