Installfest - March 2011

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, they're downloaded, anyway. I'll get around to installing them over the next couple weeks. :clap2:

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... 10.04LTS was my last 'Buntu for a while, I'm afraid. I'd prefer to stick with the mothership (Debian). B)

Nah... 10.04LTS was my last 'Buntu for a while, I'm afraid. I'd prefer to stick with the mothership (Debian). :hysterical:
Ah, music to my ears!Now if we can only get Jeff and crew to build us a nice Debian-Enlightenment LiveCD life would be complete. Edited by amenditman

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the hardware improvements didn't quite work out as planned. --> http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=43875So, I decided to start the installfest this evening. It wasn't a good time. It was stormy and nasty all day here. Just after dinner, while reaching to open one of the windows in this room, I accidentally knocked a speaker against one of the panes. It cracked, of course. I had to use some clear packing tape to fix it temporarily. Then when I went into the kitchen to wash up my dinner dishes, I realized that I was standing in a puddle of water in front of my kitchen counter top. Yup. The drain on the sink chose that moment to pop loose (PVC) and start pouring into the cabinets below the sink. OK, so I fixed that and cleaned up the mess.The first distro I went to install was CentOS. I downloaded and burned the CD earlier this afternoon. It wouldn't boot... kernel panic and all this other rot. Alrighty, moving on... I booted the Debian installer CD that I downloaded and burned this afternoon. It went along fine till I got to the part where it was downloading packages from the Internet (Oregon State http server). It started just fine, then stopped. I waited about 10 minutes, but it was just spinning its wheels.That's it. I'm done with that for today. Too many negative vibes today. I'll try this another day.Later...

Must have been one of those days. I had my main hard drive fail today. Luckily most of it is backed up. The thing I'm least looking forward to is reinstalling Windows, which I need for my RC model flight simulator so I can practice at home. Didn't have an image of it though.I was thinking it was about time to rearrange my Linux installs and particularly set up a new studio distro.I will certainly be heading down to the local computer shop to buy a nice SSD tomorrow! :hysterical: Silver lining. B) ;)

Definitely a nice silver lining on that one, sunrat! Sorry for the troubles, but it'll be fun to play with the new toy. Getting an SSD is almost as good as getting broadband.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, posting this with Epiphany browser from a virgin Debian Squeeze intallation. I haven't made any customizations at all. This is a Debian out-of-the-box experience. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Batting .500 tonight. I installed Foresight after Debian. All seemed to go well, but Foresight will not boot. It hangs after detecting my DVD/CD players. Must reset to gain control of the machine again. :thumbsup: Oh well, I'll troubleshoot it some more later this weekend, maybe. I still need to install CentOS, too.So many distros; so little time. B)

Spent most of the afternoon vacuuming out the computer and installing SSD (OCZ Vertex2 120GB) and installing 2 operating systems. 45mins to install Windows, 4.15 to install aptosid.Man this SSD is fast - hardly any wait to load Iceweasel or Icedove. Wheeeeeeee! B) :thumbsup:

Oh I've done that. Frank would be proud of me - I finally figured out Clonezilla!I was right about Clonezilla, you know. The answers were perfectly obvious. It's just that, at the time, I was so new to Linux that I had no idea what those finely detailed instructions were talking about. It was like losing the English directions and trying to get along with the Kanji ones... :yes:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the batting average is getting worse and worse with this latest installfest. I tried to install CentOS again (a netinstall this time) over Foresight, which errored while booting (bad install?). Anyway, CentOS also errors while booting. I'm beginning to wonder if this drive is jinxed. Although, Win XP and Debian went on it just fine. I think tomorrow I'm going to try...*GASP*Sabayon. They have a new x86_64 .iso with Xfce. :yes:scaredy-cat_gentoo.png

securitybreach
Good luck Eric! Who knows ... could be a really good install ... or not... :yes: ;)
The install will be fine. You will get aggravated waiting hours to install an update. I used it years ago and thought it was nice until I tried to apply the updates, 5 hours later and I was still waiting so I gave up on Gentoo/Sabayon.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I just can't win here. I've tried to install two versions of Centos and two versions of Foresight on this same two partitions on my replacement hard drive. All of them kernel panic when I try to boot them. I'm beginning to thing there's something wrong with this partition. :thumbsup: