More Windows IT Service

raymac46

Honestly I don't know how some Windows users survive the frustration. I got a call from my friend today (yes, the one whose data files all got encrypted from opening an email attachment.)

It seems he couldn't launch Libre Office and when he tried to open valid email attachments they wouldn't work either.

I decided the best thing to do was update Libre Office, but then I had to download the file.

My friend has S-L-O-W DSL so it took abut 10 minutes to get the file. Then the machine kept hanging up during the install. I did a second download. Same problem.

At this point I tried a restart. The machine hung up and didn't shut down at all, so I had to do a hard shutdown with the power button. After all this and getting back to his desktop, I finally got Libre Office to install. A 5 minute job took an hour.

This is an HP small form factor desktop - probably a Pentium or i3 CPU and 4 GB of RAM. He has all kinds of stuff running like Skype and the thing runs like a dog. HDD storage of course, not SSD.

I am used to snappy performance - even with Windows 10. I don't know how my friend can use that HP crashbox.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

Chances are - he doesn't know a computer can run faster.

A few years ago I had to help a senior who used AOL desktop to get on the internet. Like you, anything that should have taken a few minutes stretched into an hour or more.

In our neighborhood we have a choice between DSL (5 Mbps) and Cable (up to 1 Gbps) service. My friend has DSL. For the same cost I get 20X the speeds. It seems to me to be a no-brainer to use cable in this situation.