Is it Suse or Ubuntu

kamicota

Thanks BrunoCommon Sense to the RESCUE eh :hmm: Yep it :P found :P my odl laptop hard drive that is now an externalSTILL ;) have to sort out Wireless BUT B) this is Windows as I still have not orchestrated what 802 wireless is to be used hence NOT even Wireless in Windows So :hmm: I guess all the Techie stuff I did tghis weekend has me a little :o righty nowCheers for YearsColin

PeachyI would Love to accept YOUR GRACIOUS offerXP is not my Forte and somehow I just KNOW there are TWO versions of Wireless as there Icons are in the task bar & can NOT get them set upI Have the Specs in a Document if ever CALM DOWN HERE ITS BEEN NON STOP FOR 3 DAYS ;) Thank B) YOU so muchColin

Peachy thanks here are the specsSatellite A60 Model name/No. Satellite A60-S159, S1591 / PSA40U-09Fxx Processor Intel® Celeron®D 335 2.80GHz Memory(MAX) 256MB/1280MB HDD 60GB Display Display 15.0 TFT 1024x768 Display controller ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7000 IGP Video RAM 64MB Sound Realtek ALC250 (on board) B PC Card controller TypeII x 1 IrDA (none) USB 3 ports Modem Integrated V.92/56K LAN Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN Last update 01-12-2005 Colin :thumbsup:

JuliaIf memory servesd me right :thumbsup: I took those specs off Toshiba WebsiteMine DOES have wireless as I have hooked up with it a few months agoI had a problem after a reinstall of XP I lost Wireless so reinstalled one and the found I had the origional and a new one and since then neither have worked So at this point I am lostCheers for YearsColin

In Windows go to your view of show all connections on the menu if there and right click to try each one. I would delete the #2 connection.

Julia Et-alsPlease excuse the delay this is becoming a wireless networking saga in itselfThere were Two drivers in there Plus other problems that escape me right nowEven uninstalled Atheros Client Utility to see if wi ndows woud set it uip bu no wayNoticed we are on Wireless Connection 4 (NOT CONNECTED) and before we played around :ermm: OOOHHHit still hurst we were on Wireless Connection 3So for now I just have just about ran out of options till I get back to Sparwood and maybe my techie friend can put this back in operation.Cheers for YearsColin a little soemtimes a lot :ermm: :ermm: ;) BUT STILL :thumbsup:

Peachy thanks here are the specsSatellite A60 Model name/No. Satellite A60-S159, S1591 / PSA40U-09Fxx model nameProcessor Intel® Celeron®D 335 2.80GHz processorMemory(MAX) 256MB/1280MB memory HDD 60GB Display Display 15.0 TFT 1024x768 hard drive Display controller ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 7000 IGP Video video RAM 64MB video ramSound Realtek ALC250 (on board) B Sound PC Card controller TypeII x 1 IrDA (none) infrared controllerUSB 3 ports USB portsModem Integrated V.92/56K dial up modem LAN Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN LanLast update 01-12-2005 Colin :thumbsup:
Well you definitely have an integrated Atheros SuperG 802.11g wireless controller.
Educate me Peachy. What in that tells you he has an integrated Atheros Super G? What am I missing?

Sorry Julia,You are right, it's not in the spec he posted, but it is on the Toshiba web site in this PDF:

Celeron D processor 335 (2.80GHz, 256KB L2 cache, 533MHz,FSB), 15†diagonalstandard TFT active-matrix LCD display at 1024x768 native resolution, 256MB (on-board),60GB (4200 RPM HDD, S-video out/Parallel port, integrated Atheros® 802.11b/g wireless-LANsupporting Atheros SuperG™ technology, DVD-CDRW, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 1-year standard limited warranty

Peachy JuliaYES it is Atheros Super G 802.11 at least that is what the sticker says on the notebook :thumbsup: :ermm: So at this point in time with all the experimenting :hmm: trying to get it to run I do NOT really know what is happeningThe light tells me it is hooked up but WINDOWS will NOT set it up because of another Program I think that is the Atheros Client Utility and I Uninstalled that last night to see if Windows would but NO WAY HOSEY :o I guess this all to help me be PATIENT to get this right in XP before Suse can do it's thingSo the TREKKING is STILL ongoing :ermm: :P :ermm: Cheers for YearsColin and ;)

What are you trying to connect to? In other words, if you have an access point, how is it configured? Open, WEP, WPA-SKA, etc. Your wifi client software must match what your wireless access point has setup. This is called infrastructure mode. If you don't have an access point but are trying to connect to wireless clients together, then you use what is called Ad-hoc mode. Use either the built-in XP client or the Atheros client. You don't need to uninstall one or the other to use the other: the software is smart enough to allow you to switch between each client. So, decide which one you want to use.

