Just wanted to say Hello

mhbell

It has been awhile since I last visited the Forum. Thought I would drop in and say Hello. I was wondering if anyone is still using SuSE. I used all of the commercial version until 10.1 I believe it was, when I gave it up for something else after a major crash. I downloaded the latest Leap 15 live KDE and it seems to run pretty good. I might give it a whirl just for something to play with. My main Distros are Mint Cinnamon and Debian with Cinnamon DE. I still play with Lubuntu and LXLE.

Mel

• Like 2

Well, my first openSUSE installation was 12.1, back in 2012, and then I kept with it up through Leap 42.2. Very nice distro, but I decided not to continue on with Leap 42.3 last summer, and now I mainly run Debian and Arch and a few based on those. And I've got a Kubuntu 18.04 installation -- very nice release, from what I've seen so far. I've been reading about Leap 15.0. Sounds good. I'm glad they brought back the live images; I'll probably download one of those and take it for a spin. I don't know if/when I'll install openSUSE again because I've found that I definitely have a preference for apt and pacman.

I started using SuSe back in the 90's with their first commercial release's. I paid $65 for each commercial version starting with 5.3 or 4 as I recall. It was my main OS until version 10.1 when I had a major crash that I could not recover from and lost a lot of important Info for my BBS. Have not used it since except to play with. I to prefer Debian and Mint as my main OS. Can't beat Apt.

:clap:

I'm pretty sure ebrke, Elizabeth, uses SUSE on a daily basis.

Looks like great minds think alike Eric!

Edited by zlim
  • Like 2

Yes, I'm still with openSUSE, have been since 2003. It runs well on my old hardware using xfce. Unfortunately, I'm still on 42.2, which is outdated, but I haven't had a chance to do the install of 42.3. I did download the program for the net install of 42.3 though. Good to hear from you Mel!

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

I Installed Suse Leap 15 on my hard drive. Was disappointed in it. I thought that maybe it would have improved by now. It is still slow and bloated. It looks real nice and has all of the eye candy, but is very very slow booting up and I have a fast computer with 16 GB of Ram and ssd disks. So off of the hard drive it comes. It also messed up my UEFI and I had to use rescatux to get into my main distro. I am going to replace it with SID Cinnamon.

Mel

:download:

Well, unfortunately, Suse has been that way for years. Even years ago yast was very slow.

Yes and after all of these years they still haven't changed. They are more Like "Gasp" Microsoft especially with their secure boot. I would change the boot to mint using Rescatux and the next boot it would bring up Suse. So I uninstalled it and redid the UEFI Boot.

Mel

Edited by mhbell
  • Like 1

securitybreach

Well, unfortunately, Suse has been that way for years. Even years ago yast was very slow.

Yes and after all of these years they still haven't changed. They are more Like "Gasp" Microsoft especially with their secure boot. I would change the boot to mint using Rescatux and the next boot it would bring up Suse. So I uninstalled it and redid the UEFI Boot.

Mel

It's unfortunate but at least you know how to"fix" it...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of Leap 42.3 VMs running in my data centre for use as jump boxes. It seems to be the only Linux distro that I was able to run the virtual console of a Dell server with iDRAC 8 management. It requires Java and Ubuntu and Debian's implementation required too many hacks. Also, VNC seems to work better on it than other distros except Leap 15 has issues in VNC that I haven't been able to fix yet.

It is still slow and bloated. It looks real nice and has all of the eye candy, but is very very slow booting up and I have a fast computer with 16 GB of Ram and ssd disks. o

OpenSuse may be a bit slow, but it's always been dependable for me. Since I use older hardware anyway, I'm not expecting blazing speed.

It is still slow and bloated. It looks real nice and has all of the eye candy, but is very very slow booting up and I have a fast computer with 16 GB of Ram and ssd disks. o

OpenSuse may be a bit slow, but it's always been dependable for me. Since I use older hardware anyway, I'm not expecting blazing speed.

I can understand that. My hardware is not the latest, but it will handle anything I care to run. I notice that Mint is starting to slow down and getting a little bloated. I also use LxLe which so far is fast. Don't know how it will be when the DE changes maybe to QT. I might give Lubuntu another look. But will stay with mint as primary for now.

I also use LxLe which so far is fast.
I've been using Xfce on Suse for years, mainly because my hardware labors with KDE or Gnome. Xfce is fine for me anyway--I no longer need bells and whistles.

V.T. Eric Layton

I use "The Little Mouse That Roared" (Xfce) mostly because I can't stand KDE after v3.5 and Gnome is problematic to install in Slackware.

Btsfrh4.png

I also use LxLe which so far is fast.
I've been using Xfce on Suse for years, mainly because my hardware labors with KDE or Gnome. Xfce is fine for me anyway--I no longer need bells and whistles.

