NEW UPDATES MDK 9.1 !!

Bruno

THIS THREAD WILL RE-APPEAR EACH TIME THERE WILL BE NEW UPDATESNew updates for Mandrake 9.1 are from May 16 on the mirrors total 15 MB :cdrecordcdrecord cdda2wavdrakxtoolsdrakxtools newtharddrakeharddrake uimkisofsxinetdB) BrunoHow to get the updates:In the Mandrake Control Center you go to Software management, then Mandrake Update ( first icon second line ). It will present you a list of update-mirrors first, pick a mirror and it will get the update-list from the ftp-site, this will take a while. When finished it will present you the packages. You will need all those packages because the list is adapted to your configuration. Select a few packages at a time and press OK, it will then download the packages and install them. Then you select the next few etc. tec.( *apparently the last two US mirrors are the best )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• quint

• nlinecomputers

• havnblast

Are you still runnig Mandrake as well Quint ? Can´t keep track of all your installs and what you actualy wiped of you disks !:unsure: Bruno

Are you still runnig Mandrake as well Quint ? Can´t keep track of all your installs and what you actualy wiped of you disks !:unsure: Bruno
Absolutely. :blink: Got a great deal on an 80GB WD hdd, couldn't pass it up; then decided to test as many flavors of Linux as I could, in order to decide which I liked best, in a variety of ways. Still want to try Slackware 9.0, but it's beyond me to set up at this point, and also will be ordering SUSE 8.2 or 8.3, since it appears to be a favorite. Right at this point, Mandrake is my choice, but RedHat and ELX and Knoppix (installed) are very nice, indeed. Guess most important is that I am learning a little, and sure as heck having fun. :unsure:

You´re quiet a character Quint ! As Far as Slackware 9.0 is concerned: that is not difficult at all, believe me, after all you have managed to do uptill now I´m sure you can handle Slack ! Go on give it a go !Happy you´re still on Mandrake though, for me it is and stays the favorite, I will keep you all informed about the updates regularly here in this thread, I´ll just dig it up out of the archieves and put it on top of the list again. So then you will know what time it is. Have fun Quint !B) Bruno

mrselfdestruct,At your service, mrselfdestruct ! We do our best to keep you up to date ! :DB) Bruno

AGAIN NEW UPDATES ! May 21 2003the next packages are waiting for you at your local update-source:cdrecord 2.0-22cdrecord-cdda2wav 2.0-22mkisofs 2.0-22Total 2 MBI do know that we did these packages last week too, but these seem to be NEW security updates !B) Bruno

NEW UPDATES MAI 28 2003galeon-1.3.3-2.1mdkgnupg-1.2.2-1.1mdklibnspr4-1.3.1-4.1mdklibnss3-1.3.1-4.1mdklsb-1.3.6.1mdkmozilla-1.3.1-4.1mdkmozilla-mal-1.3.1-4.1mdkTotal 57 MB( I´m getting some errors with the mozilla packages, maybe wait a day or to, then it will be O.K. ):D Bruno

AGAIN NEW UPDATES ! - May 31 2003Yes, the next packages are waiting for you at your local update-source:cups-1.1.19-1.1mdkcups-common-1.1.19-1.1mdklibcubs-1.1.19-1.1mdkGet updated !:unsure: Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

NEW UPDATES JUNE 10 2003Cups-drivers-1.1-104.2mdkfoomatic-db-3.0-0.beta2.20030403.2.2mdkfoomatic-db-engine-3.0-0.beta2.20030403.2.2mdkfoomatic-filters-3.0-0.beta2.20030403.2.2mdkghostscript-7.05-53.2mdkghostscript-module-X-7.05-53.2mdkgimpprint- 4.2.5-18.2mdklibgimpprint1-4.2.5-18.2mdklibijs0-0.34-44.2mdkprinter-filters-1.0-104.2mdkprinter-testpages-1.0-104.2mdkprinter-utils-1.0-104.2mdkTotal 73 MBGet updated ( some mirrors might have them only from tomorrow, most of them have them today ):ph34r: Bruno

You´re very welcome Riff, if you run Mandrake, this thread will keep you informed ! :):) Bruno

nlinecomputers

MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2003:066 : kernelPackage name kernelDate June 11th, 2003Advisory ID MDKSA-2003:066Affected versions 9.1Synopsis Updated kernel packages fix multiple vulnerabilities Problem DescriptionMultiple vulnerabilities were discovered and fixed in the Linux kernel.* CAN-2003-0001: Multiple ethernet network card drivers do not pad frames with null bytes which allows remote attackers to obtain information from previous packets or kernel memory by using special malformed packets.* CAN-2003-0244: The route cache implementation in the 2.4 kernel and the Netfilter IP conntrack module allows remote attackers to cause a Denial of Service (DoS) via CPU consumption due to packets with forged source addresses that cause a large number of hash table collisions related to the PREROUTING chain.* CAN-2003-0246: The ioperm implementation in 2.4.20 and earlier kernels does not properly restrict privileges, which allows local users to gain read or write access to certain I/O ports.* CAN-2003-0247: A vulnerability in the TTY layer of the 2.4 kernel allows attackers to cause a kernel oops resulting in a DoS.* CAN-2003-0248: The mxcsr code in the 2.4 kernel allows attackers to modify CPU state registers via a malformed address.As well, a number of bug fixes were made in the 9.1 kernel including:* Support for more machines that did not work with APIC * Audigy2 support * New/updated modules: prims25, adiusbadsl, thinkpad, ieee1394, orinoco, via-rhine, * Fixed SiS IOAPIC * IRQ balancing has been fixed for SMP * Updates to ext3 * The previous ptrace fix has been redone to work betterMandrakeSoft encourages all users to upgrade to these new kernels. Updated kernels will be available shortly for other supported platforms and architectures. Full information to be found at this link:http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/advisorie...=MDKSA-2003:066

