Anyone Planning a New Build This Year?

raymac46

Just curious. Although I like speccing out new hardware and building a desktop PC I don't think I will be doing much this coming year. My reasons:

• I'm not much of a gamer. I play some train sims but the ones I like run on DX9 and 10. Not exactly bleeding edge. I find that a GTX 950 handles them quite well.
  • Most of what I do involves, music, video streams, surfing the Web, some light Office stuff. The grandkids play some Web based video games in Chrome. Nothing too rigorous that demands the latest hardware.
  • My machines run copies of the latest O/S - Windows 10 on an Intel machine, Linux Mint 18 on my AMD desktop. I have an even older desktop (AMD Athlon 64 X2) that is slow to boot but does fine with LM 18 playing Spotify in my work room.
  • I have installed SSDs on the two better desktops - this in itself gave me a noticeable increase in response and snappiness. I might be missing out on the PCI based SSD, USB 3.1, DDR4 but everything seems fast and smooth to me.
  • Both desktops feature high quality motherboards and decent enough quad core CPUs - they were not high end or bleeding edge when I got them, but they have aged well. They should keep on going barring any catastrophic failure. If that happens I have enough redundancy here to stay on the Internet.
  • Both desktops have decent peripherals so there is no incentive to upgrade monitors and speakers and at the same time build a new box to go with them.
  • Linux, Linux, Linux. A great O/S that keeps even a 10 year old Athlon dual core chugging along. No point in upgrading to the latest hardware and then running into issues.

Maybe next year. But I won't hold my breath.

Well, not new, but a new GPU and a new PSU. The PSU is from 2007, and though still performing well, I'll box it up and keep it as a spare. Same for the GPU, works well, but at 4 years old, I'm going to replace it with a newer board and keep it as a spare.

Old PSU: PCP&C 750W PSU

Old GPU: EVGA GTX650 Ti Boost w/2GB GDDR5 Ram PCIE 3.0

New PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750FX 750W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

New GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

Most of my games are older - newest was from 2008 - but my son gave me COD WWII for Christmas, and I want to make sure I can play it with everything maxxed out.

Happy New Year to all!!!

I had a GTX 650 Ti Boost which I replaced with my GTX 950. The GTX 650 is now in my oldest desktop which mostly plays music. It replaced an even older GT 440.

I had to replace a Cooler Master 500 watt PS in my main desktop earlier this year because it got noisy and I wasn't sure how long it would last. I replaced it with an EVGA 600 watt.

My second desktop (Linux) has a Corsair 430 watt PS and an AMD R7 360 video card. Not particularly powerful but fine for what I need.

One of the best upgrades this year has been to my eyes - cataract surgery. It has made two already excellent monitors look even better. :w00tx100:

Edited by raymac46

I am planning to build a shed/workshop out in the back garden this year..... does that count :Laughing:

Only if you include a wifi hotspot out there. :harhar:

• Like 1

Hello,

Last year, I was having problems with my then-current system—which I had not planned to upgrade until this year—and after failing to identify the root cause, I ended up doing an out-of-band (for me) system upgrade, which I wrote about here on the motherboard manufacturer's support forum.

Because of this, I had not planned on replacing it this year, but with the current issues surrounding processor architecture security vulnerabilities I may end up performing another OOB upgrade depending upon how things turn out. Even if I don't perform a wholesale upgrade like I did last year, I still may perform some updates such as more RAM, a new Wi-Fi adapter and a larger HDD, if needed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

I am planning to build a shed/workshop out in the back garden this year..... does that count :Laughing:

Only if you include a wifi hotspot out there. :harhar:

I am intending to house a spare backup pc out in the shed so I will have some sort of internet connection out there. :P

• Like 1