I use "The Little Mouse That Roared" (Xfce) mostly because I can't stand KDE after v3.5 and Gnome is problematic to install in Slackware.

Btsfrh4.png

Talking about Xfce,

It is not that Modicia steps over the bleeding edge of innovation. It is a seemingly standard desktop Linux distribution based on Xubuntu. It comes in one desktop flavor, Xfce -- but with a twist.

:breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

Spiffy. I'll stick with generic Xfce, though. I've gotten to old and lazy to learn new things.

• Like 1

Spiffy. I'll stick with generic Xfce, though. I've gotten to old and lazy to learn new things.

I'm 63 and like to learn something every day. It's a good way of slowing the brain from turning to mush.

I wish I could find a similarly effective way to stop the body from turning to mush though! Life hurts. :)

• Like 3

Hedon James

Modicia looks interesting Barbarian! Never heard of it, so thanks for that link!

I've got nothing against XFCE, but it just never seems to catch my interest. Every reason that I hear to use XFCE is something that another desktop seems to do better, so I end up checking out the other. For instance:

• XFCE is lightweight. But LXDE is even lighter, and modular, so I was drawn to LXDE.
  • XFCE Thunar can be customized with "custom actions." So can PCManFM....see lightweight.
  • XFCE has a built-in compositor. So does Mate(?), and LXDE with compton is still lighter.
  • XFCE uses the familiar Gnome2 paradigm. This was a good reason until Ubuntu Mate came out, and I was off to Mate.
  • XFCE still uses the GTK2 toolkit. So does LXDE. Furthermore, at some point, XFCE will have to migrate to GTK3 to remain viable. All other GTK2 DEs have migrated to GTK3 already, with LXDE and Budgie(?) currently migrating to Qt.

Like I said....I'm not knocking XFCE....it is obviously the desktop of choice for many folks, and I'm glad they have that choice. I've tried to get into XFCE, but always end up somewhere else. Maybe Modicia can "hook" me in, as those XFCE implementations/customizations look and function like no other XFCE DE I have seen before. Interesting!

• Like 1

I like Xfce but really dislike Thunar after being spoiled with Dolphin.

Right click in a folder to bring up folder menu? Nope, each entry takes up the full width of the window so you only get context menu for that item. Dolphin will let you highlight each item but blank space is blank space so you can right click for folder context menu.

Highlight multiple items to drag and drop? The item you're actually over when you drag gets deselected! :angry2:

I tried installing Dolphin in MX once, apparently some of the MX devs prefer it too. Was missing a few functions I'm used to in siduction. I'm sure I could work that out but I'm back on siduction as main system now anyway.

Hedon James

Right click in a folder to bring up folder menu? Nope, each entry takes up the full width of the window so you only get context menu for that item. Dolphin will let you highlight each item but blank space is blank space so you can right click for folder context menu.

Highlight multiple items to drag and drop? The item you're actually over when you drag gets deselected! :angry2:

I tried installing Dolphin in MX once, apparently some of the MX devs prefer it too. Was missing a few functions I'm used to in siduction. I'm sure I could work that out but I'm back on siduction as main system now anyway.

Siduction LXQt? Or another flavor? I've been checking out Siduction LXQt in a VM, updating & upgrading to see how it performs over time and I must say that Siduction provides the best & most homogeneous curation of an LXQt desktop that I have seen! I LOVE it! I'm tempted to make it my daily driver. Siduction devs warn NOT to use on production machines, which my daily driver is....so I won't. But I am tempted! :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm not a Dolphin fan too much. I used to love KDE's old Konqueror, but these days, Thunar is fine and dandy for me. One thing I have an advantage with using Slackware is that when I install it on a system, I always allow the KDE libs and apps to be installed also. So, even though my desktop management system is Xfce, I have access to all the KDE apps and goodies allowing me to pick and choose right off my menu button.

I'm still using openSuse, been running it as my daily driver for 7 years now. I'm in the middle of giving my machine a tune up so I can do a clean install of Leap 15. The only issue that's really irked me lately has been with the Steam Linux client. It turns out I'm a sucker for certain 4X strategy games, and sometimes either the Steam client or the games themselves don't play nice with my setup.

• Like 3

Long story, dude. Crap happens and I fell out of the habit of stopping by. Bad on me, I know. I started doing some tune ups on the rig and I'm thinking, "You know where I haven't been in a while?" And here I am!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Don't feel bad. I know all about how that "carp happens." My computer/Internet time has been whittled down to just a few minutes every other day or so these days. Meh... that's OK, though. There are many Real Life® things keeping me busy.

Anyway, hope that all is well in your world in general. Stay happy! Stay healthy! Get rich, if at all possible. ;)