Jump to content


Could someone explain


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

    Still Version 1.0 beta

  • Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 03:39 AM

Something I've always wondered: is there a preference when it comes to logging off?  Is it better (?) more polite (?) necessary (?) to log off when leaving the site - or does simply closing the window/tab do the same thing?  And if log out isn't useful, why has it persisted?  ;)

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)


Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal


#2 OFFLINE   havnblast

havnblast

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 06:39 AM

Only sense I can see to it is for the cookie issue.  I can see logging off secure sites such as your banking account so that the next person on your computer doesn't have free access to your account.  Boils down to security -  I only log out of secure sites.  Sure someone could sit at my computer and surf into here and start random posting anything with my account, but I know who uses my puter and where they are.

#3 Guest_Paracelsus_*

Guest_Paracelsus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2003 - 11:54 AM

Hi Jeber,Havnblast makes a quite valid point concerning the "security" aspect.   About the only argument I could make for not staying logged-in, if you're not actively at the site is  (Dang-it!!  Make that are, I just thought of another one :P  )...1)  When and if you do log-off and later, back on... posts that where made while you were logged will not show as new, and you could miss something you may be interested in  (But then, your mind is probably quicker than mine)2) Occasionally, members who are logged in like to send PM's as a kind of IM... And if you show as logged, and "The Lights are On... But Nobody's Home" as it were... The sender may feel you were ignoring them.  (BTW... you never did reply to the PM I sent you :(  )Admittedly, both of these are somewhat trivial... But you did ask.(The PM thing was a joke :P  ... One of my Alternate Realities forced me to do that :P   Said I couldn't go to Happy Hour this afternoon if I didn't :P  )  TGIF!!!

#4 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

    Still Version 1.0 beta

  • Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:33 AM

Quote

But you did ask.
  Yes, I did.  And I'm glad I did.  I always liked the idea of not having to log in each time I visit, which can be several times an hour.  But your point about new posts and

Quote

And if you show as logged, and "The Lights are On... But Nobody's Home" as it were... The sender may feel you were ignoring them.
is a point I'd never considered.  I never ignore anyone (ok, almost never), so it pains me to think I may have without meaning to.  (by the way...

Quote

BTW... you never did reply to the PM I sent you
;  I did to respond.  You didn't get the PDF?  That's a shame.  We'll never get a hold of documents like those again.  They'll just claim it was a weather balloon again.   :unsure:

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)


Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal


#5 OFFLINE   Big Jeff

Big Jeff

    Post Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:50 AM

Like all forums I visit, this one automatically logs you off after a period of inactivity. The time period varies depending upon the setting made by the administrator. Near as I can tell, this forum will log you off after an hour of inactivity. I keep all my forum windows open and when I click the refresh button, the cookie logs me back on automatically.

#6 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

    Still Version 1.0 beta

  • Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 03:52 AM

Quote

I keep all my forum windows open
  Thank you, Big Jeff.  I knew somebody would provide me with a convincing argument to support my sloth.  I feel much better about myself now.  :rolleyes:

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)


Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal


#7 Guest_ComputerBob_*

Guest_ComputerBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:40 AM

Big Jeff, on Apr 4 2003, 11:50 PM, said:

Like all forums I visit, this one automatically logs you off after a period of inactivity. The time period varies depending upon the setting made by the administrator. Near as I can tell, this forum will log you off after an hour of inactivity...
You're very observant. I believe that 60 minutes is the default session time for IPB forums. I set my site's IPB forums to 30 minutes, because some of my users are in shared computing environments, like college computer labs, and they tend to run off in a hurry when they're done, forgetting to logging off.

#8 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

    Still Version 1.0 beta

  • Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:55 PM

Say, computer bob, have you noticed that our posts tend to be exact opposites?  Your posts are full of thought-out information, based on experience or knowledge, to the point, coherent...mine are, well, the exact opposite.  The forums are little villages, with enough room for both the wise-man and the idiot.  :DThanks for the feedback, everyone.  I'm now a confirmed logger-offer.  ;)

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)


Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal


#9 Guest_ComputerBob_*

Guest_ComputerBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:02 PM

Jeber, on Apr 5 2003, 10:55 AM, said:

Say, computer bob, have you noticed that our posts tend to be exact opposites?  Your posts are full of thought-out information, based on experience or knowledge, to the point, coherent...mine are, well, the exact opposite...
;) No, I hadn't noticed that. But I have noticed that your posts are usually much funnier than mine. ;)

#10 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

    Australisches Googler

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 01:37 PM

Don't you just love the playful and sometimes meaningful bantering on active forums ... I know I do ... makes an otherwise boring work day fun ... and I don't have to answer to anybody for taking a break in here ... except my alter ego  ... Paracelsus ... you had to remind me of her! She's always getting in my way!  ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#11 Guest_Paracelsus_*

Guest_Paracelsus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2003 - 03:29 PM

ComputerBob, on Apr 5 2003, 09:40 AM, said:

Big Jeff, on Apr 4 2003, 11:50 PM, said:

Like all forums I visit, this one automatically logs you off after a period of inactivity. The time period varies depending upon the setting made by the administrator. Near as I can tell, this forum will log you off after an hour of inactivity...
You're very observant. I believe that 60 minutes is the default session time for IPB forums. I set my site's IPB forums to 30 minutes, because some of my users are in shared computing environments, like college computer labs, and they tend to run off in a hurry when they're done, forgetting to logging off.
Thanks Big Jeff and Computer Bob for the info about BB default auto-log off.  Never new that.  I've alway been a oner-offer-oner-offer.I guess I just love the idea of always having to use my Passwords...  Makes me feel like I'm tapping into something important. :D What can I tell ya...Being an Analytical Chemist can be pretty dull at times. :D

#12 Guest_ComputerBob_*

Guest_ComputerBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2003 - 03:49 PM

Paracelsus, on Apr 5 2003, 01:29 PM, said:

I guess I just love the idea of always having to use my Passwords...  Makes me feel like tapping into something important. :D What can I tell ya...Being an Analytical Chemist can be pretty dull at times. :D
If you get really bored, you could try powering down your PC in between reading each thread. :D

#13 OFFLINE   Jeber

Jeber

    Still Version 1.0 beta

  • Forum Moderators
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 04:13 AM

Hey compbob, you've given me a great idea for a horrible bit of advice in my LG role

Quote

If you get really bored, you could try powering down your PC in between reading each thread
, I hope you don't mind if I steal the concept?  I want to suggest that to properly refresh your screen a reboot is required.  Just have to make it sound logical.  Bad advice is so much easier to give than good advice; less research, more fun.

He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher, an idiotĚ
(Douglas Adams)


Jeber Central
Jeber's Journal


#14 Guest_ComputerBob_*

Guest_ComputerBob_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2003 - 04:18 AM

Jeber, on Apr 6 2003, 02:13 AM, said:

Hey compbob, you've given me a great idea for a horrible bit of advice in my LG role

Quote

If you get really bored, you could try powering down your PC in between reading each thread
, I hope you don't mind if I steal the concept?  I want to suggest that to properly refresh your screen a reboot is required.  Just have to make it sound logical.  Bad advice is so much easier to give than good advice; less research, more fun.
Sure, go for it! And see if you can find a way to add one of my favorite tongue-in-cheek tech support excuses for something not working: Sunspot activity. ;)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users