Spring 2014 has finally arrived here in Virginia!

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Well, we should have had them flowering earlier, but Winter hung around a bit this year....

Nice! Do you have any pictures of them?

The other pictures I have up there for Spring 2014 are two pictures of our Crabapple tree and a few of our Decorative Flowering Cherry tree.

glad you got spring, lilbambi!

i think last week was the last of the really cold for us in new orleans.

You better check this mornings NWS forecast Temmu! 45F for the low tonight and a high of 60F for Tuesday, and a low of 36F for Tuesday night. Might set a record low Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Well, we should have had them flowering earlier, but Winter hung around a bit this year....

Nice! Do you have any pictures of them?

The other pictures I have up there for Spring 2014 are two pictures of our Crabapple tree and a few of our Decorative Flowering Cherry tree.

I'll post some tommorow if I get time. I am making the most of the warm weather in the garden. Hope it ends soon as I could do with a rest. :D

Don't feel too badly, we all are getting that cold front coming...today is our last good day for a bit ...

We'll send you some of ours. I could use some rain. My sinuses are drying out

Adam

Guest LilBambi

I'll post some tommorow if I get time. I am making the most of the warm weather in the garden. Hope it ends soon as I could do with a rest. :D

Did you post these somewhere else? Or are you still planning on posting them here?

Guest LilBambi

Beautiful mac!!!

I have added some pics of Henrietta and her chicks from 2008 and some blooming trees, flowers and robins eggs from Spring 2006 to my Flickr:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/lilbambi01/

The Spring 2006 set also has some old/vintage large style azaleas light/medium pink and a deep or even hot pink when in bright sunlight.

The Spring 2006 pictures were mostly, if not all, taken by my Jim with an HP camera. Maybe Henrietta and chick pics too.

Spring, ha, not where I am. Temps of 25 F with wind chills taking them even lower tonight, along with some snow. The few flowers visible will probably be frozen and dead tomorrow morning or Thursday morning, since temps won't be much warmer tomorrow night. :'( I expect to find the chipmunk who lives under my front walk wearing a parka tomorrow morning. (He usually gets 3 peanuts each morning--I may up the count tomorrow.)

Edited by ebrke

I have added some pics of Henrietta and her chicks from 2008 and some blooming trees, flowers and robins eggs from Spring 2006 to my Flickr:

Is Henrietta still with you? I've no idea what the life span of a hen is.

Guest LilBambi

No, sadly not. She gave her life protecting her by then pullets from a predator. :(

We found out that EVERYTHING here in VA loves to eat chicken!

Snakes, possum, fox, weasel, skunk, etc, etc., even a huge Mastiff type dog ... this one was just having fun with them. He was huge though! his legs were so tall they were taller than my legs!

We had them in chicken wire fenced area, 5 ft tall, and even was covered with vinyl 'chicken wire' over the top. But they still managed to get in somehow...and that huge Mastiff just jumped right over and crashed through the vinyl chicken wire.

We are a bit discouraged.

We will not have chickens again until we can build a chicken house that has overlapping boards, etc. where we can keep them safely locked in over night and let them out into the fenced chicken yard in the morning.

The guy that gave them to us had his chickens running lose on his property for years and had no problem.

Then this year a bobcat got some and now they only have a few bigger ones left that can roost in the trees.

They even had a locking fenced area with 6-8 feet tall chicken wire fencing and down into the ground like we did. Didn't help. Once they get the taste for it, the predators just will not leave them alone.

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, we really miss her and her young ones. Some of her young ones did have chicks of their own before it was all said and done.

Well pictures are not that good but here goes.

A really sweet smelling viburnum, the hedge is about 8' tall.To the left is a forsythia, just at the end of flowering, a gorgeous vibrant yellow in the spring.To the right, a winter flowering honeysuckle.It finished flowering a week or so ago. Tiny white nearly heart shaped flowers on bare wood which have a divine scent.

The Chaenomeles are an odd bunch, they change colours, with pink and nearly white with shades inbetween.The open buds were not worth photographing as they are on their way out. You can sort of see them though.

Lady Caroline Lamb, a pretty in pink primula.Spreads and clumps nicely.

A reddish orange wild cowslip.

pEMbCP2l.jpg

HXZxOryl.jpg

to8Ljzxl.jpg

1xa9sL1.jpg

:breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

Yup I have that red one from the wiki picture in a wooden planter but it is a tad pot bound with not many flowers this year. Colour is a slightly deeper red.

I made the wooden planters from recycled wooden pallets when I moved in to the cabin 14 years ago and they are kaput. Still 14 years ain't bad for two planters that cost a couple of quid.

I'll post a picture if it gets more flowers.

:shifty:

To the right, a winter flowering honeysuckle.It finished flowering a week or so ago. Tiny white nearly heart shaped flowers on bare wood which have a divine scent.

There doesn't seem to be much honeysuckle (spring/summer variety) around my area any more--I guess people don't care for it for some reason. I did walk by a lovely big blooming bush some years ago and was immediately felt 5 years old again--there was a lot of honeysuckle behind where we lived way back then. Edited by ebrke

Guest LilBambi

We have a gorgeous summer vine in one area of the front yard that has small star shaped flower that blooms in late spring. I tried to dig it up to move it one year but it was down like 4-5 feet deep. Maybe bulbs or something. It was really hard to get to it to move it.

The reason I wanted to move it is that it keeps trying to stifle the forsythia that is also growing there.