Any distribution for cleaning up viruses (windows)

Reynaldo

I'm thinking to login on a arch based distribution, updated repositories and then download clamav and do a full scan but.. is there a distro already avaible for this? i saw bitdefender rescue, i heard its based on xubuntu.. any input is appreciated.

Guest LilBambi

Have fun!

NOTE: Trinity also allows you to empty all the caches on the system which is often where malware hides. And all of them have some command line tools so you can look for files so you can play the game in Application Data or AppData and other locations. It's called "Which one of these things doesn't belong." And you better have another computer near by to do some live research. ;)

Just in case anyone wondering, one creative try was using any distribution and downloading clamav on the live environment, atm trying with elementary OS

and gotta say... WOW this looks beautifull

Screenshot:

Screenshotfrom2014-04-25230804_zpscba2537f.png

Temmu said pretty much what I was going to say. I still use Kaspersky; has been my go to for years. I guess they just figured the software as it has been since 09 works good enough and pulls all current virus definitions.

Fran, you mentioned Hiron's Boot CD, I ALWAYS keep a current version of that on CD and on a USB thumb drive. I use it ALL the time when I am brought laptops to load and ALAS......They don't know the password to get into it, or the one they give me is wrong. I even managed to get someone out on the ship to download it and walked them through via email and A LOT of screenshots :) (Another nice thing about VM's and booting live media to get screenies ;) ) and got their laptop unlocked after 3 failed attempts rendered the laptop locked out . :thumbsup:

Just saying, seems when Windows is sick..........It's normally "LINUX" that ends up healing it..... Just sayin' :hysterical: But, Eric's Nuke it into Orbit has been pretty successful as well not to mention, sometimes MUCH less of a headache. :thumbsup:

Hello,

You may also wish to try ESET SysRescue Live, a new¹ Linux² live CD/USB. It's free to download and use (no ESET license required), and will download virus signature database updates if there's a network connection (plus save them on the USB version),

Main Page: ESET SysRescue Live

ESET Live USB/CD Creator (Windows): http://download.eset.com/special/sysrescue-creator/eset_sysrescue_live_creator_enu.exe

ESET SysRescue Live ISO: http://download.eset.com/special/sysrescue-iso/eset-sysrescue.1.0.9.0.enu.iso

ESET SysRescue Live Manual: http://download.eset.com/manuals/eset_sysrescue_userguide_enu.pdf

The program has been in development for several months now and is based on ESET's UNIX programs (ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Linux Desktops and ESET Cyber Security for Mac OS X).

In addition to being able to detect and remove malware, the ISO also contains a few goodies (MemTest86+, GParted, Chromium web browser, remote connection tools for contact ESET support, etc.)

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

¹Released today.

²Ubuntu, I think.

• Like 4

Hello,

The previous version was based on WinPE and required every user to download a copy of WAIK in order to make it (1.3GB download), so this is seen as being a lot lighter.

Plus, it has some additional utilities on it as well (which I'm hoping will update/increase in the future).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Awesome, Aryeh!

Snagging right now! Yea! At least it is less than 400MB much better than some!

Thank you ESET!!

Great post, may have to give ESET a try, thanks for the tip Aryeh. :thumbsup: Can NEVER have too many tools in the ol' tool box. Most if not ALL are based on......................Come on now..................Starts with an "L" ends with an "X" ;)

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Heck yeah! Cutie-pie Kaylee was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the word "shiny." :yes: