Net Applet will not automatically appear in tray on startup

BillD

All of a sudden the icon created with "net_applet --force", despite the fact that I have checked "launch on startup" under "settings", has stopped appearing after bootup . . . I have to go thru the alt-F2 deal and enter it in the window to get it to launch. Log out with it there by clock, boot backup and it is gone . . . How can I fix this in PCLos?Thank you,Bill

Edited by BillD

Hi BillHow come the same problem is coming back over and over again ?? Wonder what is happening to your install :'(I think the best you can do is go in the PCC and remove the connection and reconfigure a new connection again making sure that it starts at boot.:thumbsup: Bruno

Well, Bruno, the connection does start at boot; no problems there, and I can disconnect the phone line (ADSL), reconnect, and when the modem connects (as indicated by the modem lights), I have access again to the Internet. Basically, the connection works fine; but I like having the icon there as a handy means of disconnecting when I am doing stuff on the desktop, and for some weird reason, the icon will not stay put now; it is there by the clock now, but the next time I boot the computer, it will be gone which does not matter that much unless I want to disconnect, in which case, I have to do the alt-F2 thing to get the icon back.The last time I had problems with it, it was because somehow the applet icon settings "always launch at startup" got unchecked; I checked that and it went for several months just fine, but now the icon simply will not stay put when I reboot or whenever I start the computer :thumbsup: Thanks,BillEdit: However, I tried redoing the connection and the same thing still happens!

Edited by BillD

Hi BillWe wi habve to make a little script . . . . please do ( as user)

$ kwrite /home/bill/.kde/Autostart/applet

This will open the kwrite editor . . . now paste the next few lines:

#!/bin/bashnet_applet#End script
Next save the file and close the editor . . . . . then give this command:
# chmod 755 /home/bill/.kde/Autostart/applet

Next reboot and see if the net_applet comes upB) Bruno