Natan,It is not on all the mirrors yet, people might have to wait a few days if their mirror is not uploaded yet.Thanks for the info.More info about kernel upgrades: Please read ThisWARNING !! NOTE: People with a Nvidia kernel should wait for the right nvidia packages, or will lose their 3D support ! See Mike180´s Thread and This one from Havnblast !!!

I also don't update the Kernel.... Many things are dependent on the Kernel version. Every six months there will be a new release anyway, so why bother.....
;) Bruno

nlinecomputers
It is not on all the mirrors yet, people might have to wait a few days if their mirror is not uploaded yet.
The list of mirrors can be found here. One can either wait till there favorite mirror is updated or select a new one.

nlinecomputers

________________________________________________________________________ Mandrake Linux Update Advisory ________________________________________________________________________Package name: qt3Advisory ID: MDKA-2003:014Date: June 12th, 2003Affected versions: 9.1________________________________________________________________________Problem Description: A bug in qt3 would cause a crash when XFree86 did not support render; this update provides a fix for that issue. As well, it provides an improvement in launch speed in qt applications. Link to the advisory can be found here.As with all advisories this may not have yet been posted to all mirrors. If your mirror was updated on June 12 or latter it will have the new RPMs.Mandrakes offical list of mirrors can be found here.

nlinecomputers

Two updates in this posting. 1. If your a gamer then the ethereal update is of interest to you. 2. Gzip is used by everybody so this one everyone should grab.First update:________________________________________________________________________ Mandrake Linux Security Update Advisory ________________________________________________________________________Package name: etherealAdvisory ID: MDKSA-2003:067Date: June 16th, 2003Affected versions: 9.1________________________________________________________________________Problem Description: Several vulnerabilities in ethereal were discovered by Timo Sirainen. Integer overflows were found in the Mount and PPP dissectors, as well as one-byte buffer overflows in the AIM, GIOP Gryphon, OSPF, PPTP, Quake, Quake2, Quake3, Rsync, SMB, SMPP, and TSP dissectors. These vulnerabilties were corrected in ethereal 0.9.12. Link to advisory on ethereal is here.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Second Update:________________________________________________________________________ Mandrake Linux Security Update Advisory ________________________________________________________________________Package name: gzipAdvisory ID: MDKSA-2003:068Date: June 16th, 2003Affected versions: 8.2, 9.0, 9.1, Corporate Server 2.1, Multi Network Firewall 8.2 ________________________________________________________________________Problem Description: A vulnerability exists in znew, a script included with gzip, that would create temporary files without taking precautions to avoid a symlink attack. Patches have been applied to make use of mktemp to generate unique filenames, and properly make use of noclobber in the script. Likewise, a fix for gzexe which had been applied previously was incomplete. It has been fixed to make full use of mktemp everywhere a temporary file is created. The znew problem was initially reported by Michal Zalewski and was again reported more recently to Debian by Paul Szabo. ________________________________________________________________________Full text of this update to be found here.Patch will only be availible on mirrors updated TODAY (16 Jun 2003)List of all official mandrake update mirrors is here.

Even the slowest updated mirrors have now: ( discussed by Nathan here above )gzip-1.2.4a-11.2mdklibqt3-3.1.1-13.1mdklibqt3-common-3.1.1-13.1mdklibqt3-devel-3.1.1-13.1mdkTotal 43 MBB) Bruno

MANDRAKE LINUX ADVISORY: BITCHX"A Denial Of Service (DoS) vulnerability was discovered inBitchX that would allow a remote attacker to crash BitchX bychanging certain channel modes..."Before you all start laughing: BitchX is a widely used IRC program that also works in text mode ! :DB) Bruno

She was real sweet: that is why I devorced her more then 15 years ago ! ;) ;) I´m having the time of my life since . .(* she´s still free, so if you´re interested . . . could pass you her phonenumber . . );) Bruno

Only one update to mention:Initscripts-7.06-12.2mdkTotal 3 MBAlso for people with reiserfs filesystem:Updated reiserfsprogs packages fix bugs and provide enhancementsB) Bruno

Only one update to mention:Initscripts-7.06-12.2mdkTotal 3 MBAlso for people with reiserfs filesystem:Updated reiserfsprogs packages fix bugs and provide enhancementsB) Bruno
Got it, thanks Bruno. ;)