Opengl error !

abarbarian

Using my onboard graphics I could play Portal through Steam on my Makulu set up (32 bit).

I added a Radeon HD 4850 gpu to the set up. Videos and stuff works ok. Steam on the other hand throws up this error,

screenshot856595c898b253de47e5cf1c641b270c.png

I have tried reinstalling the gpu drivers,

screenshot-1458.png

This has not helped. I am unfamiliar with the Debian,Mint,Makulu set up so could do with some help folks.

:'(

Edited by abarbarian

The Knowledge Base article referenced is one I have followed before.

OpenGL allows for different methods of handling sending rendering commands. Direct rendering is often faster and more desirable, so the Linux Steam client checks to see which mode OpenGL is running in when it starts. If it sees that OpenGL is running indirectly it will display a warning to let you know that you may want to change your configuration to allow it to run directly and thus usually with better performance. There are a few reasons why OpenGL may not be able to use direct rendering:

1. If you are running over a remote connection. In this case it is required to use indirect rendering.

2. If your OpenGL binaries or driver are misconfigured, for example if your 32-bit and 64-bit OpenGL libraries are incorrectly set up. This can happen if you have switched between compatibility and native OpenGL libraries, or if an installation or driver update failed or applied itself improperly.
    • In order to test whether this is an issue on your system you'll need to open a terminal window and locate the 32-bit version of glxinfo. When you run glxinfo the first few lines will say whether direct rendering is supported or not. glxinfo may also print warnings which might relate to the problem, such as a driver version mismatch. As Steam is a 32-bit binary it is important to make sure you're running the 32-bit glxinfo when you do this to match how Steam uses OpenGL. If you do not have a 32-bit glxinfo you can install the mesa-utils:i386 package.

• Another way to gather useful diagnostic info is to find glxinfo and see what it will load. You can use 'which glxinfo' to find your glxinfo binary and then 'ldd glxinfo' to determine which OpenGL libraries will be loaded for it (this is also a way to distinguish a 32-bit glxinfo from a 64-bit one). Check the dependency list to see what libGL.so and driver binaries are being used and this may show mismatches or unexpected dependencies which could shed light on why OpenGL is not running in direct rendering mode.

• Finally, setting the environment variable LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose can help diagnose OpenGL issues, so that output may give some clues.

[*]On some systems your user must be part of the 'video' group. If there is a video group and you are not a member try joining the group, logging out and logging back in and see if that helps.

Uninstalling and reinstalling your video driver is one way to try and get a fresh configuration and may correct problems such as version mismatches between kernel and user components.

The section I bolded has helped to diagnose the problem for me in the past.

Edited by amenditman

Ta.

I found that page and tried "glxinfo" which gives me too much info in the terminal so I can not see the fist few lines.

I also ran "which glxinfo" and "which glxinfo ldd glxinfo" which gives me this,

@makulu:~$ which glxinfo

/usr/bin/glxinfo

@makulu:~$ which glxinfo ldd glxinfo

/usr/bin/glxinfo

/usr/bin/ldd

/usr/bin/glxinfo

So I am still stuck. I do not understand why the onboard worked but the 4850 does not as they are probably using the same libraries. :'(

Makulu is only a 32 bit os.

Edited by abarbarian

Guest LilBambi

Maybe try | less after the command so you can see all lines and move backwards and forward through the results.

glxinfo | less

http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_less.htm

q quits when done

Page up/down to scroll through

Home/End to to top/bottom of document

That's all I have needed so far but there are lots of commands/arguments.

Anything here of help?

http://steamcommunit...51812908299373/

Basically they recommend checking the BIOS to make sure the onboard stuff is totally disabled.

Excellent suggestion. Take away any source of confusion.

I do this with my onboard audio, that way I only have to force the system to choose between my Bose sound system (USB) and the HDMI audio which is connected to nothing.

Maybe try | less after the command so you can see all lines and move backwards and forward through the results.

glxinfo | less

http://linux.about.c...lcmdl1_less.htm

q quits when done

Page up/down to scroll through

Home/End to to top/bottom of document

That's all I have needed so far but there are lots of commands/arguments.

That hit the spot.

name of display: :0.0

display: :0 screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

server glx vendor string: SGI

server glx version string: 1.4

server glx extensions:

GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,

GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_multisample,

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,

GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,

GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer,

GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,

GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_swap_control

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770

OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.2.5

OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30

OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)

OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL core profile extensions:

GL_AMD_conservative_depth, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend,

GL_AMD_shader_stencil_export, GL_AMD_shader_trinary_minmax,

GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3, GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5,

GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, GL_ARB_base_instance,

GL_ARB_blend_func_extended, GL_ARB_buffer_storage,

GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, GL_ARB_copy_buffer,

GL_ARB_debug_output, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_clamp,

No clue what it all means but it looks pretty impressive. :blissysmile:

Anything here of help?

http://steamcommunit...51812908299373/

Basically they recommend checking the BIOS to make sure the onboard stuff is totally disabled.

Now that is one heck of a good suggestion. It is so long since I have had to do any fiddling that I seem to have regressed to a beginner state of skill level.

I'll find out if it does the trick when I power up in the morning/afternoon. :fish: