Vector Linux 7.2

raymac46

Screenshot_2017-05-22_16-26-00_zpsg3gq73wa.png

One of my all time favorite distros - Vector Linux - is about to release Version 7.2 after a couple of years. This is how it looks in VirtualBox. Note the install software does not include the kernel source so you have to install that in order to build the Guest Additions. After that it looks great.

• Like 3

It's interesting how I first discovered Vector Linux. I had this old Pentium II 266 based 1998 Compaq Armada laptop. It was so old it didn't even have ACPI. Most Linux distros wouldn't even start up its cooling fan, so it quickly overheated and shut down.

But Vector Linux was old school and would start the fan even though it ran it full blast and didn't control much. The old lappie never ran better than with Vector Linux.

VL was my first intro to Xfce and they always had a very lovely theme so I liked it a lot. It is a Slackware distro so by installing it a few times I was ready to install Slack without freaking out. It has a new graphical installer now which is easier but not as useful in getting essential stuff like kernel source installed at the outset.

VL doesn't get updated very often and it doesn't seem to get much love in the Linux community. Pity.

• Like 1

abarbarian

It's interesting how I first discovered Vector Linux. I had this old Pentium II 266 based 1998 Compaq Armada laptop. It was so old it didn't even have ACPI. Most Linux distros wouldn't even start up its cooling fan, so it quickly overheated and shut down.

But Vector Linux was old school and would start the fan even though it ran it full blast and didn't control much. The old lappie never ran better than with Vector Linux.

VL was my first intro to Xfce and they always had a very lovely theme so I liked it a lot. It is a Slackware distro so by installing it a few times I was ready to install Slack without freaking out. It has a new graphical installer now which is easier but not as useful in getting essential stuff like kernel source installed at the outset.

VL doesn't get updated very often and it doesn't seem to get much love in the Linux community. Pity.

I have tried the live versions several times but have never been able to make them work. Probably my fault due to lack of knowledge or some such. They probably do not get much love as their updates are pretty sparsely spread out over the years.

Looks interesting and I will get around to trying it out.

:breakfast:

Thanks. I might have to look at this again. I remember loving Vector Linux. (Bruno probably pointed me to this; he was good at matching people and a distro that fit.)

• Like 3

Using Vector Linux 5.8 on that ancient Compaq was my first introduction to the weirdities of running Linux on 10 year old hardware. Especially 10 year old laptops.

The laptop didn't even have an Ethernet connection, It ran Windows 95 originally and connected via dial-up. It did have a PC-slot and the processor was barely fast enough to run wifi. I was careful to get a PCMCIA wifi card with an Atheros chipset. By then I was smart enough to configure wifi manually. So it worked.

I could never upgrade to VL 5.9 though as that version did not run my old laptop's fan. I am sure this had something to do with the kernel support but who knows today.