New Worm on the loose!

GolfProRM

jbredmound
I wonder if the coverage is in Friday's update from Norton?Chris
I received the security alert from Symantec today and went to the site to download (didn't want to wait for LiveUpdate).I did note that the live update had a 3/12 date, but I didn't go deep enough to find out if they did a special download or not.FYI, Norton usually does LiveUpdates on Thursdays, but since they made it a Category 3, they may have done a special today.

Guest LilBambi

At 12:25pm today, Symantec update the w32.hllw.fizzer@mm info again.I don't know what they updated exactly, but that's what it says as the date/time info was last updated.Depending on the AV software you have here are some of the other names it may go by:W32/Fizzer@MM [McAfee], Win32.Fizzer [CA], W32/Fizzer-A [sophos], WORM_FIZZER.A [Trend], Fizzer [F-Secure], Win32/Fizzer.A@mm [RAV], I-Worm.Fizzer [KAV] Very nasty!

W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm is a mass-mailing worm that sends itself to all contacts in the Windows Address Book. It contains a backdoor that uses mIRC to communicate with a remote attacker. It also contains a keylogger and attempts to spread through the KaZaA file-sharing network. The worm attempts to terminate the process of various antivirus programs if they are found to be active. Due to the number of submissions received from customers, Symantec Security Response is upgrading this threat from a Category 2 to a Category 3 threat.NOTE: Virus definitions dated 5/9/2003 were posted as LiveUpdate definitions on 5/12/2003 in response to the upgrade.