Request for v2 Porteus ISO

zlim

I use this to remove Windows files when other programs (MoveOnBoot, WhoLockMe, Unlocker and a few others) refuse to destroy a file. I prefer v2 32 bit because it is small and easy to use for my purpose.

I did have the ISO up on my googledrive but removed it because I thought I had it archived.

I'm looking for it to share with someone and now can't find it.

All the download links for v 2 go nowhere. It has been removed from the places I've tried.

Thanks Eric. That is a good link. It means I don't have to upload it so someone can download it. I simply point them to the download site.

Actually, I did archive it. I have 8 USB cases and each holds 6 USB sticks. I simply didn't find the stick I needed on the first look around.

I found a stick just now that said googledrive files. Before I removed them from online storage, I made sure to download and archive the ones I was going to remove.

So, if anyone ever needs v2, I have the ISO. :clap:

Note: link for me to do some exploring

http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/

Edited by zlim
  • Like 3

I don't want to surf with Porteus.

It is small (fits on an old 2MB USB stick) doesn't have all the bells and whistles, is 32 bit ( it is getting hard to find distros that are 32 bit) which two of the Win 7 computers in the house are and it is fast to fire up so I can use it for an intended purpose, removing a file or files that Windows refuses to let me do.

Why use a ginourmous distro just to use the file manager to get in and remove a file or two?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Liz, if Porteus ever goes bye-bye, there's always SLAX (available in 32 or 64bit)...

https://www.slax.org/

===

I use Porteus on a thumb drive to do my rsync backups on my main system, since I can't be booted to the operating system that I'm mirroring. It's a handy little portable Linux (based on Slackware). I also use SLAX (also Slackware based) for other odds/ends needs.

I'm not questioning your choice of Porteus zlim, it is indeed a small, fast distro. I've been using it for years. And the current versions are less than 300 MB. The x86_64 XFCE DE version is only 270 MB. And when installed to a USB drive will boot on both BIOS and UEFI systems.

A x486 3.1 XFCE version is less than 200 MB but doesn't support UEFI systems.

<Off topic> Are your Windows 7 systems still updating? I haven't been able to get mine updated since December. </Off topic>

<Off topic> Are your Windows 7 systems still updating? I haven't been able to get mine updated since December. </Off topic>

W7 updating fine here, hmmmmmmmmmm well at least it updates :breakfast:

WAY Off Topic, should start this in Security or Windows. Maybe an admin can move it?

Thanks Eric. I never heard of Slax. Perhaps I'll have a look-see.

Ed_P, I manually update four Windows 7 computers monthly. I haven't done October yet. I'm waiting for all the bug reports to indicate the update hasn't botched anything more. MS did pull the update 2 days after Patch Tuesday. It is not good to be one of the first to update. I wait until the end of the month and have been known to update in the next month after the patch was released.

Install KB 3177467 which is v 2 of the Servicing Stack update.

This needs to be done first and alone. Grab the one from Oct. 2018 and not the one from Oct 2016.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=3177467

After you install that, reboot and see if updates work.

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks Eric. I never heard of Slax. Perhaps I'll have a look-see.

SLAX has been around for a lot longer than Porteus. I used to use it primarily for my portable Linux, but I started using Porteus for my backups on my main system because it comes with grsync (graphical version of rsync). Other than that difference, SLAX is an outstanding portable Linux. Try it sometime when you're bored. :)

Are your Windows 7 systems still updating? I haven't been able to get mine updated since December. topic>

WAY Off Topic, should start this in Security or Windows. Maybe an admin can move it?

Nah... too many mixed up replies, Ed. We'll just leave it where it is, buddy. No problems. :)

In the dim recesses of my mind from more than a decade ago, I think SLAX might have had a Kill Bill edition. If that's the case, then I heard of SLAX. My focus then was only Simply MEPIS and PCLinux.

Found it https://news.softped...ion-24280.shtml

note this was 2006 so it was more than a decade ago. So many distros since then.

A few hours later and I'm posting from my SLAX 9.5.0 stick. I had to move some files around to free up a 1GB stick. It is getting impossible to find a USB stick smaller than 16 GB.

I've moved files around a few times to get smaller sticks for linux live distros.

I watched a YouTube video and v 9.2 only came with 4 things. This version comes with a bit more. I also didn't have to sudo or su to apt install anything. (I did install Thunar as the video showed just to be sure I could install a package if I wanted to.) I'm not sure why but I now have 3 File Managers.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1