Jack Tramiel ~ 1928-2012

V.T. Eric Layton

Guest LilBambi

Can't see the picture. When I go there it says it was removed from imageshack due to copyright or some such...

Here's the Commodore.ca history page.

I had no idea that he and his mother were Holocaust survivors from Auschwitz in 1939...his father died there.

When I started high school back in the fall of 1981 I took Computer Science. We were taught how to program on punch cards the first two weeks. We designed flow charts for our algorithms. Only after our teacher approved of the algorithms were we allowed onto the computers, Commodore PET 128 machines loaded with Waterloo Fortran 77 as our programming language. The next year we were the first students to use the new Commodore 64 loaded with Waterloo BASIC. I can remember writing programs to solve linear and then quadratic equations. A couple of the really smart students were writing games in assembly language, which really annoyed our teacher because these guys would hand in assignments sprinkled with PEEKS and POKES rather than structured BASIC syntax.

Funnily enough I went to the University of Waterloo after high school. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi
When I started high school back in the fall of 1981 I took Computer Science. We were taught how to program on punch cards the first two weeks. We designed flow charts for our algorithms. Only after our teacher approved of the algorithms were we allowed onto the computers, Commodore PET 128 machines loaded with Waterloo Fortran 77 as our programming language. The next year we were the first students to use the new Commodore 64 loaded with Waterloo BASIC. I can remember writing programs to solve linear and then quadratic equations. A couple of the really smart students were writing games in assembly language, which really annoyed our teacher because these guys would hand in assignments sprinkled with PEEKS and POKES rather than structured BASIC syntax.

Funnily enough I went to the University of Waterloo after high school. :thumbsup:

Awesome! It is always wonderful to see how early computer science worked and influenced developers, technicians and teachers/professors.

Thanks for sharing with us, Professor! :thumbsup: