Linux Native Firewall : Introduction to IPtables

securitybreach

securitybreach
Iptables is an interface which controls linux kernel-embedded packet filter. In other words, what it does is that it controls the way your server handles the traffic that it receives. Most of the time it’s used as a firewall, but it may be used for a variety of purposes, from NATing to routing. I am going to cover several of these functionalities by giving an overview of how the iptables components work. Then, I will cover the different commands you can use to manage these tables.

Iptables is made up of 5 tables, each associated to specific functionalities of the net filter and each split into several “chains”, specifying the functionalities of each table further. The first table we aregoing to cover is the filter table. This is the “firewall” table, the one which tells the packet filter which packet comes in, which packet doesn’t. It is split into 3 chains, “INPUT”, “OUTPUT” and “FORWARD”. The input chain affects traffic coming to the server, the output chain affects traffic generated from the server and the forward chain affects traffic transiting through the server and heading elsewhere.....

http://www.gtcomm.ne...on-to-iptables/

• Like 3

Guest LilBambi

There are some really good front ends to iptables as well that make it easier to edit and get a working iptables up and running quickly.

Several are available and some noted here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewall

Managing the Firewall

iptables

Iptables is the database of firewall rules and is the actual firewall used in Linux systems. The traditional interface for configuring iptables in Linux systems is the command-line interface terminal. The other utilities in this section simplify the manipulation of the iptables database.

UFW

UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall) is a front-end for iptables and is particularly well-suited for host-based firewalls. UFW was developed specifically for Ubuntu (but is available in other distributions), and is also configured from the terminal.

Gufw is a graphical front-end to UFW, and is recommended for beginners.

UFW was introduced in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron), and is available by default in all Ubuntu installations after 8.04 LTS.

Guarddog

Guarddog is a front-end for iptables that functions in KDE-based desktops, such as Kubuntu. It has a greater deal of complexity (and flexibility, perhaps).

On my Debian-based systems, I use UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall).