Fresh Win 7 install infected

lewmur

I just did a fresh install of Win 7 pro on a Dell Inspiron 1440. Installed all of the MS Updates. Opened IE ONLY to install Chrome. Visited no other sites. Used Chrome to install drivers from Dell Support. Visited no other sites. Installed Chicalogic's PC Sheild (based on Malwarebuytes) from a USB stick and updated its database. Scan found 1 trojan and 33 PUPs.

Where did they come from?

Is your install media factory original and non-writable?

Installed Chrome from where on the Internet? They might be unknowingly serving a few extras.

When was the last time that USB had a thorough scan?

All possible sources of the malware you found.

The old rule still applies, "never connect an unprotected system to an outside network."

Is your install media factory original and non-writable?

Installed Chrome from where on the Internet? They might be unknowingly serving a few extras.

When was the last time that USB had a thorough scan?

All possible sources of the malware you found.

The old rule still applies, "never connect an unprotected system to an outside network."

The Win iso was d/l'd from MS's TechNet and Chrome installed from its site and not a third party site. Hmmm!! Come to think of it, I haven't checked that USB stick in a while.

Hello,

Are you certain it is not a false positive report?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes, I'm certain. Edited by lewmur

Opened IE ONLY to install Chrome. Visited no other sites. Used Chrome to install drivers from Dell Support.

You might want to reconsider your opinion of IE, at least based on this report, The programs with the most security vulnerabilities in 2014 were not the ones you think, bold added:

Google Chrome headed the list with 504 vulnerabilities, followed by Oracle Solaris (483), Gentoo Linux (350) and Microsoft's Internet Explorer (289). Apple's Mac OS X placed 13th with 147 vulnerabilities, with Microsoft's Windows 8 in 20th place (105).

That aside, have you determined it was somehing on the USB stick?

• Like 1

Opened IE ONLY to install Chrome. Visited no other sites. Used Chrome to install drivers from Dell Support.

You might want to reconsider your opinion of IE, at least based on this report, The programs with the most security vulnerabilities in 2014 were not the ones you think, bold added:

Google Chrome headed the list with 504 vulnerabilities, followed by Oracle Solaris (483), Gentoo Linux (350) and Microsoft's Internet Explorer (289). Apple's Mac OS X placed 13th with 147 vulnerabilities, with Microsoft's Windows 8 in 20th place (105).

That aside, have you determined it was somehing on the USB stick?

All browsers in Windows are security risk as far as I'm concerned. But I use Chrome in Linux and so, prefer it. I was just trying to show I hadn't visited ANY sites, in either IE or Chrome, that should have caused a problem.

And, yes, it turns out the USB stick was infected.

V.T. Eric Layton

You don't need to open a browser in an Internet-connected, unprotected Win installation for it to become totally corrupted.

And, yes, it turns out the USB stick was infected.

Wow! That sucked. :(