How to clean out registry of deleted programs

Glenn

What is the best way to clean out the registry of un-needed or deleted programs. Is there a registry cleaning tool that removes un-needed programs from windows that have been removed previously?Should have added that I had to change ISP for mail (Earthlink) to Embarq. Earthlink is no longer my provider. But there is a lot of their programs still in my registry.Can I remove them by using the regedit and find to remove them?

Edited by Glenn

If the programs were installed with the MS install program, then go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301and download and run the MS installer cleanup utility. When you run it, you'll see a listing of every program that was installed using the MS Installer. If any item is listed that you have removed, highlight it and let the cleanup run. Note: do not select any programs that are still installed.(I've used this program to cleanup beta versions of CounterSpy when I needed to install another beta build, so I know it works).As far as registry cleaners, every one manages to cause problems for some people. What works for one person, may not work for you. If you are running XP, create a restore point before you decide to clean.I've used the slim version of CCleaner on 4 computers for some time with no problems - but some people have had problems with it. It's free and the slim version (English only, no extras) can be grabbed here http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspxI see a note on the main page that AVG is falsely identifying this latest build as a virus and they are working with AVG to correct the problem.I'm not running this build from April 17th. You may want to hold off until a new build comes out.

Guitar Man

1) From what I read, the MSI Cleanup Utility is only for removing Microsoft and Windows applications such as Office Suites and parts of them (to the exception of Office 2K7), if normal removal methods have already been taken, and you want to remove the registry entries. It will not remove or list 3rd party application registry entries. Only a 3rd party registry cleaner will provide this (jv16, RegSeeker).2) From my present and previous dealings with 3rd party reg cleaners, it's not so much on which one you use, but how you use it. Caution must always be used before selecting that "remove" button ! As Liz mentions, err on the side of caution, and create a manual restore point before using a registry cleaner the 1st time (even though it may create a backup of it's own). The one thing I like about RegSeeker's latest build, is that it automatically creates a file with the name of the search word appended to it. 3) Just prior to using RS, I had jv16 as my tool of choice. Unless you can find a free "old version", it's now shareware, and the reason for my move to RS. And it's far from being a user-friendly app. It's probably the most powerful (and thus, most dangerous one to use potentially) if you don't screen your entries before pulling the "trigger". Again, that restore point... :wacko: 4) CCleaner is another great tool, but geared more toward removing temp files than being a dedicated reg cleaner. It does have an "Issues" button. But much of what it will pick up in that scan are changes that were intentionally done by an advanced user, and "fixing" those blindly will result in either having to do the custom changes all over again, or in the worst case, rendering shortcuts unusable. I prefer to stay away from that button in CC, and use the "Clean the registry" button in RegSeeker, and sticking with the green entries for removal. Again, have a backup plan...I've also used ToniArts' Easy Cleaner in the past. But it's been so long, I can't make any comments because the build may have changed several times since.With any of these tools, it's always a case of YMMV... :hmm:

Guitar Man, your information about item #1 is not correct.The MSI cleanup Utility will cleanup any program that uses the microsoft/windows installer. As I stated, I was told to use it in the beta forum for CounterSpy and I did use it several times successfully to remove previous builds (after doing a normal add/remove) of CounterSpy to remove some entries remaining in the registry.source: http://beta.sunbelt-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=3736scroll to item #4More programs are using the windows installer than just microsoft products.

Guitar Man

Liz, if that's the case, I stand corrected. I was only going on what I read in that MSKB article you link to. I have now registered and read the info in that CSC thread. I will now download this utility and see for myself. Thanks for clearing that up.

redmaledeer

If you go with jv16, the last free and non-time-limited version is obtainable from Pricelessware at http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL20...EMUTILITIES.php RegCleaner, like jv16, is also by Jouni Vuorio. I believe it may have been the registry cleaning part of jv16, tho I am not sure of the exact relationship. The last free version is also available from the above website. (Jouni Vuorio's RegCleaner should not be confused with the Tweak Now! program of the same name.) For beginners especially there is an argument that one shouldn't clean the registry at all. If you make a mis-step you may have a disaster. You may have to reload the operating system and everything else from scratch. By contrast, a cleaner registry might make your computer more efficient, but it would not make or break your use of the computer. Authorities differ on how much a cleaner registry improves efficiency. Opinions range from great enthusiasm to a belief that the gains are marginal. In any event, they are not comparable with the trouble that would come from hosing your computer.

Hello,Generally speaking, if a program does not uninstall correctly (leaves application files which run on startup, entires in the Add and Remove Programs Control Panel applet, and so forth), you can try downloading a new copy of its installer, even if it is only a trial version or a newer version than the one installed, and use that to re-install the application. This should recreate all the files and settings need to uninstall the program. Then, go ahead and uninstall it once more and it should properly remove itself from the computer.If this does not properly remove itself after a reinstallation, try contacting the company's technical support department and ask them for assistance in manually removing the software.One of the problems with "ripping a program out by its roots" using third-party tools is that this can leave unnoticed components behind. They may still run in the background as services or other types of processes and perform whatever tasks they are meant to, but the components which interface with them for configuration and diagnostics and feedback are gone. Such "orphaned programs" can cause all sorts of strange and unpredictable behavior, such as when an anti-virus program's interface is removed but its on-access disk scanning component continues to run, and then another anti-virus program on an on-access disk scanning component is installed on top of it.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

What is the best way to clean out the registry of un-needed or deleted programs. Is there a registry cleaning tool that removes un-needed programs from windows that have been removed previously?Should have added that I had to change ISP for mail (Earthlink) to Embarq. Earthlink is no longer my provider. But there is a lot of their programs still in my registry.Can I remove them by using the regedit and find to remove them?
Unless you're having specific problems related to your ISP or Earthlink, you shouldn't worry about having those dead entries. People constantly fuss over registry cleaners not knowing how they work or even what they're cleaning up, yet they've got this idea somehow it's important. The only time I ever go hunting in the registry is when there's a specific problem I need to solve.I have also used Vtoy registry cleaner (and similar utilities) in the past and cannot remember the last time I used it. I often install & uninstall applications as I try free software off the internet. In the many years I've been doing this, I can recall only 2 specific occasions where I had to dig into the registry to clean up remnants from the previous isntallation. One was Apple's iTunes & the other was Quintessential CD player from my W2K days.