Setting up SSD

sunrat

Archwiki also has a nice wiki page for SSDs as well: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

Great guide :thumbsup: :D

There is much similar info there. However some info differs and it may pay to read both guides. :sweatingbullets:

Particularly I noticed (in the disputed section) in Arch wiki, advice to use AHCI mode rather than IDE. I had already installed Win7 in IDE mode and it wouldn't boot after changing to AHCI. I changed back to IDE rather than reinstall Windows, so far no noticeable ill effects. Also it mentions discard is disabled in Arch due to strangeness with a particular kernel and OCZ Vertex2, which is exactly the SSD I have. IIRC, discard works fine on my system even in IDE mode (I think I tested but maybe not - I'll get back to y'all :whistling: )

Nice.

I would heartily recommend using GPT rather than MBR if your computer's firmware also supports UEFI. Pretty much every motherboard that can support a Sandy Bridge Intel CPU is UEFI. You can switch between UEFI and BIOS on these boards. Some, like those from ASUS will automatically switch between modes depending on whether it sees MBR or GPT on the bootable media.

Another great SSD guide, Thanks!

Now let me pose a problem for you gnurus.

Windows 7 detects and adjusts disc geometry to align the filesystem to the erase block size. Really easy.

We have multiple sources of easy to follow recipes to do it manually for Linux installs. Great!

What the heck do you do if you are going to dual boot? (I have a few ideas, but don't 'know' if they are correct).

Windows 7 for screwal work where I am required to use Microsoft Visio and Office.

Linux for everything else.

Thanks

Bob