setting up virtual machine

crp

I want to setup a Linux box to serve as a Host for a few Virtual Machines. here is the deal:i do not want to have these VM running as the main production machines but as fall backs in case of disaster to the real machinesI want to take an "image" (terminology?) of an existing in production Win2008Server and have it be a guest on the Linux boxit would be nice if I could do the same with an NT4 Server.it would be nice if I could do the same with a RH9 (note - not Enterprise, the real 9 from last century)Is there a real life solution out there? Free would of course be nice (actually the Linux Hosting requirement is a must-have) but if I need to spend a few hundred dollars on software , that might be doable.

I want to setup a Linux box to serve as a Host for a few Virtual Machines. here is the deal:i do not want to have these VM running as the main production machines but as fall backs in case of disaster to the real machinesI want to take an "image" (terminology?) of an existing in production Win2008Server and have it be a guest on the Linux boxit would be nice if I could do the same with an NT4 Server.it would be nice if I could do the same with a RH9 (note - not Enterprise, the real 9 from last century)Is there a real life solution out there? Free would of course be nice (actually the Linux Hosting requirement is a must-have) but if I need to spend a few hundred dollars on software , that might be doable.
Paragon has an app that allows you to backup a running computer to a Vbox or VM virtual disk image. You can then run that image as a session from your Linux host. I know it works for XP, Vista and 7 but I can't swear to the server versions. Should be worth a try.

Citrix has a free edition of XenServer 6. They also have a free converter to turn a physical machine into a VM. XenServer is a bare-metal hypervisor meaning that it runs as the sole host operating system. Or you could run Xen within your Linux distro. The hard drive images created by the Citrix tool should work in Xen with a couple of tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting ready to take a test run of the VMware and then I saw today that Citrix is coming out with an SMB version of its VDI.

Can I use a VDI for the same purpose as a VM ?