Unable to change Home page in IE8 using WIN7 Pro 64bit

mac

Disregard this question. I found it under Group Policy. >_<

The "My.MSN.com" homepage that I've been using forever has been discontinued by MS. :angry2: I can go to MSN.com and sign-in to the "new" MSN customized page - which I don't care for. However, I decided to go with the flow and change to the new one. I clicked on the "Make MSN my homepage" choice at the top of the page, but, then clicked on the Home button icon in IE8 and it still goes to the old (blank) My.MSN.com page. I opened Internet options to change the homepage, but the box for typing in URL's doesn't work, nor do any of the three buttons below the entry box work. I have WinPatrol running and opened the program, but I don't see any selection on any of the tabs that block/unblock changing the homepage in IE. I've gone into Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy to see if any policies applied to IE, but didn't see anything that obviously controlled IE.

Even though I am the Administrator user on this PC, I opened a new IE window using the right-click "Run as Administrator" and opened Internet options, but it is the same as before - won't allow a URL to be typed in, nor do any of the buttons work.

Other than WinPatrol, I have MSE and Windows Firewall running all the time and that's all. I also have MalwareBytes, but only run on demand, and SpywareBlaster.

What am I overlooking here?

Help!

Edited by mac

Hi, Mac.

Did you install the custom MSN release of IE8? http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx If so, you need to start by removing IE8, instructions at How do I remove Internet Explorer 8 from Windows as a troubleshooting step?

Note When you remove Internet Explorer, your previous version of Internet Explorer is restored together with your previous customizations (such as add-ins, Favorites, and your home page stting). However, Internet Explorer 8 is the earliest version of the program that is included in Windows 7. Therefore, if you remove Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7, you will have to install a third-party web browser to be able to connect to the Internet.

How to solve Internet Explorer 8 installation problems may be needed.

After reinstalling IE8, I strongly advise you to upgrade to IE9. Although an old article, note the Internet Explorer 9, Privacy and Security Enhancements.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, great info Corrine! Have had to do that for a client at least once already.

IE8 is old in the tooth now ... need IE9 for better security as noted by the article Corrine posted.