You are a criminal (maybe)

jbredmound

Has anybody noticed this insanity (I really hadn't).WHAT ON EARTH? I'm telling you, we cyber citizens need an "NRA", and we need it badly. If we just sit around, the govt is going to turn the whole place into a California, where you can't go to the bathroom without breaking some law or regulation (sorry, Jeber, but it's true)."When firewalls are outlawed. only criminals will have firewalls." Does that sound familiar? "Heck, we got us a bumper sticker, Harley! To the presses!"Seriously, though, this can't go on! This is rampant paranoia that will harm all of us.Whaduyathink?

Yes, I have heard about this before and I agree we need the government to stay out of the internet. It's getting hard and hard to protect yourself in society today. It's kinda crazy I tell ya

Which thread! I would like to go back and see what was said! Somehow, this thing went over my head (and that doesn't happen that offten).

I went back and reviewed the thread...thanks. Wish I had been awake.I am just very upset that, once again, the govt see fit to take away our freedom of choice to address the behavior of criminals. The truth of the matter is, about the only people that they will catch with this legislation are the hapless innocents who didn't understand the full impact of the law, anyway.I know, ignorance of the law is no excuse, but abuse of the law is as bad as the crime.Consider the recent attempts to use RICO laws against "pro-life" advocates. Using racketeering laws against a movement like that? What were the racketeering laws established for? They were meant to keep criminals from retaining their ill-gotten gains.If the govt can twist a good body of law into that kind of use, then these new statutes could easily have us watching the likes of Zone Labs and Symantec having their offices raided and their records seized.Sounds paranoid? Yeah, it does to me, too. I just remember a bunch of cities suing gun manufacturers for damages done by people with guns. They have all been thoroughly trashed in court, but at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees.What do the legitimate makers of security-related software face in this new scenario? Will we be there to keep them from going bankrupt when the opportunists arrive?Where were we when this was happening?

Guest LilBambi

jbredmound --Don't feel badly about missing the thread from a few weeks ago. I missed Thunder's thread that eksimba mentioned too :( I just now voted in that poll today!I think that we will continue to see overlapping threads on this topic throughout the forums as folks see more and more outraged technical as well as other journalists ranting about these new Super-DMCA laws that are being instituted under our very noses.And you ask how? Lobbyists! Lobbyists! Lobbyists! BHB -- A new acronym, I just made it up: Badger, Harrass and Bribe.Our laws should not be pushed by a small segment of the population who use juicy rationalizations and one sided stories and constantly pushing them in the face of Washington.It really makes me sick. :D

Just a bit of advice to help curb overlapping threads... the search function works very well. I usually run a quick search before I post a new topic to see if anything similar has been covered before. :( Quite handy! :D

I just read, at DSL Reports forums I think, that Michigan is considering modifying the language of this law. Someone in the state government has realized the law was worded poorly and may try and fix it. Personally, I think it should go away entirely. Before millions of dollars are wasted in the courts system.

I followed Scot's link back to the last issue, and realized that I had not only read the story, but had followed the links. I just didn't have my "broad and forward thinking" option turned on (a frequent problem, but I can't seem to get it to load at startup), so I just thought that Michigan was trying to immitate California, and more power to them. Wow, I hate it when stuff goes over my head like that! :rolleyes:

Just a bit of advice to help curb overlapping threads...  the search function works very well.  I usually run a quick search before I post a new topic to see if anything similar has been covered before. :rolleyes:  Quite handy! :rolleyes:
Ohhhh... THAT search function! Where's the blushing smiley...I need the blushing smiley...