You Lost a Little :P Peachy --->>>with the first part of the replyI only uninstalled Atheros to see if XP would set it up BUT No :icon8: :icon8: Think I am at a point where anythin Wi Fi needs to be uninstalled & then let XP find on a reboot so I can start from a fresh clean baseCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Okay,Seems you don't have one. This should be simpler to setup then. An access point is a wireless device that acts as a network hub/switch in the simplest explanation. With such a device you can connect all your wireless devices with wired network. Or you can get a wireless access point that combines a firewall/router and provide Internet access to wireless clients and even wired clients because these typically will have 4 wired network ports. For example I have this Linksys wireless broadband router that connects 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices.So, how are you currently setup for Internet access? And do you have an existing network switch/hub?Without an access point then any wireless devices you have in your home can only connect to each other using wireless Ad-hoc mode. Basically you need to assign an IP address statically to it, since you won't have a DHCP server to assign it to the wireless interface. Once the wireless interface has an IP address it should be able to see other wireless interfaces that as an address on the same network.

Sorry Julia,You are right, it's not in the spec he posted, but it is on the Toshiba web site in this PDF:
Thanks! I was going crazy. I thought there was something there I was misidentifying. I was ready to put on my learning cap and find something new to figure out.

Please Please Please B) :"> :"> Excuse the delay--->>>I have been FIXING (Moi :devil: ) Fixing and re installing Xp in two family Computers and Still have NOT had the time to get to the Laptop--->>> and it seems as if oit will Be Tuesday OUR time before that is possibleMaybe by then I will be calmed down refreshed and ready to CONTINUECheers for yearsColin :hmm: :wacko: :D

I don't know. If it takes this long to install XP again you better wait a week until the blood pressure resumes to normal in order to have a nice, smooth sailing install of Linux. :devil: We would not want the comparison of distros to be too obvious. :hmm:

Julia :devil: Let me elaborate OK--->>>First the DVD Burner packed in and had to be replacedThe hard Drive Was Formatted with PCLOs Live after a THREE mistrials The first XP went on and kept all the previous fies IE--->>> Only 96MB free space OKSo it wassd off to PCLOs again and for some reason this Time the DVD install was recognisedColin my son then re partioned the Drive Leaving C as 8MB & 19.1G on D with XP cd So we installed on D but so many programs only wanted to go on C hence another dud :hmm: Thanks for small mercies Colin left and then I successfuly with PCLOs set up C witj 19.1G and the Install was sweetThen all a 19 year olds software was nextThe I had to completely free up a molasses Laptop for the other teensFinally today had to put final touches on the first computer as Colin haxd to burn DVD'sAnd NOW my laptop will NOT recignise the External USB drive it did yesterdaySo I GUESS I had better be B) :"> :"> and :P :P :P :wacko: :D :whistling: :clap: :clap: :clap: :fishing: :fishing: :fishing: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :medic: :medic: :medic: Cheers for YearsColin

Load up for me as well. I can't afford to load up since I bought all new clothes this year after dropping 50 pounds. Don't want to go back up so double up on the comfort food for me.Will await eagerly the continuing saga. :)

Dear Julia!Let me be the first one on this forum to congradulate you on loosing those 50 lbs. This is quite an accomplishment! :thumbsup: I am sure that it did required a lot of sacrifices, perseverance and will power. This explains also your change of avatar for a much slimmer, more professional looking person. Whenever in doubt, or in temptation, rest assured that we are with you, behind or beside you ( wherever you want us to be ) and that we will always, always love you!Your friend, I hope.Réjean :teehee:

Edited by réjean

Congratulations Julia! That's a lot of weight to drop in 7 or 8 months. You must have really been watching and exercising. My husband and I used to walk 3.3 miles daily but one semester he had 4 college classes scattered through out the day on Tuesdays and Thursday so we skipped walking and haven't gotten back into that great habit.I'm having major work done to my mouth. The side result is that I've lost 20 pounds (that I will never miss). If I have to keep this appliance in for a few more weeks, I'll lose a few more pounds and be back to the weight I was 35 years ago. I went to my high school class reunion last friday and had no trouble getting my high school class ring on my right ring finger.