Is your email secure?

jbredmound

While we're at it, I found a site that offers to test your email security. OK, I said, let's see how me and the box are doing. (OK, the box and I).It was a very entertaining experience. My ISP runs McAffey AVS at the servers, so I tested them first. Blam, blam, blam come the alarming emails about virus-infested mail being quaranteened at the server level. Nothing got through! Next, I turned their AVS off, and ran the test again. Norton went nuts! :) Alrighty then! I disabled Norton, and put AVG to the test... B) B) :P B) got all those little attenuated e-mail viruses.Interestingly enough, my Zone Alarm free version nabbed some chaff, too. :D So if your a "show me" sort of person, check THIS out, and find out how deep the moat around your cyber-castle is.

Wow, very interesting. I tested this using a POP account accessed via webmail from my work computer. Mixed results.

Interesting.... Both McAfee or ZoneAlarm caught the stuff I expected them to, but there was still quite a bit that got through... I'll have to do some looking into my security stuff...Great Link!

Thanks for the site, J. I have utilized it on many occasions and have finally gotten through to a couple friends/family about the importance of security and keeping anti-virus up to date. Thanks again.

Little slow on this post for although I ran the test suit several days ago, just reread the thread and realized there were some differences in results. None got through. The computer I tested is behind a LinkSys EitherFast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V.2 which I do not believe contributed. Primary protection was my ZA Pro, which properly changed the extensions on the attachments so that they could not be run accidentally. My second line of defense is that I have OE setup to not display HTML and of course that obviously caught the balance which depended on HTML; however, I then removed this Option and still was protected by other OE features selected, for example I d not permit Active X or VB scripts to run. I run Panda Titanium but it apparently never had the opportunity to contribute. So I am surprised to see a report that ZA free let some through and another that said Norton picked up but not AVG.Ed